What Was So Special About Saddam?

Topic locked
What was so special about Saddam? Jan 24, 2010
As I was laying in bed last night, I was struck by the strange fact that when people refer to Saddam Hussein, in general they always call him Saddam. I couldn't think of another example where a notorious figure is called only by his first name.

Adolf Hitler wasn't. Joseph Stalin wasn't (Uncle Joe doesn't count). Nobody called Pol Pot, Pol.

Maybe it was that big bushy moustache that made him so approachable name-wise.

Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Re: What was so special about Saddam? Jan 24, 2010
Its about how unique the first/last name is.

On a similar note, Genghis Khan is more often referred to as Genghis than as Khan simply because Genghis is much more uncommon
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

As you talking about Saddam, have u ever tought that all people can be a Saddam or Hitler themsleves? I can gather people like sheikh Eisa, or others that I hate together, pour oil on them and burn them!
Just out of curisity, Others feel the same way or something is wrong with me?!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

There was a campaign to personalise the attack on Iraq. It helps to paint a person as the problem - and they couldn't call him 'Hussein' because that would the run the risk of confusing Joe public in the US when they hear that Bush was meeting with 'King Hussein' or other Hussains.

'Saddam' wasn't referred to as such when he was killing his own people and attacking Iran - then he was the west's 'strong man' in the region. We all know the fact that Rumsfeld visited him twice -but he was also made an honoury citizen of Detroit in 1980 - so he was a 'close friend'!

So, I'd say the reason he's been referred to as 'Saddam' is because of his second name!

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dr Strangeglove wrote:As I was laying in bed last night, I was struck by the strange fact that when people refer to Saddam Hussein, in general they always call him Saddam. I couldn't think of another example where a notorious figure is called only by his first name.

Adolf Hitler wasn't. Joseph Stalin wasn't (Uncle Joe doesn't count). Nobody called Pol Pot, Pol.

How about Tito (not the one from the Jackson Five)? Actually it may have been his last name.
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

Dr Strangeglove wrote:As I was laying in bed last night, I was struck by the strange fact that when people refer to Saddam Hussein, in general they always call him Saddam. I couldn't think of another example where a notorious figure is called only by his first name.

Maybe the only one that comes close is "Dubya" (ironically).
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

Does 'Maggie' count? :D

There's also Mao.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Saddam - by its nature play on subconscious
Sad - Dam - negative words
sad dam - mad man

He was our mate for ages as he was a chilled out (secular) muslim, kinda bizarre now as womens groups now saying they have less rights than under saddam.

I think brits were going to or helped him with a back problem back in the day.
Roadtester
Dubai forums Addict

Yeah Mao will be another. Although most people called him #$#%@ behind his back.
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

melika969 wrote:As you talking about Saddam, have u ever tought that all people can be a Saddam or Hitler themsleves? I can gather people like sheikh Eisa, or others that I hate together, pour oil on them and burn them!
Just out of curisity, Others feel the same way or something is wrong with me?!

No no, when you are finished with pouring the oil, I'll drop some extra gasoline on top and fire it up... :twisted:

Together we'll enjoy the limelight and a picknick hon :wink: :mrgreen:

...another glass of wine madame? :king:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: What was so special about Saddam? Jan 25, 2010
^^^ Ha ha! goooood
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

The strange thing is that he was a good guy once upon a time, similar to Mugabe from Zimbabwe. And now we have the good guy from North Africa MG, who was very much a bad guy a few years ago.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mugabe up until he got 'villa fever' had done some good in Zimbabwe, with literacy rates better than South Africa.
Roadtester
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat