American Female In Dubai?!

Topic locked

Would you move from Texas to Dubai?

Yes!
50%
No.
No votes
It depends how much more I'll be making!
50%
Hell no, u crazy?!
No votes

Total votes : 10

American Female in Dubai?! Jan 18, 2008
Hey guys, I'm thinking about moving to Dubai, I got a job offer there yesterday. I'm a 28yr old American female; how hard would my life be there?

By the way, this forum is pretty cool that it has all these members, but I wish it was more pleasant looking like http://www.dubai.info for example.

Thanks for the help.

Michelle.

MichelleR
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 18, 2008
Hi Y'All...

Well there are similarities between Texas and Dubai: Oil, sand and rednecks! Ours wear long white robes, but they are basically the same.

Things are quite 'Americanised' over here so you will feel at home with certain things, but services and beurocracy could drive you to distraction. As long as you are being paid sufficiently, by a reputable corporation, with enough to pay for the hideously expensive accommodation, then you will probably enjoy it.

There used to be a time people came here as a hardship posting, with the intent of putting enough funds away to make the hardship worthwhile, but those days are gone. Its as expensive here as New York for certain things and there is certainly only a little hardship.

Lots of useful information in the handy 'search' function here on the forum. Thanks for pointing out about the layout...there was a rumour they were going to update when we got 10,000 users, but that was about 5000 users ago! The Mods and Bigwigs at the top will be told!

Best of luck!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 18, 2008
I'vent lived in Texas nor 've I seen it.. but having heard lots abt it.. I think its gonna be same same or all the same.. Except for your friends and that little thing called freedom (to do anything).. sometimes.. not to think that Dubai is a very restricted place..
So you should look at it from the money making point of view and to satisfy that traveller in u..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Jan 18, 2008
Welcome to Dubai Forums, Michelle!

As a fellow texan, I dont think you will notice that much of a difference between there and here as far as certain things like weather and ammenities go. As mentioned above, life in Dubai is certainly more restricted but as long as long as you are not obnoxious about it there is pretty much nothing you can't do in Dubai. For single women, it is a much more safer place to live in than most parts of the world. The cost of living is very high and you don't have the low income govt benefits that you could get there, so just make sure it is financially rewarding for you to make the move. I am sure on a whole you will enjoy it.
Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 18, 2008
Hehe. I get the feeling this post is a very creative way to get you people to click on that link. And y'all fell for it. Maybe Michelle will even carry on the conversation to keep the charade on.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 18, 2008
gtmash wrote:Hehe. I get the feeling this post is a very creative way to get you people to click on that link. And y'all fell for it. Maybe Michelle will even carry on the conversation to keep the charade on.

I think you nailed it :-)

If you really want a good site with info about Dubai, since we're plugging sites, check out my friends site at: www.thedubaiguide.com :-)

I know she put a lot of work into it.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 18, 2008
Thank you guys for all the input. I think I'm gonna go for it! And no I'm not affiliated with dubai.info in any way :violent1:

One more question, are there bars and night clubs that people go to on weekends? And how do the men act there?

Thanks again.
MichelleR
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 19, 2008
MichelleR wrote:Thank you guys for all the input. I think I'm gonna go for it! And no I'm not affiliated with dubai.info in any way :violent1:

One more question, are there bars and night clubs that people go to on weekends? And how do the men act there?

Thanks again.

Welcome to DF

Plenty of Bars & Clubs.

How do men act?, since you have almost all nationalities over here I would say some good some bad, you will have to judge for yourself.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 21, 2008
The locals are generally nicer here.... :wink:
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 23, 2008
I'm a 28yr old American female; how hard would my life be there?

May Be, Better To Ask How Easy (Not Hard) Would Your Life Be There. :P
orik
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2008
^ian^ wrote:If you really want a good site with info about Dubai, since we're plugging sites, check out my friends site at: thedubaiguide.com :-)

I know she put a lot of work into it.

Not so much. Tell your friend that copying and pasting pages from other sites is plagiarism and copyright infringement and theft of other people's hard work. Especially when it's passed off as her own.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 26, 2008
HI,

GOOD CHOICE MOVING TO DUBAI FROM TEXAS. REMEMBER IN DUBAI BEING STUBBORN IS NEVER GOING TO HELP, LIKE AMERICAN SPOILED PRINCESS. :) (NO OFFENSE)

HERE WITH THE RULES AND REGULATIONS IT IS THERE WAY AND/OR NOT EVEN THE HIGHWAY.....MEN ARE NICE UNLESS U DON'T HAVE ANY RACIAL PROFILING PROBLEM.......LIKE IN THE SOUTHWEST ;) OR AS I KNOW THE HIKSVILLE
azm786
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum