Where Is Your Home Town?

Topic locked
Where Is Your Home Town? Feb 19, 2011
I bet a lot of Df'ers are like BM and have been around a bit :shock:

I was born in Durham in the UK. My dad joined the RAF when I was four years old and we moved around from then. I remember the day I started school, as if it was yesterday. We lived in Norfolk, in the middle of nowhere. My dad didn't have a car. On the day I started school, I was put on a bus, I had no idea where I was going or what to expect when I got there. I'm sure this experience, along with others, has made me the person I am, as I am fearless. When I look at the kids in the UK now, they are mollycoddled beyond belief. Parents take them to school on the first day and stay with them. The kids only go 3 days a week, half day, and if they are tired (poor darlings) they get to come home early.

We have become a Nation of wimps.

I have two people on my team at work who suffer from stress. One man (loose term) unmarried 40 year old who can't cope with working 30 hours a week and Hannah (I've mentioned her before) who hasn't been since she made a major c.o.ck up at work. Instead of making a re appearance and admitting to her mistakes she has visited the doctor for a repeat prescription of Prozac.

From Norfolk, we were posted to Singapore and from they we lived in WIltshire. My dad then went to work in Sharjah and the family returned to the north-east of England. When my dad returned we all moved to London, and after I left school I worked for the United States Air Force in London. I came in contact (much to the horror of my mother) with a lot of Jews from NY who worked for the AF. BM loved those men, they were the business!

I met my English husband when I was 17 and when we were married we moved to Germany, Northern Ireland, then Cyprus, then Germany, back to England, then back to Germany. Whilst I was stuck whereever my husband was posted to Canada (lucky bugger) and Australia (lucky bugger).

Since I got shot of that loser I have lived in Cumbria in the north of England for the last 16 years. I don't feel that this is my home, oddly enough. I still feel like an ousider here. I have lots of friends at work. They seem to speak a foreign language sometimes. The Cumbrians are a strange breed.

I have had my place in Dubai since 2007. When I land at DXB it feels as if I'm home! How odd is that? I love this place. My heart lifts when I use my e-gate! On the return journey my mood changes when I hit LHR and when I eventually land at MAN I feel like cutting my wrists! Why is that?

Where are you from? Where do you consider your home town is? I don't appear to have one, although I love my England.

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Where Is Your Home Town? Feb 20, 2011
BM, you have certainly moved around a lot. You dont seem to me like the wrist-cutting type, but everyone feels a bit under the weather at times. Thats a human trait.
zonker
BANNED

loved it! Excellent post BM :wink:
I always tell my friends that every person's life is a story itself, and one's hometown is one chapter of his/her story. I enjoy reading biographies in general, and documentary movies are on top of my favourite genres =)

I'll share something from my side soon. Thanks again for ur post!
symmetric
BANNED

Yes interesting post!

I was born in a small town of the north of Iran. I love my hometown because it is the greenest part of my country, everybody in Iran knows north for its beautiful jungles and nature. You have sea (Caspian Sea) in one side and mysterious thick jungles on the other side! It is unique! And it was a great experience for me growin up there, there was always something new to discover!

I moved to Tehran when I was 18 to go to university. 2 years later my sister joined me here and both of us done our studying in Tehran. Now I’m working in Tehran and I’m trying to get out. Not only because I don’t like the government, but also because I like the experience of living in different places and meeting new people. Well I like my hometown but I can never go back living there. Now it is too small for me!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:Yes interesting post!

I was born in a small town of the north of Iran. I love my hometown because it is the greenest part of my country, everybody in Iran knows north for its beautiful jungles and nature. You have sea (Caspian Sea) in one side and mysterious thick jungles on the other side! It is unique! And it was a great experience for me growin up there, there was always something new to discover!

I moved to Tehran when I was 18 to go to university. 2 years later my sister joined me here and both of us done our studying in Tehran. Now I’m working in Tehran and I’m trying to get out. Not only because I don’t like the government, but also because I like the experience of living in different places and meeting new people. Well I like my hometown but I can never go back living there. Now it is too small for me!

Mel,

My last visit top Iran was just about the time the Shah was disposed and I can only say it was one of the most beautiful countries I had ever visited.

You could even ski on the slopes in the morning followed by sunbathing on the beach in the afternoon.

Was a great place.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Yes Drew, that is very interesting about Iran. In the same day, you can go ski, then sun tanning, and hiking or desert camping! All of these options are naturally available in the same time!

And more than nature, amazing historical buildings and architecture, in different cities are some other attractiveness.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

I'll share my grandfather's hometown story with -briefly- some of his life story as its interesting.
I'll speak on his behalf, as if he's telling us his story.

"I was born in 1925 in Bastakiya district in old town Dubai. My father was travelling between Dubai and Bahrain looking after his business. Travelling and sending letters overseas took a lot of time to reach, thus I didn't spend much time with my father who passed away in Bahrain when I was just 8 years old. I never had the chance to say goodbye or even attend the funeral.
I completed my studies in our own local persian school of our district. We used to get our books from our distant relatives and friends in Iran. My teacher's name was Abdul Rahim Janahi, a well known teacher among my Persian community in Dubai. At the age of 12 my wealthy mother decided to send me along with her elder cousins to Bombay in India to complete my studies. I lived in India for 6 years and managed to graduate and I eventually got to learn a lot of the Indian culture and language. At the age of 18, I returned back home to Dubai carrying some items in order to sell them in the small shop that I opened nearby Dubai's creek.

Business was not bad back then, but surely having a place nearby the coasts of Gulf of Oman was much better in term of time-saving than the Persian Gulf as the ships from India & Africa would first stop there before crossing the Strait of Hormuz. I decided to move along with my mom towards Gulf of Oman in a town called Kalba. My business expanded over there, but soon my mom passed away and was burried there as well.

Later on I decided to propose to my 2nd cousin who have already moved there with my uncle who was a weapon dealer. He had two daughters "Fatima-Gol" and "Maryam". My uncle took away my inhertince when I was a kid and didn't give it back to me, nor I asked for it. I decided to start things up again myself. I proposed to Maryam, and then went back to my hometown (Dubai) to get some stuff prior to my wedding. On the way I got shot by thieves who stole my money away and all the goodies that I had with me. I felt so crushed and devastated. Sheikh Rashed bin Saeed of Dubai heard of my accident and sent me aid. Ever since I was shot I couldn't run or walk normaly like others due to my injuries. I lost most of my wealth and eventually Maryam rejected me.

I started my life over again, gradually business was recovered and I proposed to a lady who was also called Maryam, her father was my father's friend from Bahrain. She was an orphan already and raised by my uncle. I settled with my wife Maryam in Kalba ever since and used to go and come back every now and then between Kalba and Dubai. My grandfather who left his hometown in Persia was the first to settle in Dubai and burried in it. I would always pass by his grave and visit my own house in Bastakiya district where I grew up and spent my childhood in. At the age of 84 I passed away and eventually was not burried in my hometown Dubai, rather in Kalba and I was burried next to my beloved mom and my 2 young sons Yosef and Osama who passed away at the age of 25 and 16 accordingly.

My grandfather was burried in Dubai, my father was burried in Bahrain, and I was burried in Kalba.
Three generations, each burried in different cities far away from each other".-- End.
symmetric
BANNED

area 52
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:area 52

Ummm don't you mean Area 51?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I never knew that :shock:
symmetric
BANNED

Sym, I have read your post a couple of times, what a moving story! You really know a lot about your grandfather to have written that. I'm not sure I could come up with all that information about my grandfather. You must be really proud of him and your heritage.

Real life is so much more exciting than fiction, don't you think?

Your Grandfather lived to a grand old age after being shot. What happened to his sons (your Uncles) that they died so young? Was it just ill health?

I have to say Sym, you write so very well in English! You must be very well educated. Your English is as good as mine, and it's my first (and only) language.

-- Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:10 pm --

Is that where the Bombay Home For Retards is situated?
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:

No no ur confused, thats area 69 - What goes on there , I leave to your imagination
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:

No no ur confused, thats area 69 - What goes on there , I leave to your imagination

My imagination isn't on par with yours Zubber, that's for certain.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote: My imagination isn't on par with yours Zubber, that's for certain.

hmm, could be the onset of Alzheimer's ?
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

I don't think so sweetie. it's just that you are weird.

If you haven't got anything to say about your home town, can I suggest you do one? In case this is lost in translation, it means go away.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:I don't think so sweetie. it's just that you are weird.

If you haven't got anything to say about your home town, can I suggest you do one? In case this is lost in translation, it means go away.

You said all this to "go away" ? , Why dont u just stop responding ?
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:

Why don't you take the hint?
Bethsmum

Where is my home town?

Easy question: It is in the US.... :) :)

:lol: :lol:
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:

Mmmm some Zambian in this speaking talko, mumbo from da jungoo?
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Bethsmum wrote:Why don't you take the hint?

What Hint ?
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Where Is Your Home Town? Feb 21, 2011
Tom Jones wrote:Where is my home town?

Easy question: It is in the US.... :) :)

:lol: :lol:

More info Tom! It's a big place.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:Sym, I have read your post a couple of times, what a moving story! You really know a lot about your grandfather to have written that. I'm not sure I could come up with all that information about my grandfather. You must be really proud of him and your heritage.

Real life is so much more exciting than fiction, don't you think?

Your Grandfather lived to a grand old age after being shot. What happened to his sons (your Uncles) that they died so young? Was it just ill health?

I have to say Sym, you write so very well in English! You must be very well educated. Your English is as good as mine, and it's my first (and only) language.

My grandfather is my idol, and despite the fact that he had a strong and very tough personality, yet I loved him more than anything else in the world. During his last 5 years of his life, I took care of him a lot, used to wash him, feed him, accompany him for his medical treatments, and for 3 summers in a row I travelled with him to India for the same reason. He has been through a lot in his life, and so did my grandma whom I promised that I'll name my daughter "Maryam" after her. I have cut short his life story as I tried to spotlight the part of his "hometown" only in order to be objective ;).

My grandparents had 10 children (including my father), 5 of them passed away in early ages, and 2 of them later on. The eldest son "Yosef" passed away due to a car accident in the US where he was studying, and then 2 years later their youngest son "Osama" suffered from MS (Multiple sclerosis) disease and they spent 8 months treating him in germany, doctors said he won't last long so they took him back home. Few weeks later, he was lying down with his head on my grandma's laps and while she was reciting some prayers for him, he suddenly stopped breathing and his hand which my grandma was holding fell down.
My aunte told me that my grandma kept on hugging so tight while crying and refused to let him go :(.

My english isn't perfect, I'm working on it, but thanks a lot for the supportive compliment :wink:
symmetric
BANNED

Still prefer to do a big round around my town where I grew up in, in order to avoid "the house of horror". Left the house as soon as I finished highschool. Lived on the streets for a few days, until a farther of a friend took me into his place. After haven't seen him for many years, I met him again at a BBQ last summer. I have never thanked him. He is a man of not many words. We didn't speak. I just went to him and said "thank you" and he gave a nod. A week after that I heard the man is terminal and can barely function anymore. I am gratefull I still had the opportunity to thank him and get his nod back.
After high school I worked in factories and sold those old cassette tape walkmans on the street. In the evenings I went to university. Life was very hard. Got beaten to the ground many times, literally and as a matter of speech. Every time I cried a little and got back on my feet. Never stole from anybody, never tricked anybody and never complained. Got my two degrees eventually and started living in The Hague, which I would consider my real hometown now. Although most people don't like me and I don't like most people, The Hague is one big "Cheers" for me. I am always happy to be there and other homies are always welcoming.
After a while I started to travel a lot for my work and ended up in Dubai amongst other places. What I loved about Dubai was that everybody had a story to tell. Dubai also made me well off for the first time. And for the first time I felt somebody. Despite all the things that might be wrong with Dubai, I also consider it some kind of hometown. I always comfortable there. Unfortunately many good, nice people left.

The third "hometown" I consider Tel Aviv. Work also brought me there. Love it there, know every inch of the city.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

@FD, Oh FD what a sad story, I feel for you even though I know you are not looking for sympathy. It always amazes me when people can pull through some hard times and come out of the other side in one piece.

I too, consider Dubai to be a kind of home, although I only visit for holidays. I love Dubai.

Good luck for the future FD, you deserve it. You story makes me realise how lucky I have been.

-- Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:19 pm --

@ Sym, well you certainly have some stories to tell Sym. How very interesting! I would like to hear more about your heritage.

How nice to know you looked after your grandparents. Ten children? Wow! Some sad stories there too, children should never die before their parents.

You have much to be proud of Sym.

If only you didn't think all Jews and Isrealis were evil, I wouldn't be so scared of you! :D
Bethsmum

That was very touching FD! Considering your posts, I always thought highly of you.

Sym, very interesting. although I heard some of it before, but still it is nice to read and as I told you before, the courage of this man(your grandfather) is amazing!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Where Is Your Home Town? Feb 22, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:I feel for you

Feel for the bullies. Karma.

-- Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:45 pm --

melika969 wrote:I always thought highly of you.

Gracias.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Where Is Your Home Town? Feb 22, 2011
All power to you FD.

My home town was London, however now I am split between Dubai & Accra.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Where Is Your Home Town? Feb 23, 2011
I think of Brisbane as my hometown. Mainly because this is where I was born, where I usually step off the plane whenever I visit Australia, and where I have been wanting to return to ever since my family left the big smoke when I was 9. Funny thing is that I hated it at the time and it has also become quite foreign to me.
I grew up in the Whitsundays where the relaxed tropical lifestyle suited me much better. However, I never intended on staying there beyond school, nor do I ever intend to move back.
Sydney is where I came of age. I only ever intended it to be a means to something better, and lived for each day, but as soon as I left I realised that Sydney is one of the best places to live, it not The best in the world (particularly for single people and/or DINKs).
Children called for a move back to a more relaxed, safe, affordable environment, and most importantly I wanted to get back north of the border. But after a brief time in Toowoomba, I realised that it was slightly boring, which led to the move to Dubai.
I suppose I could cal the UK home couldn't I. :)
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Why would you call the UK home Ben?

BTW Poor old NZ!
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:Why would you call the UK home Ben?

I thought that anyone who wanted to could claim to be British BM.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat