UAE Bans Import Of Pork To Protect Against Swine Flu!

Topic locked
UAE bans import of Pork to protect against swine flu! Apr 29, 2009
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 29, 2009
Well, banning the import of live pigs would be a good idea, but importing the meat is dumb because you can't catch the flu from dead pig meat.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 29, 2009
The UAE is not the first country to ban the import of Pork over the swine flu outbreak.

Do they actually import live pigs here?
Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 29, 2009
It should be BAN. ;)
Anosh
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 29, 2009
Pork - tastiest meat there is. Nithing like a crispy bacon sarnie with butter and ketchup - yum!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 29, 2009
I'd rather catch the Swine Flu than give up pork!
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Apr 29, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:I'd rather catch the Swine Flu than give up pork!

Amen brother! :occasion5:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 30, 2009
Agreed! You can take away our health but don't DARE take away our swine!
Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 30, 2009
Hopefully Booze is next on the agenda

:pottytrain2:
desertdudeshj

Apr 30, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Hopefully Booze is next on the agenda

:pottytrain2:

If you push through that effort, I will donate money to Anti-4x4 Carbon Emitter Association :lol: 8) :lol:

Gimme my beer you twat, or I'll take your desertbuggie away :wink:
RobbyG

Apr 30, 2009
Well, considering you can't catch swine flu from pork products, it is moronic to ban pork products on those grounds.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 30, 2009
kanelli wrote:Well, considering you can't catch swine flu from pork products, it is moronic to ban pork products on those grounds.

It has political and historical grounds Kanelli. A little wander off subject will evenually lead to KSA and their influence on Abu Dhabi.

Some Emirates are disputing efforts from Iran to claim some Island in front of the coastline. To stand against a nation like Iran you need support and money. So you Unite with brother Emirates and most imortantly you seek regional support. Abu Dhabi seeks support with KSA and you have worldwide influence. Only thing is you now have to make efforts to keep up this friendship. And so you give in to religious request from these hardliners in the KSA....slowly. Pork is next up. :lol:

The financial crisis makes the UAE more dependant on foreign/regional investor nations with Sovereign Wealth Funds. These are the surplus dollar investment vehicles based on oil revenues :wink:

Just the basics of Middle East influences on the Arab peninsula. KSA is like a godfather in the region when it comes to financial aid in times of crisis.
RobbyG

Apr 30, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
kanelli wrote:Well, considering you can't catch swine flu from pork products, it is moronic to ban pork products on those grounds.

It has political and historical grounds Kanelli. A little wander off subject will evenually lead to KSA and their influence on Abu Dhabi.

Some Emirates are disputing efforts from Iran to claim some Island in front of the coastline. To stand against a nation like Iran you need support and money. So you Unite with brother Emirates and most imortantly you seek regional support. Abu Dhabi seeks support with KSA and you have worldwide influence. Only thing is you now have to make efforts to keep up this friendship. And so you give in to religious request from these hardliners in the KSA....slowly. Pork is next up. :lol:

The financial crisis makes the UAE more dependant on foreign/regional investor nations with Sovereign Wealth Funds. These are the surplus dollar investment vehicles based on oil revenues :wink:

Just the basics of Middle East influences on the Arab peninsula. KSA is like a godfather in the region when it comes to financial aid in times of crisis.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
you have gone mad robbyg.. stay in in Dubai economic field cuz you realy suck in politics.
pigs >>>> Iran >>>>KSA >>> political support >>>> surplus dollar investment.

you are loosing it man :lol:
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 30, 2009
uaekid wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
you have gone mad robbyg.. stay in in Dubai economic field cuz you realy suck in politics.
pigs >>>> Iran >>>>KSA >>> political support >>>> surplus dollar investment.

you are loosing it man :lol:

Thats is your wrong summary. Nevermind kid. I'm not even trying to explain this to you since it would end up in the politics forum.

Your mindset in politics is not even anywhere near mine. So don't even think about discussing it here.
RobbyG

Apr 30, 2009
noooo, I'll be crazy to go all this way to discuss it with the mighty robbyg :) suit your self and enjoy it :)
uaekid

Apr 30, 2009
RobbyG wrote:

Well Dubai is a region of high strategic importance and one of America's most committed long term allies. I'm sure Dubai will find ample lenders/donors besides Saudi and big daddy Abu-Dhabi. Don't forget the conspicuous timing of Shk Mohammad's visit to Russia and China, two sleeping giants.
Shk Mo's a wise man, it's hard to see him jeopardize something he built over the last few decades, just to appease some conservative hawks. Besides America has channeling God alone kno's how many billions into Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan. They wouldn't mind a few more into Dubai, to ensure the political equation in the region stays the same.Dubai is a benchmark city in the ME and is way to vital to fail.

Besides watabout goodwill. Abu-Dhabi is on the map becuz of Dubai. Dubai's success has benefited the entire region. That alone should be priceless, more so considering everyone is blindly following Dubai's ways!

KSA may godfather in the region when it comes to financial aid in times of crisis, but nothing compares to Uncle Sam. You even get sexy Wharton grads free.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 30, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Only thing is you now have to make efforts to keep up this friendship. And so you give in to religious request from these hardliners in the KSA....slowly. Pork is next up.

So eventually expats here will have to live Islamic lives? :roll:
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 30, 2009
WhiteJade wrote:
RobbyG wrote:Only thing is you now have to make efforts to keep up this friendship. And so you give in to religious request from these hardliners in the KSA....slowly. Pork is next up.

So eventually expats here will have to live Islamic lives? :roll:

Well, perhaps that statement is overshootin' it a bit. But you can't deny its a sharia law system. And when a nation is debtor to one like KSA, you want the terms on a reasonable level. Its a give and take situation. I don't think the KSA religious leadership is happy how Dubai opens up to Western influences on the Arabic peninsula.

Islamic people don't eat pork. And when you have a situation where disease spreads because of a fat pig/swine. Say goodbye to Pork!

Its not rocket science people. Its simple arithmatic. Money and influence calls the shots. Especially in times of crisis.
RobbyG

Apr 30, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Well, perhaps that statement is overshootin' it a bit.

RobbyG wrote:Money and influence calls the shots. Especially in times of crisis.

Think about Nazi Germany.
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 30, 2009
WhiteJade wrote:

RobbyG wrote:Money and influence calls the shots. Especially in times of crisis.

Thats one way to get all the heads in the same direction. But indeed, you don't have to ask people in the UAE whether they approve or not, since you only have to get the Royal leadership with the head all lined up to get the job done.

Its an easy one for KSA. Not many heads to turn round. Just aim hard at Abu Dhabi. Few ferm demands and bingo, an agreement for financial aid and pork forbidden.

The legislative process is way easier to control when you don't have to give in to several millions of protesting people. You just abandon the right to protest or form a union.
Instead of years of push and pulling by (democratic) parties of interest, it merely takes a few weeks, perhaps a few months to put a new law in place. :idea:
RobbyG

Apr 30, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:I'd rather catch the Swine Flu than give up pork!

:lol:
raidah

Apr 30, 2009
RobbyG wrote:The legislative process is way easier to control when you don't have to give in to several millions of protesting people. You just abandon the right to protest or for a union.

Instead of years of push and pulling by (democratic) parties of interest, it merely takes a few weeks, perhaps a few months to put a new law in place. :idea:

SAD.
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 01, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
WhiteJade wrote:

Thats one way to get all the heads in the same direction. But indeed, you don't have to ask people in the UAE whether they approve or not, since you only have to get the Royal leadership with the head all lined up to get the job done.

Its an easy one for KSA. Not many heads to turn round. Just aim hard at Abu Dhabi. Few ferm demands and bingo, an agreement for financial aid and pork forbidden.

The legislative process is way easier to control when you don't have to give in to several millions of protesting people. You just abandon the right to protest or form a union.

robbyG, you just have to take every case to the extreme huh ! it's just meat man LOL

if the world faces a new threat that may kill millions, a virus that maybe airborne, and the world is yet to know how to treat it or how it spread , shouldn't you take the first logical precaution and stop the source from entering the country ?

or should they wait for your approval where you'll see no political involvement in the issue>>>>> then start protecting the resident of the country ?

wait a minute, some countries are actually starting to kill the infected pig, maybe those pigs are protesters against the government over there and and and were planning to kill the president !!, we shall wait and see what was the big pigs conspiracy was all about, I'll keep you posted robbyG LOL
uaekid

May 01, 2009
Not much of a pork eater here except bacon.
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

May 01, 2009
uaekid wrote:robbyG, you just have to take every case to the extreme huh ! it's just meat man LOL

if the world faces a new threat that may kill millions, a virus that maybe airborne, and the world is yet to know how to treat it or how it spread , shouldn't you take the first logical precaution and stop the source from entering the country ?

or should they wait for your approval where you'll see no political involvement in the issue>>>>> then start protecting the resident of the country ?

wait a minute, some countries are actually starting to kill the infected pig, maybe those pigs are protesters against the government over there and and and were planning to kill the president !!, we shall wait and see what was the big pigs conspiracy was all about, I'll keep you posted robbyG LOL

Yeah, I know I'm overreacting a bit with the pork issue. But don't forget it does work like this. And I'm not really suprised if they did talk to eachother and thought this was the right moment in time to put a stop to the pork. I doubt it too Kid. :lol:

Its the process I really talk about. That is currently one of the serious points I make. Abu Dhabi is somewhat more conservative than Dubai in the end. I think we will see more of those issues over time. Rules getting a bit more firm.

Anyway, getting back to the pork issue. You said its just meat. I don't know if the meat gets imported or slaughtered 'on the spot' in the UAE, but the pork meat itself can't be infected. Its the piggy that gets an infection that mutates to the H1N1 human variant. What I understand is that they stop the meat also. If they only stopped the piggies and swines (like you :lol:) that would be a good thing actually... :lol: :wink: :lol:

J/K kid. You can stay :wink:
RobbyG

May 01, 2009
RobbyG, you are losing it buddy. This thread is about the banning of pork because of swine flu. There is nothing more to it than simple ignorance about how the disease can be spread. Next thing the authorities will be issuing antibiotics to everyone to fight the flu.

If populations of pigs are catching and spreading the disease, then they need to be culled, like hand foot and mouth, avian flu etc. If the virus has mutated and is only being spread from human to human (which is what this seems to be), then why just start slaughtering pigs everywhere and banning pork meat? The humans are the ones spreading it, and you can't get swine flu from eating pork meat!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 01, 2009
kanelli wrote:RobbyG, you are losing it buddy. This thread is about the banning of pork because of swine flu. There is nothing more to it than simple ignorance about how the disease can be spread. Next thing the authorities will be issuing antibiotics to everyone to fight the flu.

If populations of pigs are catching and spreading the disease, then they need to be culled, like hand foot and mouth, avian flu etc. If the virus has mutated and is only being spread from human to human (which is what this seems to be), then why just start slaughtering pigs everywhere and banning pork meat? The humans are the ones spreading it, and you can't get swine flu from eating pork meat!

I just said I was overshooting it a bit. You are right Kanelli. The issue is ignorance about the spreading of the disease.

I just wanted to feel what its like to be a hardliner. I now wonder why you never tell UAE kid why he's losing it. :lol: :wink: :lol:

As if you gave up hope for him some time ago already 8) :lol:
RobbyG

May 01, 2009
com'an robbyg you know he Arabs hardly agrees on any thing neither does the GCC countries and they are not about to start with the pigs :)

beside all of them needs the foreigners, I hardly think hey cut off your favorite food . coming to think of it , it's kind of funny hearing one of you ordering in a restaurant ( oook lets see ... can I have a camel meat, well done with a zip of pork flavor sauce for the old time sack LOOOOOOOL
uaekid

May 02, 2009
RobbyG wrote:

I don't think this particular issue has anything todo with Saudi Arabia, it looks like a complete misunderstanding by the MoH.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

May 02, 2009
:cry: pork stew and pork adobo gone
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat