Another NOC Question ....

Topic locked
another NOC question .... Dec 03, 2007
I've had a look in the archives but can't find a precise answer for this one..

I work for a Free Zone Company in Dubai. I want to move to a company in Ras Al Khaimah. Having started work for the Dubai co., I'm not happy with the way they do business. I have been told they don't give NOC's just out of principle ( ie spite ) Any ideas who/how I deal with this situation ?

meseta
Dubai Forum User

Dec 03, 2007
have a look at the following site:

http://www.tecom.ae/law/law_11.htm

in particular items 4.7 through 4.10.

this is for the MEDIA CITY FZ, other FZ's may have other articles regulating them. ultimatley you are sponsored by the FZ authority and not the company who employs you. it may be better to take up the issue of transfer with them and not the company who pays your salary, as the FZ authority issues the transfer letter, not your salary employer!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

thank you Dec 03, 2007
most helpful,
many thanks.
meseta
Dubai Forum User

more info on free zone Dec 04, 2007
just visited the admin office at the dubai airport free zone. Posed the question about leaving and working for a non free zone employer. I was told there would be no problem with that, simply bring along an offer from the new company, as long as they area private company and not a free zone company, my residency could be changed to the new employer. There would only be a ban if I want to work for another free zone company; in which case a 6 month ban would be effected.

Hope this helps others !

If you have any experience in this area, contributions would, I'm sure be of interest.
meseta
Dubai Forum User

Dec 04, 2007
Thanks for the feedback! I'm certain that it will help others in a similar situation.

That's quiet odd, as my understanding was that it is not a problem to transfer within free zone companies, as essentially you are sponsored by the FZ authority and are not in fact changing sponsors (which the labour law does allow for - transfers without ban between companies owned by the same sponsor); unless of course this is an internal arrangement between the companies within the FZ, and simply implemented by the FZ authority.

Would be interesting to find out if this is the case
dbxsoul
Honored Member

specific Dec 05, 2007
The chap I spoke to was quite specific, definitely a 6 month ban between Free Zone Companies. Maybe this is just for Dubai Airport FZ ?
meseta
Dubai Forum User

Dec 05, 2007
thanks for that. it may well be an internal regulation.
it would be interesting to see if the other FZ's have the same ruling.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Dec 10, 2007
This might be a stupid question, but what about the other way round? say going from a non FZ company to a FZ company? would the ban apply then?

Many thanks
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

ask them Dec 15, 2007
Approach the FZ you are considering working in and ask the question.

The Dubai FZ seem to be more than happy to help.

Good luck.
meseta
Dubai Forum User

testing the water.... Dec 21, 2007
just about to test the water on this one for real, I'll let you know.......
meseta
Dubai Forum User

entered twice Dec 21, 2007
entered in error
meseta
Dubai Forum User

outcome of the above..... Jan 31, 2008
Well, its all done. After resigning, I made sure that I had a receipt from the company for my passport ( and my wife's ) and departed the company. It was a week short of the first three months, no notice as per agreement. In Dubai free zone, anyway, this is the form as most if not all employees are sponsored by DAFZA and not the empoyer.
As I resigned on the last day of the month, I was expecting hassle regarding salary and, predictably, the company accountant had been told the retain my salary until certain issues were resolved. ( fictitious issues I may add ! ) Immediately I went to the DAFZA admin offices to make a formal complaint. They were superb, helpful, approachable, provided the forms to make the complaint. They reassured me that the company had no right to retain salary and if they had any issues, they had to be addressed separately. Within 15 days, I had all of my salary, expenses etc., and our passports were returned. They were then cancelled and brought to my new employer who has organised the new visas ( residency plus my sponsoring my wife ) and all seems to be going well. So if you are working in DAFZA and want to move to another company OUTSIDE DAFZA, all should work out. I hold a UK passport, before you ask !
Thanks to you all for help and advice.
Cheers.
Feel free to PM if you wish.
meseta
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum