What Was Your First Salary...

Topic locked
What was your first salary... Sep 23, 2011
I was in a discussion regarding salaries etc. And made me think of my first "salary"... It was $0.25 per hour.

What was your first salary in $ - even if you were paid in cow pies...

Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: What was your first salary... Sep 23, 2011
Ambassador, why are we talking in USD? I had to dust my google converter off!

My first wage was $6.95 per week, yes, per week. I worked 40 hours per week.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

I can't remember, but it is was guilders.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

My first salary was a pat on the back.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: What was your first salary... Sep 24, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:Ambassador, why are we talking in USD? I had to dust my google converter off!

My first wage was $6.95 per week, yes, per week. I worked 40 hours per week.

I was thinking rupees, turkish lyra or zimbawge dollars but then the conversion gets complicated so i picked greenbacks.

I know you are no teenager but $6.95 per week are 16th century wages :shock:
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: What Was Your First Salary... Sep 24, 2011
My first pay packet was 3 Zimbabwe dollars an hour - but back in the 80s when it had +some+ value. ;

Before the death of the Zim Dollar (and the move to USD) - 3 Zim bucks would have been worth something like .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 US cents (give or take a few million). (seriously)

:shock:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: What was your first salary... Sep 24, 2011
Ambassador wrote:I know you are no teenager but $6.95 per week are 16th century wages :shock:

17c actually Ambassador, but I look remarkably well for my age.

My dad was in the RAF and I was dragged around the world from the age of 4. I went to 4 different Grammar Schools in the same number of years. As soon as I made friends, we were up and off somewhere else. I swore I would never do that to my kids, hence the first two going to boarding school.
The last school I went to was some poshish girls school in London. The girl that was told to befriend me was called Conchita, I can still remember her ugly mot.
I devised a cunning plan to convince my parents it was my life long ambition to be a hairdresser and they swallowed it, hook, line and sinker and let me leave school when I was 15 years and three months old. I got myself a job as an apprentice hairdresser at the princely sum of $6.95per week or £4.50 in real money. I soon realised what a mistake I'd made when I was expected to be pleasant for stretches of up to 8 hours at a time and talk to old ladies who smelled of mothballs, in an effort to get a tip.
As part of my apprenticeship I was despatched to the Revlon School of Beauty in London to train to be a manicurist. I appeared to be quite good at this and my teacher told me she could get me a job at a top man's salon if I wanted. I should focus on feet, she said, and brush up on my massage skills, wear a low cut top and I'd make a fortune.
Men were the same back in the 17c, it seems, Ambassador!
After a year of washing dirty hair and painting peoples toe nails I made my escape and got a job working for the American Airforce in west London. I quadrupled my salary overnight.
That's when the fun started :D
I went to night school after I had my kids and got a shed load of GCE's and studied for my current job at UCL.

(that sounds impressive but it's the University of Central Lancashire 8) )
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: What Was Your First Salary... Sep 24, 2011
That sounds impressive BM!
If ever you are looking for a job, send me your resume. I am looking for someone like you!
BTW, did you brush up on your massage skills? You didnt say. :D
zonker
BANNED

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat