Well Done Qatar And Russia!

Topic locked
Well done qatar and russia! Dec 03, 2010
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9250612.stm

guess its good qatar got the deal sealed as it might be good for the region? 4billion quid to build stadiums?? Is everyone going to be shifting to Qatar and Bahrain than :D

rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Well done qatar and russia! Dec 03, 2010
Russia obviously came up with the reddies at the last minute. We woz robbed. :(
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Well Done Qatar And Russia! Dec 03, 2010
Yes, based on FIFA's offical selection criteria, England woz robbed.
But Russia and Qatar have the money to do it and should do a good job.
Australia is the other country which should have made it further than the first round, which unfortunately illustrates how corrupt the selection process is.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Bethsmum wrote:Russia obviously came up with the reddies at the last minute. We woz robbed. :(

I don't think so. I doubt that anybody except USA can have Summer Olympic and FIFA Championship together regardless of any dirty games of English journalists. They probably think that have the same "power" as in Dubai. FIFA showed that it had been extremely exagerated.
BM, do you have any proof except a disability in keeping $hit inside? :wink:

By the way thak you Ruddy for the congratulation. :D
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Morning RC! What a lovely day it is! I'm fine, thanks for asking.
I've just been watching Sky and they described Russia as a primite country, no thought BM, no way, I know RC and he's dead sophisticated!

I know Mr Cameron hasn't congratulated you to far, so I will do it for him, congratulations Russia on your achievement. The world will be watching.
Bethsmum

I don't watch football, but appreciate how important it is for a nation to host. I think both were chosen because they have the money and resources. Another key thing in FIFA's decision-making was that the World Cup has never been hosted by an Eastern European Nation, nor an Arab/Muslim country.

I am sure both will do well but Qatar's effort will be marred by the giant carbon footprint. That, and no booze.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Well done to Qatar they totally destroyed the complacent US. Awesome stuff. Sunil Gulati did'nt even imagine that Qatar would get the bid, much less destroy them! :lol:

In fact the sheer sums of money Qatar plans to invest is mind-boggling. 50 bill on infrastructure, 4 bill on stadia, and who knows how much else was pledged behind the scenes. There are even talks of a financial bailout of Argentina's domestic league etc etc
Besides Qatar has been working towards this for quite a while now.
They'll probably attain the 2020 Olympic rights too with Jacques Rogge kinda hinting that he'd like to see further interest in the Middle East.

Anyways to Qatar Power! Their whole campaign was simply quite brilliant.

But I fail to understand how democratic countries like London, US or even India can compete with the likes of Qatar, China, Russia etc etc. These countries pump in unlimited amounts of money, whereby in democratically elected countries every step of the way every penny, every dime is questioned. Is that a limiting factor when such economies make bids?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

I surprised Abu Dhabi didn't shoot for this ? Anyways I think it will be greatly beneficial for Qatar. If they still exsit by then that is.
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:I surprised Abu Dhabi didn't shoot for this ? Anyways I think it will be greatly beneficial for Qatar. If they still exsit by then that is.

DDS it's not like you to put a negative slant on things!
I dunno about playing top level footie in that heat tho'. It just won't be the same if they are playing in air conned stadiums, it just won't have the atmosphere you get at the grounds in England. Strange decision but I hope they pull it off.
Bethsmum

desertdudeshj wrote:I surprised Abu Dhabi didn't shoot for this ? Anyways I think it will be greatly beneficial for Qatar. If they still exsit by then that is.

Not that simple, you gotta start small and then build your way to the more major events, one has to have a successful track record of hosting events and Qatar's successful hosting of the 2006 Asian games would've played in the minds of FIFA voters.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Bethsmum wrote:Morning RC! What a lovely day it is! I'm fine, thanks for asking.
I've just been watching Sky and they described Russia as a primite country, no thought BM, no way, I know RC and he's dead sophisticated!

I know Mr Cameron hasn't congratulated you to far, so I will do it for him, congratulations Russia on your achievement. The world will be watching.

Thanks a lot BestMum. I wish you go the same way and reach the same final destination. 8)

Unfortunately I don't watch Sky News before dinner and so have a good digestive system. At least I don't need to consume phenolphthalein to keep my weight at decent level. :wink:

As for Mr. Cameron, he probably think that still controls the half of the World, not tiny island, and thats why was surprised that his whining made zero effect.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Well done qatar and russia! Dec 04, 2010
Red Chief wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:Morning RC! What a lovely day it is! I'm fine, thanks for asking.

Thanks a lot BestMum. I wish you go the same way and reach the same final destination. 8)

Unfortunately I don't watch Sky News before dinner and so have a good digestive system. At least I don't need to consume phenolphthalein to keep my weight at decent level. :wink:

As for Mr. Cameron, he probably think that still controls the half of the World, not tiny island, and thats why was surprised that his whining made zero effect.

Do what?
Bethsmum

He he One more pathetic statement from a high-profile guy, who also think that was robbed recently but his moaning about "reforms" is going to make no effect as well. :wink:
Absolute useless of these actions don't reduce arrogance of the clowns though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9253733.stm
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

RC it is not only the English that are protesting against FIFA. So are the Americans and Australians. It is not just about not winning the bid. The fact is that England was promised 9 votes. When the votes came in 7 of the promised votes did not materialise, they went to Russia. It's a trust thing, we kind of lay a lot of store by that in England.

-- Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:45 pm --

http://soccerlens.com/fa-face-limbo-as- ... est/62591/
Bethsmum

Congratulations to both, and brown envelopes all round!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:Congratulations to both, and brown envelopes all round!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

Touché
:D :D

Brown envelopes indeed. FIFA sold out big time!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Well Done Qatar And Russia! Dec 04, 2010
I think the countries that are chosen for such world events are hosted in those countries that do not have any any internal strife in the name of race or creed, either way the sole objective of these events is profit and advertising, perhaps thats why it couldnt be hosted in queenieland,eu, states or australia, and I think UAE was out also because of its bad name with the ridiculous amount of debt they have accumulated.. yep
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Bethsmum wrote:RC it is not only the English that are protesting against FIFA. So are the Americans and Australians. It is not just about not winning the bid. The fact is that England was promised 9 votes. When the votes came in 7 of the promised votes did not materialise, they went to Russia. It's a trust thing, we kind of lay a lot of store by that in England.

It's the past and isn't going to be changed but somebody puffs out his cheeks even being beaten. Pretty funny indeed. Our stock clown, who popped immediately, only made laugh louder. :wink:

Thanks.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sour Grape Syndrome
desertdudeshj

Red Chief wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:RC it is not only the English that are protesting against FIFA. So are the Americans and Australians. It is not just about not winning the bid. The fact is that England was promised 9 votes. When the votes came in 7 of the promised votes did not materialise, they went to Russia. It's a trust thing, we kind of lay a lot of store by that in England.

It's the past and isn't going to be changed but somebody puffs out his cheeks even being beaten. Pretty funny indeed. Our stock clown, who popped immediately, only made laugh louder. :wink:

Thanks.

Eh?
Bethsmum

zubber wrote:I think the countries that are chosen for such world events are hosted in those countries that do not have any any internal strife in the name of race or creed, either way the sole objective of these events is profit and advertising, perhaps thats why it couldnt be hosted in queenieland,eu, states or australia, and I think UAE was out also because of its bad name with the ridiculous amount of debt they have accumulated.. yep

Naa how does that explain China and South Africa then? I salute Russia, they're gonna pull off the greatest world-cup ever. England has her plate full, Summer Olympics, Rugby WC, how much more do they want. As RC said no way can a country get both. Or maybe they should've stuck with Blair instead.
But in the Middle East I was hoping for something phenomenally huge and grand. A Qatar-Bah-UAE world-cup, with an inter-rail service linking all three countries.
Look at the cricket WorldCup are you telling me India alone couldn't host it? But they share it with Bangladesh and Sri Lanka as well. Likewise past footie WC's have been shared between South Korea - Japan etc etc
The WorldCup has always been positioned as a nation wide event And with Qatar 3 or 4 venues are probably within a 20 mile radius? But I guess the guys at FIFA know best...Reasoning being that going forward smaller nations will no more be overlooked, viva Monaco!
But seriously how can one not fall in love with Qatar's bid? It was slick and had biggies like Zidane, Guardiola all backing it.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Misery Called Life wrote: But in the Middle East I was hoping for something phenomenally huge and grand. A Qatar-Bah-UAE world-cup, with an inter-rail service linking all three countries.

Good point Student or probably Graduate? (Remember Dustin Hofman? 8) ). Recently I read in an article that world-class football infrustructure in S. Africa became absolutely useless after Championship. Moreover it requires huge money for support from this not so wealthy country. The problem is that football is a sport of black majority who cannot pay big money for tickets contrary to white minority who still prefer Rugby.

I also have no idea why Qatar needs a dozen world-class stadiums. That's why the advice of the student, being realized, would help more in development football sport in the ME.
8) 8) 8)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

What about the logistics MCL. Will Qatar build another airport, can you see all the fans landing at Doha? All the stadiums will be in a 40 mile radius, where will all the fans stay and what will they do inbetween matches? I don't see people camping and having a kick about in that heat. Already the talk is of holding it in January. The World Cup will be changed forever. Sepp Blatter is hoping for a Nobel peace Prize by taking the World Cup to all corners of the globe. This was not a footballing decision. None of those FIFA men have ever played, they want sacking, the lot of them. But having said that I wish the Qataris good luck, they have got it and I hope they showcase the Middle East in a good light.

http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm? ... 87729#this

-- Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:45 pm --

desertdudeshj wrote:Sour Grape Syndrome

DDS, you are not a football fan by your own admission, nor a cricket fan, nor a fan of much else that I have seen. You don't understand so why not just button it for once in your life?
Bethsmum

Re: Well done qatar and russia! Dec 05, 2010
I personally think the whole process is corrupt but don't really care as I am sure Russia will host a good world cup and I think its good that they finally gave it to a middle east country regardless of its climate and size.

Off topic - I just hope that they introduce some technology in the next world cup - there were too many poor decisions in the last 2 world cups that would have fundamentally changed the results in the knockout stages. I believe would be simple enough to implement and they have got to sort it out.
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

Well the BBC's Panorama basically killed the England votes with their program on FIFA corruption being aired just days beforehand.

Hey at least in Qatar they'll be no drunk hooligans running riot!

The whole thing is a fix, everyone knows it and it's a real shame.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Well the BBC's Panorama basically killed the England votes with their program on FIFA corruption being aired just days beforehand.

I can agree. Regular English arrogance helped a lot. :wink:
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Well Done Qatar And Russia! Dec 05, 2010
Apparently If JAPAN had won the World Cup bid, they were planning for 3d holographic projections of the actual players (life sized) playing on actual pitches throughout the world. Fantastic Idea, I wished the japs had won the bit.

Japan's incredibly great 2022 World Cup bid involved projecting 3D holograms of the games live onto soccer football fields around the world, allowing folks that can't make it to Japan for the actual games to get a pretty great simulacrum, while standing next to people that look like them and are probably rooting for the same team
http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/03/worl ... lographic/

Its too bad soccer doesnt have cheerleaders on the lines, ;)

Im not sure QATAR or RUSSIA could ever dream of doing what the japs had planned.
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

@ the Japanese Bid : ppl can simply watch the matches in TV.
@ the English Bid : BCC Panorama program 1 week before the competition was not the best idea (but i like that typical british stuff)
@ the Spanish - Portuguese Bid: so many bribes involved was obvious, so the FIFA excutives will have to gave u ur moneyback. :p
@ the Dutch- Belgium BID : you can go with ur friends for lunch and go dutch.. but you cant have the World cup with Belgium and go Dutch (u will have to share ;))
Nadder
Dubai Expat Wannabe

zubber wrote:Apparently If JAPAN had won the World Cup bid, they were planning for 3d holographic projections of the actual players (life sized) playing on actual pitches throughout the world. Fantastic Idea, I wished the japs had won the bit.

Japan's incredibly great 2022 World Cup bid involved projecting 3D holograms of the games live onto soccer football fields around the world, allowing folks that can't make it to Japan for the actual games to get a pretty great simulacrum, while standing next to people that look like them and are probably rooting for the same team
http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/03/worl ... lographic/

Its too bad soccer doesnt have cheerleaders on the lines, ;)

Im not sure QATAR or RUSSIA could ever dream of doing what the japs had planned.

Bloody hell Zubber, that's not the beautiful game, that's something Beth would play on her Xbox. Have you you ever been to a proper match? Cheerleaders? They would get hit by coins, chairs or anything else not nailed down.
Bethsmum

Um.. Guyz, Actually what the japanese had in mind was to broadcast LIVE 3d HOLOGRAPHIC IMAGES, PLAYING ON ACTUAL FIELD, TO put it plainly, say, if a match was going on between BRAZIL and ITALY in and ENGLISH STADIUM for example,

The actual 3d HOLOGRAPHIC IMAGES of each one of the players doing the exact same moves would be projected on AN ACTUAL FOOTBALL FIELD in say for example MOSCOW. THe game was not going to be projected on a screen, but they would be actual 3D LIFESIZE HOLOGRAPHIC IMAGES :)

If say you were not one of those than can afford the tickets for a WC MATCH, Hey you could always go to the stadium to see their HOLOGRAMS play .

Maybe not as exciting as seeing the real thing, but hey, From a tech perspective its absolutely fantastic.

Hope you guyz understand what HOLOGRAMS are :)
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat