Life In Dubai

Topic locked
Life in Dubai Jan 13, 2007
Hi everybody,

Could you tell me how it feels for an occidental to live in Dubai, I am concerned about the "liberty" we are used to:

-clothing: are the girls allowed to wear skirts/dress , strapppy or halterneck tops..., is it true that the bikini is not allowed on beaches, if yes is it allowed in private properties (hotels or in your own swimming pool)?

-Is there special issues for teenage girls?

-behaviour: are we allowed to hold hands in the streets or can you express tenderness toward your husband or wife or your kids?

Any further relevant information on the topic are welcome.

Last question: what range of salary do you think is necessary to earn to live a confortable life for a couple with 2 children (9 and 13 years old)?

Thanks for your answers.

cmerlin
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Life in Dubai Jan 14, 2007
cmerlin wrote:Hi everybody,

Could you tell me how it feels for an occidental to live in Dubai, I am concerned about the "liberty" we are used to:

-clothing: are the girls allowed to wear skirts/dress , strapppy or halterneck tops..., is it true that the bikini is not allowed on beaches, if yes is it allowed in private properties (hotels or in your own swimming pool)?

You can wear these clothes, but you also need to understand that you will be around people for whom this is not the cultural norm; so you may be stared at more (especially by men). Having said that it is quite common in Dubai and you will not find much trouble. Beach wear is not illegal - but the same apply s even more so.

cmerlin wrote:-Is there special issues for teenage girls?

Such as? Its a very safe place for children.

cmerlin wrote:-behaviour: are we allowed to hold hands in the streets or can you express tenderness toward your husband or wife or your kids?

Yes. Sounds like you have Dubai confused for Saudi - I see both local and foreign couples walking arm in arm or holding hands quite often (apart from during Ramadan). If you mean full on kissing or petting in public, this is not so accepted.

cmerlin wrote:As for your kids you can give them all the love and attention and cuddling you like

You can kiss and cuddle your kids as much as you like.

cmerlin wrote:Any further relevant information on the topic are welcome.

Last question: what range of salary do you think is necessary to earn to live a comfortable life for a couple with 2 children (9 and 13 years old)?

Depends what you are used to and what you would like - you need to be more specific - this has also been covered a lot in previous posts (try the search).

cmerlin wrote:Thanks for your answers.

No problem - why not come out here for a couple of weeks and find out if you like it.

Most peoples issues with Dubai tend to be the traffic, rents and some internet sites being blocked. Other then that life is very good.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum