Acceptance Of Creditcards

Topic locked
Acceptance of Creditcards Jan 03, 2006
Hey again everyone :) Sorry to be booming u with all these questions..

I have an Eurocard/Mastercard and a Worldcreditcard of my Bank in the Netherlands. How are they accepted in the shops, and the supermarkets?

Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Acceptance of Creditcards Jan 03, 2006
Defo wrote:Hey again everyone :) Sorry to be booming u with all these questions..

I have an Eurocard/Mastercard and a Worldcreditcard of my Bank in the Netherlands. How are they accepted in the shops, and the supermarkets?

If its just a credit card, Mastercard, should be no problem using it here at all :)
jag
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Acceptance of Creditcards Jan 03, 2006
jag wrote:
Defo wrote:Hey again everyone :) Sorry to be booming u with all these questions..

If its just a credit card, Mastercard, should be no problem using it here at all :)

Great, thanks!!! 8)
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 03, 2006
Oh, forgot to ask: What about US dollars? Is it good accepted? (in the taxi for example...)
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 04, 2006
Your best bet is to bring US Dollars and CHANGE THEM to Dirhams. I bloody hate hate hate being stuck behind someone at the shops paying in dollars it's a pain in the a*** takes forever as they have to exchange it all, work out the change in dirhams etc etc etc. But being dollars and then get yourself to the money changer as dirhams are linked to the dollar 3.65 so you'll always get the same amount.

No taxis will not take dollars.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 04, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Your best bet is to bring US Dollars and CHANGE THEM to Dirhams. I bloody hate hate hate being stuck behind someone at the shops paying in dollars it's a pain in the a*** takes forever as they have to exchange it all, work out the change in dirhams etc etc etc. But being dollars and then get yourself to the money changer as dirhams are linked to the dollar 3.65 so you'll always get the same amount.

Can I change that on the airport somewhere? Coz I need to pay my first taxi ofcourse, but I only have USD... (and Euro)
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 04, 2006
Yep there's money changers at the airport. But many of the taxis do have credit card machines.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 04, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Yep there's money changers at the airport. But many of the taxis do have credit card machines.

They do? Aii, thats nice 8)

Btw, my roommate is assuming you CAN pay with US dollars.... Getting confused now... :P But i'll just see whats gonna happen :wink:
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 04, 2006
they accept credit card almost everywhere. In fact, you will see people using credit for even 10 dhs purchase in supermarkets.
FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 05, 2006
FeiPo wrote:they accept credit card almost everywhere. In fact, you will see people using credit for even 10 dhs purchase in supermarkets.

Same thing in Holland. I use my creditcard even for buying a bottle of water, hehe.. :P
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 05, 2006
cheap punk

Don
Ish
ISH
Dubai chat master

Jan 05, 2006
8)
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Jan 06, 2006
Defo wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Your best bet is to bring US Dollars and CHANGE THEM to Dirhams. I bloody hate hate hate being stuck behind someone at the shops paying in dollars it's a pain in the a*** takes forever as they have to exchange it all, work out the change in dirhams etc etc etc. But being dollars and then get yourself to the money changer as dirhams are linked to the dollar 3.65 so you'll always get the same amount.

Can I change that on the airport somewhere? Coz I need to pay my first taxi ofcourse, but I only have USD... (and Euro)

I've never had a prob paying in dollars for a taxi at the airport. Because the Dirham is mapped to the dollar and everyone knows the exchange rate it is pretty widely accepted, some stores even show 2 prices AED and USD.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jan 06, 2006
fayz wrote:
Defo wrote:

I've never had a prob paying in dollars for a taxi at the airport. Because the Dirham is mapped to the dollar and everyone knows the exchange rate it is pretty widely accepted, some stores even show 2 prices AED and USD.

Yeah, my roommate telling me the same thing today. But thanks for the info 8)
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 07, 2006
Yeah but at the shops it's atotal pain in the butt, they take ages to sort it out. I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck behind people paying in dollars, then they try and haggle the price - blah blah blah. Yes the dirham is mapped to the dollar, so there's no big deal in changing it, cause you'll get the same exchange rate when changing your left over dirhams back to dollars, but obviously it's more logical to carry the currency of the country you're visiting.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Acceptance of Creditcards Jan 07, 2006

i have seen ppl using mastercards in markets
hashman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum