What Would You Do?

Topic locked
what would you do? Sep 19, 2009
recently I participated in a tender with Emal. I will not mention what products I offered but lets just say it was a tender for a car.

techniqually me and another supplier were accepted.

The supplier had offered Toyota for 1.2 Million Dollars and Mercedes for 1.5 Million Dollars.

I had offered BMW for 800K dollars and Ferrari for 1 Million Dollars.

Emal had a contractor, who would have designed their smelters, buildings etc etc. And the same guys were chosen to decide on which instruments to buy.

So the outcome was that they had decided to buy a toyota for 1.2 million dollars with one year warranty.

Now what cheeses me off is that the purchasing guy didnt know JACK shit about the products which we were offering. If he did know, then I think he would have gone for the Ferrari, which is cheaper then the toyota, much better performance wise and more powerful compared to the toyota. On top of that it came with 5 years warranty whereas the toyota came with 1 year warranty.

What i found out was that the purchasing guy (from the contracting company chosen from Emal) was an indian and happens to be from the same village as the other supplier :S. And I am sure that this purchasing guy was in the pockets of the supplier. Thats fine with me, thats how business is done and world is a tough place to live on.

But who looses out? I am sure that if Emal were to find out that they have bought the oldest technology and paid alot for it, they will be pissed. If budget was a limitation, they could have gone for the BMW for 800K which again comes with 5 years warranty and is again better then the toyota!!.
I am not complaining that I didnt get the order. I believe its my duty as a muslim and as a person who thinks of UAE as their home, that EMAL should investigate this. If they dont want to buy my product, thats fine with me, however they shouldnt pay too much for a old technology, and if they do then atleast they should ask the supplier for 5 years warranty, which I was offering.

I believe that EMAL have been ripped off. Ok 1 million is not a huge sum for the government owned EMAL but end of the day money is money and I believe it has been wasted, instead of being utilized properly.

Now should I make a fuss out of this? If so how should I go about it, should I report it to the media (dont have a chance with the media since they just want to report about how well the metro is doing etc) or should I approach the CEO of Emal directly? Or does anyone know about how to get in touch with the government regarding such cases?

rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2009
I'm sorry but what are you blithering on about? What kind of Toyota costs over a million dollars? A platinum plated one, with diamond interior?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 19, 2009
A million dollar Toyota? 800 Grand BMW? These are cars, right?

right?
abyssdesire
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: what would you do? Sep 19, 2009
rudeboy wrote:Now should I make a fuss out of this? If so how should I go about it ?

You could first type to write a post that makes some sense for starters. What ever contract or what ever crap your talking about and didn't get the contract. I'm not surprised if the email you sent was anything the along the lines the crap you posted here.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 19, 2009
I'd make sure that Emal knew that they've got a bad deal. In this day and age, with the econimic crisis, blah, blah, blah, the bottom line is usually money.
We have a similar sitaution in our company in India, where an indian guy (employed by us) is ripping off our company by awarding subcontracts and adding on a little bit for himself into the bargain, or leasing cars and drivers from his brother's company, and awarding a large glazing contract to his brother's company who have no experience in glazing He's now been grassed up to senior management for further investigation.
Itmay come across as sour grapes if you report it to Emal, but you can do it in such a way that makes it look like you just thinjk they should know about it.
I don't think the fact that it's "government" money should mean that people can get away with ripping them off. After all, Abu Dhabi may have plenty, but Dubai has none, and can't even pay contractors on time. I work on contracts with one Abu Dhabi government company, and i can tell you that price is usually the overriding factor...
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Re: what would you do? Sep 19, 2009
rudeboy wrote:recently I participated in a tender with Emal. I will not mention what products I offered but lets just say it was a tender for a car.

The supplier had offered Toyota for 1.2 Million Dollars and Mercedes for 1.5 Million Dollars.

Emal had a contractor, who would have designed their smelters, buildings etc etc. And the same guys were chosen to decide on which instruments to buy.

So the outcome was that they had decided to buy a toyota for 1.2 million dollars with one year warranty.

Now what cheeses me off is that the purchasing guy didnt know JACK tasty about the products which we were offering. If he did know, then I think he would have gone for the Ferrari, which is cheaper then the toyota, much better performance wise and more powerful compared to the toyota. On top of that it came with 5 years warranty whereas the toyota came with 1 year warranty.

What i found out was that the purchasing guy (from the contracting company chosen from Emal) was an indian and happens to be from the same village as the other supplier :S. And I am sure that this purchasing guy was in the pockets of the supplier. Thats fine with me, thats how business is done and world is a tough place to live on.

But who looses out? I am sure that if Emal were to find out that they have bought the oldest technology and paid alot for it, they will be pissed. If budget was a limitation, they could have gone for the BMW for 800K which again comes with 5 years warranty and is again better then the toyota!!.
I am not complaining that I didnt get the order. I believe its my duty as a muslim and as a person who thinks of UAE as their home, that EMAL should investigate this. If they dont want to buy my product, thats fine with me, however they shouldnt pay too much for a old technology, and if they do then atleast they should ask the supplier for 5 years warranty, which I was offering.

I believe that EMAL have been ripped off. Ok 1 million is not a huge sum for the government owned EMAL but end of the day money is money and I believe it has been wasted, instead of being utilized properly.

Now should I make a fuss out of this? If so how should I go about it, should I report it to the media (dont have a chance with the media since they just want to report about how well the metro is doing etc) or should I approach the CEO of Emal directly? Or does anyone know about how to get in touch with the government regarding such cases?

Blimey !!! First post I read after signign in :roll: what the hell?
Ballbraker
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2009
Which toyota car is worth $1.2 million?? A ferrari maybe but toyota?
DDS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2009
I suppose what rudeboy means is any product..x,y, or z....or a,b,c....or BMW, Toyota, and Ferrari.....
And I think a lot of that kind of thing igoes on in the UAE. Its not what you have, it is who you know, thats what matters...
zonker
BANNED

Sep 20, 2009
zonker wrote:I suppose what rudeboy means is any product..x,y, or z....or a,b,c....or BMW, Toyota, and Ferrari.....
And I think a lot of that kind of thing igoes on in the UAE. Its not what you have, it is who you know, thats what matters...

thank you zonker, yes BMW, toyota and ferrari were just any products. I am suprised that some people have failed to actually READ my post.

This is what I said in my original post people:

"I will not mention what products I offered but lets just say it was a tender for a car"
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: what would you do? Sep 20, 2009
rudeboy wrote:recently I participated in a tender with Emal. I will not mention what products I offered but lets just say it was a tender for a car.

Now what cheeses me off is that the purchasing guy didnt know JACK tasty about the products which we were offering. If he did know, then I think he would have gone for the Ferrari, which is cheaper then the toyota, much better performance wise and more powerful compared to the toyota. On top of that it came with 5 years warranty whereas the toyota came with 1 year warranty.

In a real country you could start and investigation through media, goverment or whoever is in charge. But this is the UAE so move on.
Ballbraker
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2009
ok latest i found out why I was rejected was that Dubal 5 to 6 years ago decided to buy the toyota for 1.2 milliond dollars. And since Emal and Dubal are the same venture, Emal decided to buy the same product even though it is using the old technology. Hard to believe this.

Guys the cars are the products I offered. I just want to show that the other supplier had offered a toyota for 1.2 and a merc for 1.5 million dollars. Whereas I offered a Bmw for 800K and a ferrari for 1 million.

Their low range was a corolla and the top of the range was a merc. My low range was a BMW and top of the range was a ferrari. My top range was cheaper and much better then their low range product i.e the toyota crolla and comes with 5 years warranty.

I know this kind of things happen in UAE but when will it stop? Maybe people like Emal do not about things going on under the table. Maybe they dont know how the purchasing manager in the contracting company, has made a quick buck under the table and will eventually go back to his country and get on with his life, whereas Emal will be the guys who suffer.

If I was a investor I would ensure that I buy the right product at a right price.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: what would you do? Sep 20, 2009
Ballbraker wrote:

In a real country you could start and investigation through media, goverment or whoever is in charge. But this is the UAE so move on.

it is UAEs money that is being wasted. its a small amount but end of the day money certainly doesnt grow on trees. If UAE people don't care about how their money is being wasted then I guess I should move on.

where is UAEKID???
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 20, 2009
LOL
I certainly did not read your post comprehensively (the first line) i was wondering why emal would buy ferraris.. :D
DDS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2009
Hmmm...very confusin deal.
LockerzManager
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: what would you do? Sep 21, 2009

Too many loopholes.......How exactly did you find out that the purchasing guy and the supplier were from the same village? You are assuming they are linked together like a cartel?
Assuming that ur assumptions are free from bias and are indeed right, then complain to whosoevr you have to. Who knows you might even be rewarded for it!

But something tells me ur discontent is nothing but a case of sour grapes coupled with racism. Right? :wink:
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 22, 2009
Hey RB what you need to do is go straight to the head of internal controls at Emal. Intimate him regarding ur findings and let him do the rest.
If ur still not satisfied then get in touch with the external audors, if you can, and intimate them as to ur findings. If it's indeed grave the message will reach the board of directors!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 22, 2009
DDS wrote:LOL
I certainly did not read your post comprehensively (the first line) i was wondering why emal would buy ferraris.. :D

crollas, bmw, mercs and ferraris are just products like product a b c d etc come on guys its not that hard :P
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: what would you do? Sep 22, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:

Too many loopholes.......How exactly did you find out that the purchasing guy and the supplier were from the same village? You are assuming they are linked together like a cartel?
Assuming that ur assumptions are free from bias and are indeed right, then complain to whosoevr you have to. Who knows you might even be rewarded for it!

But something tells me ur discontent is nothing but a case of sour grapes coupled with racism. Right? :wink:

mcl my "discontent" has nothing to do with sour graps coupled with racism. I know you are getting towards my "hatred" of indians and pakis. Yes I have come across sour grapes from india and pakistan. But I will say it again and once for all I dont think all people from those 2 countries are sour.

Yet I will say that most people from those two countries who get jobs like purchasing managers happen to be CORRUPT buggers. They know they are here for a while, so lets make some money under the table while no1 is looking. And the problem is no1 is looking and no1 addresses these problems.

a company such as EMAL had made a big blunder in my opinion not because they didnt go for the cheaper product, but because they went for a product that is using old technology. So come tommorow when there are new steel standards introduced that product wont be able to cope with the new international standards. Thus they will have to spend 1 million dollars again. So they would have spent in total 2.4 million dollars to carry out their day to day routine. Whereas they just needed to spend 800K dollars in the first place.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 23, 2009
Well whatevr you do, keep us posted!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 13, 2009
the time uve spent b!tching about Emal's behaviour could've been better spent by improving your capability/product statements and doing a better job at marketing yourself.
monymoe
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat