WARNING - ATM Card Fraud!

Topic locked
WARNING - ATM card fraud! Oct 05, 2008
Hello All,

Just a warning to make sure you change your ATM pin numbers on a regular basis. Yesterday I received an sms message from my bank that m oney had bee withdrawn from my account. I called to query the transaction, because I certainly didn't make it, and during the duration of the call, my bank account was virtually emptied! This in the space of about 5 minutes!

ATM card skimming is rife here! I have a feeling I know exactly which ATM it was and will never use it again.

PLease be on your guard and take card security seriously. I now have to undergo the painful process of trying to get my money back.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 05, 2008
Hey Choc,

scary thought.... would be interesting to know how quickly your bank deals with this particular claim.

Would also be nice to somehow know which ATM you feel is crooked, may help keep the Dubai Forums users safe.

Good Luck

OTP
onthepalm
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 05, 2008
Yeah, would like to know how they are doing it too.

The banks closed down accounts at the weekend and would not allow anyone to withdraw from an ATM. Apparently HSBC limited everyone to 500Dhs unless you changed your PIN no. They informed people 6 weeks ago, so those who have already changed their PIN have probably had the new one cloned as well.

If someone hacked the bank system and got access to all the PIN numbers, then it shows how insecure all computer systems are over here.

If they were using a machine specific card reader (its a little sleeve that sits inside the card slot of the machine and reads the information on the magnetic strip and matches it to the PIN number you unknowingly give them) then there is little the bank can do.

Lloyds TSB do state at their branches that they will refund anyone who has their money removed fraudulently. Best of luck with any of the local banks!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 05, 2008
well I went into the branch this morning, and the staff were really helpful, they said I will definately get my money back, but it might take a little time.

I have a hunch that the ATM which skimmed the card, is the NDB one in the little market spinneys in Mirdiff. I only ever use that one, and an HSBC one next to work.

The reason I reckon it's the NDB one, is that it always throws up errors and declines transactions, or eats cards for no reason, and there always seems to be dodgy people hanging around it. I won't be using it again.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 05, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:well I went into the branch this morning, and the staff were really helpful, they said I will definately get my money back, but it might take a little time.

I have a hunch that the ATM which skimmed the card, is the NDB one in the little market spinneys in Mirdiff. I only ever use that one, and an HSBC one next to work.

The reason I reckon it's the NDB one, is that it always throws up errors and declines transactions, or eats cards for no reason, and there always seems to be dodgy people hanging around it. I won't be using it again.

Define dodgy... if it's guys giving creepy looks then there are dodgy ppl all around Dubai :lol:

Thx for info though
desert surfer
Dubai Forums Talker

Oct 05, 2008
oops!!! Sorry for you Choco.

I guess its only get worse!! I have now opened another account where I drip feed money into via cheques. I have stopped use the ATM card of my salary account!

I now use the ATM of the new account only where I do not maintain a lot of cash anyway.
DPS
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 05, 2008
I don't have cash.

I do everything by barter.

Anyone want to swap a loaf of bread for a set of rear end bearings for a 2002 Chevvy Lumina LTZ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Oct 05, 2008
No but give me your light sabre and I might consider it!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 05, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:No but give me your light sabre and I might consider it!

Careful missy, thats a Jedi weapon you is asking for!

Knight
Dubai Knight

Oct 05, 2008
Ohhh...that's a headache, Choc, sorry to hear that.

My ATM card expired like a month ago and didn't have the chance to renew it yet....luck in disguise probably...(or laziness) :lol:
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 05, 2008
jeez this is an everyday occurance in the UK.

All you have to do is before you put your card into the machine too hold and wiggle the bit/slot where you put your card in. Then look up into the underside of the ATM to see if anything is attached ie "A Camera".

The skimmers are usless unless they have a camera attached to the ATM because they need to film people keying in their pin numbers. Also avoid ATM's in quiet places usually on a street.

Banks in the UK now have security camera's monitoring their ATM's.

Always use ATMS in very public places ie Malls or inside of banks and not ones that are on placed on streets/roads.
arniegang

Oct 06, 2008
arniegang wrote:jeez this is an everyday occurance in the UK.

All you have to do is before you put your card into the machine too hold and wiggle the bit/slot where you put your card in. Then look up into the underside of the ATM to see if anything is attached ie "A Camera".

The skimmers are usless unless they have a camera attached to the ATM because they need to film people keying in their pin numbers. Also avoid ATM's in quiet places usually on a street.

Banks in the UK now have security camera's monitoring their ATM's.

Always use ATMS in very public places ie Malls or inside of banks and not ones that are on placed on streets/roads.

Surely all the ones on the streets of the UK have been stolen or vandalised by now?

I recall a spate of robberies where the gang used a JCB to literally dig ATM's out of the bank wall!

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat