Do You Like Martial Arts? Sports?

Topic locked
Re: Do you like martial arts? Sports? Aug 31, 2006
sara_uk wrote:I love martial art, I enjoy watching martial art movies and I started learning kick boxing. Iam going To Thailand to learn muay thai, it is my dream holiday. Anyone here enjoy martial art?

by the way iam not violent person :lol:

You go girl. Keep us updated. Do you have to learn some basics before going there?

girl_glen
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2006
I love Basketball

is weightlifting a sport or a hobby? im not sure
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 31, 2006
mmm before i moved to dubai and became the ummm chubby (but still s e x y mind you) girl that i am, i was on the field hockey, lacrosse, tennis, basketball, swim, and volleyball team. i did kickboxing for around 3 and a half years and took judo lessons since i was 13....all that has changed now....im lucky if i even get to go out for a run -- damn boys.

i kno i kno, there are gyms....well i dont like the gyms here, i guess im just used to the ones in the states + i dont like most of the local girls that go to the gyms...mainly for personal reasons.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 31, 2006
There is one thing that puts me off at the gym.....

Its kind of funny when you see some people (Men and Women) who go to the gym without making an effort on the exercises. Not many people really sweat at the gym.
Always when you go to the gym you have to give it 110%
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

sara_uk wrote:I love martial art, I enjoy watching martial art movies and I started learning kick boxing. Iam going To Thailand to learn muay thai, it is my dream holiday. Anyone here enjoy martial art?

I used to do muay thai and still enjoy a spar now and then - mind you its been ages since the last time.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

girl_glen wrote:

You go girl. Keep us updated. Do you have to learn some basics before going there?

no you do not have to know alot. It is intense training to achieve that. They recommend that for absolute beginner you need 3months and you will be able to take a fight. Iam only going for a month but my personal trainer is kick boxing trained and she is training me, although kick boxing is quite different from muay thai but it will help a lot.
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 31, 2006
i miss thailand, its such an awesome place to be ;(
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 31, 2006
Bleakus wrote:There is one thing that puts me off at the gym.....

Its kind of funny when you see some people (Men and Women) who go to the gym without making an effort on the exercises. Not many people really sweat at the gym.

If you're talking about weights/strength work - I wouldn't use sweat as a measure to the effort people are putting forth. When I leave the gym, I can't move my arms, but there isn't a bead of sweat on me.
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 31, 2006
mraph33 wrote:
Bleakus wrote:There is one thing that puts me off at the gym.....

If you're talking about weights/strength work - I wouldn't use sweat as a measure to the effort people are putting forth. When I leave the gym, I can't move my arms, but there isn't a bead of sweat on me.

some people dont sweat as much when training....thats true

if you have problem where you can move the next day after training, try to do stretches after you done training.....it helps.....oh yes drink loads of water also
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 31, 2006
mraph

i agree I think it is common misconception that if you sweat more then you are doing ok. That why people go to really hot gym trying to squeeze the water out. My trainer told me the best way is to go to well aired gym and any sweat is result of your work out not because of the heat of the gym, that way you are just losing water.
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 31, 2006
When the right time comes, Im going to enroll my son in a martial arts school .... as for sports...its only swimming for me now adays :wink:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 01, 2006
I took taekwondo lessons when I was a teen, even won a school tournament. I thinking of learning something new before I hit the 30's... Anyone hear anything about Krav Maga? It's the latest craze in the martial arts world, and apparently its extremely effective in a real "street fight" situation, unlike taekwondo, which is just a sport.

Does anyone know whether Krav Maga is being taught in the UAE? Since it was developed by the Israeli Special Forces, I doubt if anyone teaches it here.
sgt_noodles
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 04, 2006
sgt noodles

i heared about this one but not sure if it is been thought anywhere!

anyone do capoeira ? it is amazing brazlian martial art, is it a fight a dance??

sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 04, 2006
sara_uk wrote:sgt noodles

anyone do capoeira ? it is amazing brazlian martial art, is it a fight a dance??

its an amazing dance to watch and to do, but i would never use it to fight somebody, it might provoke the other side of kick my ass even more.....you know what i mean?
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 04, 2006
Bleakus wrote:
sara_uk wrote:sgt noodles

its an amazing dance to watch and to do, but i would never use it to fight somebody, it might provoke the other side of kick my a#s even more.....you know what i mean?

lol i know what you mean. someone you fighting and you tell them wait i need to do my dance :lol: but it is use for defense because you can move faster than your opponent, if anyone watched Worrier king made by the same guy who done ong bak. there was a fight in the temple with brazilian doing capoeira
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 04, 2006
now some people are gonna hate me for this but i play cricket and have played professionally, also a bit of TT, BB and used to work out heavily before as well but now? no time. i am just dyin to join a gym, though i get in touch with all these places in dubai for my job i cant join any :(

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 04, 2006
There's a fab Martial Arts and Martial dance place next to Capri Sonne on the Sheikh Zayed Road. State of the art faacilities and an awesome juice bar. Just opened and offering 2 free private lessons and it's open 10am-11pm everyday!!!

I'm definitely gonna take up kickboxing. Need to lose the extra pounds I've gained in Dubai!!!!! Anyone wanna come with?!!?
Princess Banana Hammock
Dubai Forums Talker

Sep 05, 2006
Princess Banana Hammock wrote:There's a fab Martial Arts and Martial dance place next to Capri Sonne on the Sheikh Zayed Road. State of the art faacilities and an awesome juice bar. Just opened and offering 2 free private lessons and it's open 10am-11pm everyday!!!

I'm definitely gonna take up kickboxing. Need to lose the extra pounds I've gained in Dubai!!!!! Anyone wanna come with?!!?

princess can you send me the details i mean the name and contact information, if they are new they are noton my list and i need to add them :)

cheers

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 05, 2006
Great.. Would love to learn some sorta martial arts.. guys pls post the address n other stuff if u get more details.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Sep 05, 2006
Their website address is:

www.xmafitness.com
(T) 04 339 5588

Happy Kickboxing!!
Princess Banana Hammock
Dubai Forums Talker

Sep 05, 2006
Princess if you have not done kick boxing you will defiantly enjoy it. It is very nice sport and fun and you can burn a lot without realising it.
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 05, 2006
Thanks a lot priness. 4 the link.. just waitin for their reply.. i'm an absolute newbie to kick boxing, lets see how does it work out..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Sep 05, 2006
sara_uk wrote:Princess if you have not done kick boxing you will defiantly enjoy it. It is very nice sport and fun and you can burn a lot without realising it.

Its possible to burn calories with a wide variety of activities in a health club. The group classes all come down to one thing, the quality of the instructor. Not only regarding their ability to challenge a heterogeneous group physically, but also to make the class interesting so you'll enjoy it.
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 05, 2006
DaveDXB wrote:tell me abt it.....i used ot be a gym fanatic.

Now i work too much...i had a car accident and spent my fortune on a damn new car.

The best alternative im thinking of is to buy a set of dubmles for abt 250, the whole set with weights n stuff.

-1 long bar
-2 dumbles
- with differing weights

and just lightly exercise for 45 minutes at home day after day

I would pass on the barbell, get a fit ball/swiss ball and a jump rope. When I was doing personal training in people's houses that's what I would bring....and the workouts were really great (if I do say so myself).
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 17, 2006
Bringing this back again since your tube was banned

Look here what age those little cute fighters started, they are so cute
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 17, 2006
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like it sara. Boxing little boys. I love watching WBF, WBC..well mexicans dominate the featherweight, bantam divisions and some asian champions too.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 17, 2006
sara_uk wrote:

*SICK*
Legendkiller
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 17, 2006
Legendkiller wrote:
sara_uk wrote:

*SICK*

Why is it sick?? These kids learn martial art as a way of life not to attack people. Martial art is very important to some countries but sadly, not a lot of people around the world understand the true meaning of martial art.
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 17, 2006
sara_uk wrote:
Legendkiller wrote:
sara_uk wrote:

*SICK*

Why is it sick?? These kids learn martial art as a way of life not to attack people. Martial art is very important to some countries but sadly, not a lot of people around the world understand the true meaning of martial art.

You're right sara, for these kids, its not really a vicious sport but a part of their culture. So how long will your training in Muay Thai be? Sounds really interesting!
brayker
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 17, 2006
brayker wrote:
sara_uk wrote:
Legendkiller wrote:
sara_uk wrote:

*SICK*

You're right sara, for these kids, its not really a vicious sport but a part of their culture. So how long will your training in Muay Thai be? Sounds really interesting!

I would love to go for 6 months but it will be difficult at the moment iam thinking to go for a month.
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat