Is It Practicable To Bring A 1 Year Old To Dubai And Live?

Topic locked
Is it practicable to bring a 1 year old to Dubai and live? Feb 21, 2008
Both parents (my wife and I) have offers of employment in Dubai. I am worried about our baby son (just over 8 months now). I wonder if the heat of the summer will keep us indoors. Is it practical to go on walks?
Any other information or advice would be great.
We also have offers in Sydney, Australia. Which would you choose ??
Thanks

Remicharles1
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 21, 2008
Impossible to go for walks outside from May to October (24 hrs) specially with a todler. You would be limited to home or malls.

Go to Sydney (although I hear it get very hot).

No comparison Sydney is a city - Dubai is a construction site with mall and some ok hotels, overpriced rents and more overpriced "Villas" (villas are either tiny depressing cookie cutter types or huge monstrasities).

All being equal (job opportunity, finance) Sydney is a no brainer - me thinks.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 22, 2008
Thanks.
Is it really that bad ? We have already lived in Sydney and the heat is fine to walk in all year round. You just have to wear a hat and total sun block.
We have accomodation with my wife's job at the Gardens. Can anyone enlighten me on their opinion of the Gardens. It's next to the Gardens Mall.
Thanks. We are still trying to decide what to do with our lives. My wife also has an opportunity in Northern California too !!
Remicharles1
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 22, 2008
In dubai the humidity is as much a problem as the temperature.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 22, 2008
Remicharles1 wrote:Thanks.
Is it really that bad ? We have already lived in Sydney and the heat is fine to walk in all year round. You just have to wear a hat and total sun block.
We have accomodation with my wife's job at the Gardens. Can anyone enlighten me on their opinion of the Gardens. It's next to the Gardens Mall.
Thanks. We are still trying to decide what to do with our lives. My wife also has an opportunity in Northern California too !!

Are you putting us on?

Northern California has got be one of the places to live period!

Dubai, Sydney, Norther California (Bay Area).

No brainer - Norther California.

Dubai does not come even close.

Gardens is crap is a depressing looking place (think "public" housing). Seriously.

Come visit Dubai but not to live specially with those other offers.

I'm concerned though - how does somoene get offers in those 3 places and can't figure out that Dubai should be last choice!

Good luck.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 22, 2008
We've already lived in Sydney but now I have an offer of employment there.
My wife is an assistant professor in marketing and can work in many universities around the world. She has an offer at St Mary's College (Bay area) Northern California. I have no job there but would have to find something whilst there.
We both have offers of employment in Dubai. We feel it is a lot closer to Europe and therefore easier to see family especially with a one year old. The Sydney trip is 24 hours flying and San Fran is a good 20 hour trip too.
Oh, what to do !! We would like to experience the whole Dubai thing but if we come we will want to settle for at least 3 years !!
Remicharles1
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 22, 2008
Concord - you mentioned that the Gardens was crap. Can you tell me if there is a good mixture of Expats living there ? Is it just the design you think is crap. We can live on campus at the American University of Dubai if we want. Do you (or anybody) know what this is like ?

Cheers :lol:
Remicharles1
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum