Why Don't Indians Excel At Sports?

Topic locked
Why Don't Indians Excel at Sports? Jan 29, 2012
I was watching the BBC news this morning when they interviewed an Indian girl who was coming over to the UK for the Olympic Games in the summer. They mentioned that India had only ever one one medal in the games and that was for shooting in Bejing. This girl is coming to take part in Ladies Boxing, of all things.

I do like sports but don't really take that much interest in the Olympics so that piece of information was quite a surprise to me.
When you think about it, there aren't that many famous Indian sports personalities. Not that I can think of anyhow!
There was an Indian tennis player a few years back, but I don't remember his name. I can't name an Indian footballer, or even know if football is played in India.

Aren't sports popular in India, and why hasn't India been able to win any medals in the Olympics?

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Why Don't Indians Excel at Sports? Jan 29, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_at_the_Olympics

They also seem partial to some minority sport called cricket.
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Why Don't Indians Excel At Sports? Jan 29, 2012
They do have their own local sport. Very popular, but not too many fans. It's called Dump Diving. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

They do have their own local sport. Very popular, but not too many fans. It's called Dump Diving. :lol:

:D :D :D Hahahahahahahahahahahaha, yes. Poor people are funny.
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Why Don't Indians Excel At Sports? Jan 29, 2012
FTD ,

Well it seems like the BBC may have been wrong when they said India have only won one medal at the Olympics according to Wiki.

It may be me but I can't name a single Indian sportsman.

BTW I have just watched (not all of) the Australian Men's Open. What a fantastic match between Djocovic and Nadal, nearly six hours of fantastic tennis. Those men must be machines. Nadal took his shirt off at the end and I would have paid good money to be able to massage those poor weary muscles.

Congratulations to both.
Bethsmum

At the Dubai Tennis Open they use the nearby gym for changing facilites, physio, pool etc but they also let the regular members carry on as normal. Never saw him in the changing rooms but walked passed him in the corridor, or rather he stormed past me at high speed.

An gym membership and fake beard like in the film Life Of Brian, might get you closer to your goal this year.

Nadal took his shirt off at the end and I would have paid good money to be able to massage those poor weary muscles
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Why Don't Indians Excel at Sports? Jan 30, 2012
You must have heard of Sachin Tendulkar? Apparently basketball is quite big in India, they're also not bad at Badminton either.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

l
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

=
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

i think they got their own sports like "kabadi" where they are good at! But yet you wont find good players in squash, tennis etc etc.

Heres how to tackle a "white" girl who is 5 times bigger than you! They are pushing this sport to be part of Olympics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xq-lvi5 ... ure=fvwrel
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Why Don't Indians Excel At Sports? Jan 30, 2012
rudeboy wrote:Heres how to tackle a "white" girl who is 5 times bigger than you! They are pushing this sport to be part of Olympics!

Are you in training at the moment Rudeboy and what are your chances of taking part in the 2012 games? I expect you would prefer to train hard for a few years and probably take part in the 2016 games. I'll look out for you and good luck!
Bethsmum

Re: Why Don't Indians Excel At Sports? Jan 30, 2012
you will look out for me?? seems like you already going to be participating in it!! Mind you if You were that "white" gal who I had to come up against, i.e smack on her bum and run, than I wouldnt mind participating in this jolly good old game of "KABADI"!!! ;)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Why Don't Indians Excel At Sports? Jan 31, 2012
The dream of every young indian boy is to grow up to be a famous cricket player, either that or a bollywood star. No indian kid likes anything else.
They are pretty good at hockey as well, as a matter of fact it's thier national sport.

Oh...and they're coming up in motorsport as well, not quite at the mark..but they seem to have built an interest.

The kabadi link: it's quite fun to watch actually...they shud make it an olympic sport, it wud spice things up :P
tony89
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat