Pay Grade Scale In Emirates Group

Topic locked
pay grade scale in emirates group Oct 12, 2007
need some help to gauge if i'm being offered a good or bad deal here.

anyone knows whats the pay for grade 7-grade 15 type of job in the emirates group?

will really need help here especially those working as senior engineers in emirates group.

thanks a lot

Mfge_Engr
Dubai Forum User

Oct 13, 2007
anyone can give some advice here please?
Mfge_Engr
Dubai Forum User

Oct 13, 2007
sorry, no idea; although emirates normally offer much better benefits and packages than other airlines (and even employers in the UAE).

surely if they are making you an offer they should be giving you the figures??????
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 16, 2007
finally a reply =)

well they offered me $14000 DHs ( all allowance included) with no housing provided.

I would really like to know if it's even possible to live in dubai with this kind of figures.

as in buy a 60-90k dhs car and live in a single bed room apartment in decent area.

need help guys.......

pls pls pls.......
Mfge_Engr
Dubai Forum User

Oct 16, 2007
14k... depends on the position?

as to your other questions, i doubt 14k is not going to get you a luxuary appartment in a good area and a car and still leave you with much cash left to spend/ save.

you should however be able to afford a decent appartment (about 4.5 - 5k per month), the vehicle repayments on 60k are about 2.5k per month - remember annual license, registration and maintenance on top of that.

if your'e working at the airport you be looking at mirdiff, quasais, karama, bur dubai, deira, the bottom part of shk zayed road or even sharjah to live in without having to commute to far out of your way.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 16, 2007
One-bedroom for 5k would be a pushing your luck in any of the established non-"luxury" areas, but you can get a 1-bd at International City for less than 5k a month, with an easy drive to the airport too.

Since you have moderate expectations, 14k is good money for a single guy.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 16, 2007
thanks guys ,

is it even a good starting pay working for the emirates group as a senior engineer? i only have 2 years working experience. i wouldn't want to be lowballed and get con over from US to dubai.

pls help me with advise.
Mfge_Engr
Dubai Forum User

Oct 16, 2007
Mfge_Engr wrote:thanks guys ,

is it even a good starting pay working for the emirates group as a senior engineer? i only have 2 years working experience. i wouldn't want to be lowballed and get con over from US to dubai.

pls help me with advise.

Hmm, tough one. No one comes here from USA to work for 14k. Do you make less over there after taxes?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 16, 2007
yea i make less after tax cause im a fresh graduate =\. ( work experience was together with going to school )

well for a starting pay what do u guys think? bad offer? or how much should they actually pay me? at least for me to relocate to dubai comfortably? and enough to compromise dropping my masters degree which i am doing now?

am in a huge dilemma.
Mfge_Engr
Dubai Forum User

Oct 17, 2007
Mfge_Engr wrote:yea i make less after tax cause im a fresh graduate =\. ( work experience was together with going to school )

well for a starting pay what do u guys think? bad offer? or how much should they actually pay me? at least for me to relocate to dubai comfortably? and enough to compromise dropping my masters degree which i am doing now?

am in a huge dilemma.

You should probably finish your masters. There will be enough airport jobs here in the near future, with a new airport still under construction.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 17, 2007
not to contradict the entire issue , but i felt like for this position ( seldom occurence) is hardly offered and wouldn't it be better to take up this position , then 2-3 years down the line , finish my masters and be better?

please let me know what you think as well as i would really like to evaluate from all sides.

my advisor/professor has always been telling me a master is jsut a tool to get u where u want to be , and if u can be where u want to be without it then u can finish it off later. anythoughts?

but the salary figure is definately not good right? what is considered fair and very good for a 2 years experience engineer put into a senior engineer position in Dubai?
Mfge_Engr
Dubai Forum User

Oct 17, 2007
What sort of engineer are you, aircraft maintenance? Emirates have a good reputation for maintenance training. I know of two people who worked for them and then were able to pick up good positions in the same industry after they left the UAE.

Possibly evaluate he position based on your long-term career objectives. Earning a lot of money in the short-term may not always is beneficial to your career path; conversely a position that offers the benefits of a fair salary combined with relative work experience could be invaluable!

Personally I’d advocate some real-world work experience before studying further, when the time comes to resume your studies you’ll be surprised by how much of it you already know and have experienced fist-hand. Possibly look at using the time as well to collect data toward your thesis (if you have to present one).
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 17, 2007
dbxsoul: wow thats a real good insight , thanks a lot

i'm an industrial engineer , more to process improvement stuff.

welll i'd really like to know with what they're paying me is enough to buy a nice car (60-80k) range , and afford a 1 bedroom apartment or do i have to share etc....

cause i have no idea how much is living expenses and where is the good area and where is the shady/ghetto area.

insurance etc

i got a feel of how much food will be since i was there only for a weekend

thanks a million guys , i need all the opinions i can get befor ei make the move
Mfge_Engr
Dubai Forum User

Oct 17, 2007
Take the job; look a new car isn’t everything. Firstly there are some damn decent second-hand 4x4’s (check for the service records), and secondly second-hand vehicles don’t have much resale value in the UAE. On the upside new vehicles are cheaper than in most parts of the world due to the low import duties, fuel is cheap as is insurance.

Again the accommodation is a matter of personal taste as well as your expectations, some people would be prepared to live in a slightly rundown place and save some extra money – others wouldn’t.

From a process improvement point of view you have a number of things going for you; it’s a world recognised company, not some small backyard operation, and they put a lot of cash into maintaining their image and public awareness. Make the most of the oppertunerty.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 17, 2007
dbxsoul wrote:Take the job; look a new car isn’t everything. Firstly there are some damn decent second-hand 4x4’s (check for the service records), and secondly second-hand vehicles don’t have much resale value in the UAE. On the upside new vehicles are cheaper than in most parts of the world due to the low import duties, fuel is cheap as is insurance.

Cars are cheaper here than in Europe, but in USA all the cars are cheaper compared to here, hehe. That reason won't work. At least fuel and insurance are cheaper here. :wink:

To my fellow engineer, 14k is an excellent salary here for an entry-level engineer with only 2 years of experience around HERE. I would even ditch masters if I got such an opportunity HERE (since I already live here).

But all that is HERE. Engineering as a whole is a lot more developed field in USA itself, and most foreign students stay back in USA after getting their American degree. That said, employers here bend over backwards to offer higher pay to Americans, and you will live with massive respect here, with a chance to move up quicker than in USA.

...which is why I am finding it difficult to give you a definite answer.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 17, 2007
I'd say the salary for even here is not bad. 14k equates to about 60k usd per annum if you take into account the tax issue. i doubt a 2 year old grad would be getting that in the states!

also, i think the international work experience is a bonus, how many of his fellow students are going to travel outside the country and experience things from a different perspective?

you may also find that the external experience changes his mind on his future career path. out of the 30 odd people who studied with me 25 years ago, only 3 are still in the same industry; others having moved on to other careers when they found something more appropriate for themselves.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 17, 2007
14k Dhs for a 2yr experience (coupled with time spent in uni) is a lot any way i look at it. i say go for it man,, more than the money, the chance on work on some of the most interesting and awe-inspiring projects anywhere in the world while doing something you academically prepared for sounds really really fun :) go for it!
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 17, 2007
dbxsoul: thanks a lot bro.....

studstar: appreciate your opinion as well

gtmash: I really like your two way point of view.

Well if to evaluate the money it is quite a lot even if I am in USA but mainly because I live in a small town in Kansas.

Does anyone here have experience with re-location(fee , shipping own stuff etc)? and what other side benefits that is a must that should come with this salary? Just want to scope out the market to ensure I can get what i could have.

So the main question here will actually be will the $14k be enough for the high living expenses cost of Dubai and with the increasing inflation , i dont know if the salary can keep up with the cost of living there.

I just would like to live in a decent area and get a nice second hand car. Just like a middle class person would live in Dubai . I'm just worried that all my money will go into living expenses and not much left to save.

Well I'm Asian American , wonder if that makes a difference *laughs*.

How much would insurance cost for a 24 year old and what are some of the good area to live in ( not luxury area but decent good) .

Do you guys ever meet up with one another since you are in the same forum and in Dubai as well? like a expat club or such?
Mfge_Engr
Dubai Forum User

Oct 18, 2007
Mfge_Engr wrote:dbxsoul: thanks a lot bro.....

Well if to evaluate the money it is quite a lot even if I am in USA but mainly because I live in a small town in Kansas.

Make sure you bring a pair of red high heels with you, that way if things don't work out in Dubai you can always click your heels together :D

Does anyone here have experience with re-location(fee , shipping own stuff etc)? and what other side benefits that is a must that should come with this salary? Just want to scope out the market to ensure I can get what i could have.

Have a look at the posting "Tips on working in Dubai" that I posted on the "Professionals" section of the forum, it covers a few other things that you may find interesting.

So the main question here will actually be will the $14k be enough for the high living expenses cost of Dubai and with the increasing inflation , i dont know if the salary can keep up with the cost of living there.

Your'e not the only one, I think most people have this problem! Budget on a 10% per annum increase in the cost of living index. Also don't count on an increase in renumeration over your contract period. Have a look at Arnies posts regarding the revaluing of the AED against the Dollar, if this come to pass it would have some benefits to your repatriated earnings.

I just would like to live in a decent area and get a nice second hand car. Just like a middle class person would live in Dubai . I'm just worried that all my money will go into living expenses and not much left to save.

No, not really :) (laughs as well)

How much would insurance cost for a 24 year old and what are some of the good area to live in ( not luxury area but decent good) .

I never had insurance in Dubai when I lived there, besides the mandatory vehicle isurance. It's not worth it unless you own a property for example. Generally things are pretty secure/ safe and the instances of theft very low compared to the rest of the world.

Do you guys ever meet up with one another since you are in the same forum and in Dubai as well? like a expat club or such?

Yep, they have had a few social gatherings, unfortunatley I've never been able to attend one

dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 18, 2007
Mfge_Engr wrote:dbxsoul: thanks a lot bro.....

some companies sponsor shipping,, ask that from your HR contact.

ive ready a good number of posts on this and the answer really depends on your own standards of living, some people can live of 5k, 10k, and some people need minimum 20k for them to consider it enough

again this will depend on your standard of living,, if you spend too much,, any salary you have however big will not have any savings

asian americans are generally known to be more thrifty than caucasians i think but that is just my view

this will depend on where your office is i think, you can search for more info in the 'accommodations in dubai' subforum

studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 18, 2007
thanks guys

so you guys are no longer situated in Dubai right now?

Don't you need to insure a car before you can register it?
Mfge_Engr
Dubai Forum User

Oct 18, 2007
nope, i'm in "Cartoon"

yes, insurance before registration, but the insurance agents normally have premises in the traffic department building, so you can simply get insurance at the same time (it takes about 1/2 hour at most).
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 18, 2007
Mfg_Engr, I work at emirates..what grade is your position? I think thats an alright salary for a single guy, fresh out of college. Will you be based at the Airport?

The only thing at EK is that the base salary is not so great, but the perks are fantastic - flights discounts etc. So count those in as well. I would have thought they could organise some sort of sharing accom. for you, Im pretty sure this is available. Ask about it, it might not be part of the package but surely you can ask them to at least help you out in finding a place, seeing as their rents will probably be cheaper than renting from the market.
DeeDee
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2007
dbxsoul wrote:nope, i'm in "Cartoon"

yes, insurance before registration, but the insurance agents normally have premises in the traffic department building, so you can simply get insurance at the same time (it takes about 1/2 hour at most).

NEVER get insurance from the ripoff-artists/insurance company (only one company) sitting in the traffic dept premises. Take a phone directory, call up some agencies, and get quotes and locations. You'll be VERY happy you did. If you are uncomfortable about locations right now, you could do it the first time, but don't continue the next year.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 18, 2007
DeeDee: could you PM me since you're working there too? what position are are you at? they say they'll start me at Grade 7 and in 12 months time bump me up to grade 8? I have no idea how much each grade gets paid , do you? they only gave me my total salary and told me which grade im at.

I did write a counter offer asking for housing and a slight increase but at the moment there is no reply from them yet( 3 days ago) . Should I give them a call or email them again?

gtmash: i'll take note on the insurance. thanks a lot bro.

Again like to express my appreciation for all the help and opinions offered here guys. It'll help me decide so much more better and faster
Mfge_Engr
Dubai Forum User

Oct 22, 2007
well guys , with all your kind opinion and advise . i took up the job offer.

Would like to know if i'm able to join you guys though for a drink one day =) , chill and hang out in Dubai so i can know the place better?

Need to hunt down accomodation for myself right now since it's not provided for.

So what do you guys do on weekends?
Mfge_Engr
Dubai Forum User

Oct 22, 2007
weekends?????

didn't you read the small print, emirates staff don't get weekends?

:lol:
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 22, 2007
Congrats on the new job Mfg_engr. Emirates is a good company, hope you'll do well and enjoy it. Not sure about the whole bumping up a grade, if its not written in your contract don't guarantee on it happening.
But good luck and have fun :)

As for accommodation, take a look at sharing places on dubizzle and gulf news, theres plenty of listings for flatmates.
DeeDee
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2009
Mfge_Engr wrote:well guys , with all your kind opinion and advise . i took up the job offer.

Would like to know if i'm able to join you guys though for a drink one day =) , chill and hang out in Dubai so i can know the place better?

Need to hunt down accomodation for myself right now since it's not provided for.

So what do you guys do on weekends?

Hi Mfge_Engr,

How do you experience your job by now?
I'm an aerospace engineer and I also am looking for a career in Dubai. Can you tell me something about your experience, you know, the pro's and con's of your offer.

How did you end up with housing?

I'm looking forward to your reply. Might be of help to me.

brgds
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum