Workers Forced To Live In Freezing Tent By Recruiter

Topic locked
Workers forced to live in freezing tent by recruiter Feb 06, 2008

A payslip provided by a worker shows that though he was promised an Dh800 salary, he has only received Dh27.

More than 80 workers have been forced to live in a tent by their employer after they refused to work on a construction site.

The workers, from India, have been suffering of what they call "inconvenient conditions" since First Manpower, part of the First Security Group, recruited them three months ago.

The workers said their recruiters promised them work as grocery shop attendants and as cleaners, janitors and porters at the airport.

However, the workers said their recruiters instead asked them to work as construction labourers. They claimed they did not expect that they will be doing "tough tasks in construction sites".

After complaining and asking to be sent back home, the workers claimed that the company management moved them from their labour accommodation to an outdoor tent nearby.

The workers said Dubai Nova Construction and Engineering LLC hired them. After they discovered that they will be working as construction workers, they complained and were forced to live in the tent.

They say that they are living in "a very pathetic and inconvenient conditions and they need immediate attention". The workers also say they have been left without proper food, water and blankets, despite the cold weather.

One of the workers, S.S., told Gulf News: "If I return to India, my parents will commit suicide because they count on me to support them."

Another worker is infected with chicken pox.

One of the workers, who identified himself as S., said they have been sleeping in the cold and "without decent food, but we have been surviving thanks to the benevolence of workers from neighbouring labour accommodation".

An Indian worker in his 20s said: "I was hired for a Dh800 monthly salary, yet after having worked for 15 days the supervisor handed me a salary slip of Dh27 only. I refused to collect it."

"We have registered complaints at the Indian consulate and we are seeking a quick solution," said one of the workers.

Labour: Complaints investigated

A spokesman from the First Manpower of First Security Group blamed the workers and dismissed their claims that they paid Dh10,000 to the agents to come and work in Dubai.

A Labour Ministry official told Gulf News: "A number of workers have complained against Dubai Nova Construction and Engineering regarding their bad accommodation, non-payment of salaries and other inconveniences. Our inspectors are looking into the matter."

Dubai Nova Construction and Engineering company officials refused to comment on the issue.

hack88
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 06, 2008
I would have said 27dhs is about right for only doing 8 hours work

:shock:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 06, 2008
arniegang wrote:I would have said 27dhs is about right for only doing 8 hours work

:shock:

i dont know if 27 dhr is a decent salary for 8 hours work, but i think that if you contract a person to do construction or any kind of job, you have to garantee that person at least 40 hrs per week, so that person can have a decent live
sankyx
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 06, 2008
:D
sankyx
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat