Medical Test - What Do They Test For?

Topic locked
Medical Test - what do they test for? Jul 18, 2007
Hi

Am thinking of accepting a job in Dubai and have been told there is a medical test you must take to get your residence visa. Im wondering what they actually test for? Answers have ranged from 'every communicable disease and every illegal drug' to 'just AIDS and TB' - bit of a difference there!

So, does anyone know for a fact what they test for when they take your blood sample?

Thanks

kob

kob1
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 18, 2007
AIDS - if you have aids you will be deported
TB - this is the xray

That's pretty much it
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 18, 2007
if you're in hospitality, child care or similar they'll also test for Hep. HIV is and TB are tested for all.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jul 18, 2007
Thanks for the replies folks - guess its time I come clean about my reasons for asking!

Truth is, I enjoy the occasional joint and want to know if they test for cannabis in the blood sample they take for your medical test. If so, Ill stop smoking now so Im sure its out of my system when I get to Dubai in a couple of months! Thats assuming Im going to take the job Ive been offered.

Can anyone help me out with this? Would be greatly appreciated - dont wanna spend 4 years in a UAE prison if they do test for it!

Cheers

Kob
kob1
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 18, 2007
No they dont test for drugs on the medical - but I wouldnt chance it anyway.
They do test for drugs if you get in an accident.

Besides coming to Dubai is the best way to wean yourself off the stuff.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 18, 2007
i thought they did test for drugs in your system. that is why it was explanined to me that i didn't need to take a drug test before moving over here with a new company.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 18, 2007
Considering a woman on medication was jailed here from the airport itself because the prescription drug is banned here, I'd say a pothead shouldn't risk it.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 18, 2007
gtmash wrote:Considering a woman on medication was jailed here from the airport itself because the prescription drug is banned here, I'd say a pothead shouldn't risk it.

Really :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 18, 2007
scarlet wrote:AIDS - if you have aids you will be deported
TB - this is the xray

That's pretty much it

You cannot test for AIDS!!! HIV yes - quite a difference
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 18, 2007
The Major wrote:
scarlet wrote:AIDS - if you have aids you will be deported
TB - this is the xray

That's pretty much it

You cannot test for AIDS!!! HIV yes - quite a difference

Medically you are correct of cause, but I think we all understood what was meant.
Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 18, 2007
of course it's best to take the cautious approach, but why would they test you for drugs in a medical??

if they had reason to suspect it then of course they'd check, ie if you were in a car accident, but surely they wouldn't take the time and cost of checking you for drugs which if you had in your system would have been taken before you got on the plane to come to dubai.

suspicioun of everyone that moves in the UK and USA doesn't need much discussion, but i don't think that's the same in dubai. moreover, i would doubt the dubai authorities would absorb the added costs of checking everyone who relocates to dubai for drugs which are apparently phenomenally rare here.

plus, testing for drugs through blood is phenomenally expensive compared to through urine, hair, etc. so i would guess that if they were interested in testing for drugs they would be open about it (which would be an added deterant for those coming to dubai who aren't clean) and take a urine or hair sample in addition to the blood sample.

that said, of course it doesn't make sense to chance your luck, but i'd rather have a candid conversation about it rather than scare-mongour.
jcraiggibson
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 20, 2007
Thanks guys for the input - although I must confess to still not really knowing if they test your blood sample for cannabis! Does anyone actually know for a fact?

Scarlet - you seem pretty sure that they dont, and jcraiggibson your argument seems a pretty well thought out one.

I think I will be accepting the job offer, and to be on the safe side I wont be smoking from now on!

Thanks again

Kob
kob1
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 20, 2007
very wise!
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 22, 2007
jcraiggibson wrote:drugs which if you had in your system would have been taken before you got on the plane to come to dubai.

Even if they were, you can still get a 4 year jail sentence if a blood test shows drugs in your system. UK foreign office website has a warning about it I think.

Can't confirm if residency blood test checks for drugs.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 22, 2007
ouch, four years is pretty severe

i think what we're all agreed on is that none of us actually know whether they test for drugs or not, but that it'd be mental to take the chance!!

i read in another thread that dxbsoul looked into the various things they tested for a while back, or someone he spoke to knew about what they tested for, it might be worth checking with him.

if i'm right he said there were about 15 different things they tested for - whilst he prob won't remember all of them he might be your best bet for whether they actually test for drugs or not
jcraiggibson
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 23, 2007
No, they do not test you for cannabis or any other substance.. so relax and take that test. In europe and USA, companies do test you when you first join them, but not in UAE.
do not worry my dear.
run lola
Dubai Forum Guest

Dec 24, 2007
run lola wrote:No, they do not test you for cannabis or any other substance.. so relax and take that test. In europe and USA, companies do test you when you first join them, but not in UAE.
do not worry my dear.

8)
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum