Living With A Partner

Topic locked
living with a partner Aug 20, 2008
Hi

I would like to move to dubai in Feb 09, I have been told that it is illegal for a man and a women to live together if you are not married. I am not muslim however my boyfriend is.

victoriarachid
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 20, 2008
You'll be stoned .... :lol:

Nah im kidding...but i know of many who pretend they're married and its all good
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 20, 2008
Only stoned! Phew! I though they chopped your hands off :roll:

thanks for your reply but what happens when you rent through a company, dont they need proof of who you are? Surely you cant just say you are married.
victoriarachid
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 20, 2008
The rental companies dont check the ID of all who live in the apartment/villa once its rented.

A man and woman can easily pass off as a married couple.. wear rings.

The latest trend amongst landlords is not allowing bachelors to share apartments
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 20, 2008
The renting part should not be a problem.

However, you may want to confirm who is sponsoring your visa. If case you guys are not married, your boyfriend will not be able to sponsor your residence visa.

The only other option is that you come in on a visit visa. Look out for a job and that you get you a residency sponsorship.

The living in part is a non issue though it is legally not permitted.
aliwrites
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 21, 2008
Everybodys screwing around thinking they are married..just rent it then no else cares if u r married or just living in !
Papparazzzi
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 21, 2008
do you have to pay up front for 1 year? what happens if you have to leave, can you cancel your contract and get your money back?

what if you have problems wit the flat? what rights do you have being a tennant?
victoriarachid
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 24, 2008
You really need to pose these questions to teh company that will be employing you. They will have a Public Relations Officer PRO, who should be knowledgable on all your questions.

Good luck !
g00se
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: living with a partner Aug 24, 2008
victoriarachid wrote:Hi

I would like to move to dubai in Feb 09, I have been told that it is illegal for a man and a women to live together if you are not married. I am not muslim however my boyfriend is.

Use the search function, this subject has been discussed many times in the past.

You are correct in your understanding that it is against the law to live together if not married.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum