Sheikh Eisa Story Gaining Traction

Topic locked
Re: Sheikh Eisa story gaining traction Jan 19, 2010
RobbyG wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:
RobbyG wrote:I think MCL makes a good point here.

Public perception is the key word. Just look at how a small group of muslim extremists are ruining the name of islam for millions of people around the world. It is they who get all the media attention. Same leverage happens in favor of the Indians in Australia or as a negative response to torture from a fascist elite of a ruling family...

People react to the media perception even though its a minority issue. Media gives those minorities some leverage and people respond accordingly.

Like I said, not a single dime from my pocket is coming into the UAE in the coming years. Multiply that by a 1000 persons, a million, two million, 10 million, 50 million people...

You get the idea.

Rob, would you mind if it went INTO your pocket?? Don't tell me that if you didn't find a job to your liking and it offered a good package, you would say NO based on the event surrounding Sheikh Eisa. Would you also be taking into consideration what Herve wrote? On that subject I will comment as I have given it further thought and have had more insight to his situation.

I would have to say you are contradicting your own words by saying that the media is giving the situation leverage and people (you) are responding accordingly.

BB, wasn't it clear to you already?

I had enough of UAE practices and are moving on to other International opportunities. I'm glad I woke up before I had to curb my personal freedom of expression. It certainly would have backlashed on me. You cannot deny one's inner core. I speak out.

I cancelled an Abu Dhabi interview that I received last week (applied for in October). There are plenty of opportunities out there and I'm taking a stance here.

My decision. My character. Can't love with that.

you cancelled on a job interview in AD LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL thats is rich LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

uaekid wrote:you cancelled on a job interview in AD LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL thats is rich LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Rich in character, yeah

You could learn a thing or two from my firm backbone Kiddo. :wink:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Well in the big picture just about every time a bomb is dropped innocent people get killed. They do not get to be tried in court. Where's the justice there? No media coverage for their families suffering or very little. The media finds stories like the OP's so people can feed on it. People turn a blind eye to mass genocide in Africa and dwell on a single case. Its all so much BS.
canuckbid
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Torture Sheikh story gaining traction Jan 19, 2010
uaekid wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:
uaekid wrote:one unfair law in the USA for example is that with out the dead body you can not convict a criminal even if he admits it, showed pictures of him self killing or video taped it. it is an unfair law but it is there and has to be used in court. we don't like it and it is obvious "the killing" but it's there. you know what I mean ? I really don't care much for essa more than I care for a realistic point of view.

Here is a reminder of a case in Dubai. This man admits to having killed the woman. He disposed of her body but it has yet to be found. He has also told the police of 4 different locations. So, here he admits to having killed her, but yet he is being put on trial. In light of the fact that they cannot find the body, his sentence would be reduced, but based on his own admission, and evidence, he will be convicted. And if there was a video or photos of his criminal act, I can assure you the sentence would be heavier, but not as heavy as if a body was produced. Your understanding of the law is off base. But wait --- is it possible it's because the accused and the deceased are expats?? Different laws being applied here?? What civilized country would actually let someone off who admits to killing someone, there is evidence, there may be photos, there may be eyewitnesses, but because there is no body, there is no case??

http://www.mg.co.za/article/2008-09-21- ... of-madness

Mark Arnold, the man being held by Dubai police in connection with the disappearance of South African Kerry Winter (35) allegedly confessed that she died after he beat her during "30 seconds of madness", the United Kingdom-based Mail Online reported on Sunday.

Arnold (42) a British national, admitted that Winter died after he had hit her three times on the head with a stick during an intense fracas on August 20. The confession was made during a telephonic interview with the British newspaper from his police cell in Dubai.

'It was 30 seconds of madness .. . I think I hit her three times ... she died because of me," Arnold told the paper.

The executive with an interior design firm said he then hid the body on his boat and went to work as normal before returning the following evening to dump it at sea. Arnold previously denied killing Winter, who had lived with him for five years. He insisted that she was alive when he left her at the side of the road after they had argued.

"It was a total accident," he said.

"I am not a violent man and I am not a murderer. It was an accident but she died because of me and I am willing to take my punishment. I am prepared to admit to the truth but I do not want to be fitted up."

Winter's brother Clint, who recently arrived in Dubai to "tie up loose ends" told the South African Press Association police had informed the family of Arnold's confession.

But the family say they will not rest until Winter's body is found.

"He has already said he disposed of the body in four different places, so we don't know," he said.

According to Clint, Arnold has not yet been charged in the matter relating to his sister but he did face a charge for assaulting a neighbour at Winter's home in Al Barsha on the night of her disappearance.

Arnold told the Mail he bumped into Winter at a bar when an argument ensued over their relationship which ended in May on August 20. He followed her when she left the bar and drove back to her villa.

"She came up to me and hit me and we got into a scuffle. I hit her with a stick which I had picked up in the villa grounds -- I think I hit her three times. Kerry slipped but she got up. It was 30 seconds of madness for the both of us. I assaulted her.

"There is no excuse. I have never assaulted anyone before. I am a family man and this was 30 seconds which ruined my life," he said.

He alleged that Winter was bleeding from the head wounds he had inflicted but she agreed to go with him to a quiet spot where they could talk. He said he cleaned her wounds and they then fell asleep.

"When I woke up, she was dead. I was horrified, so scared. I can only think that she had a thin skull or something like that because she was OK when we got in the car. I was scared. I tried to cover my tracks and put Kerry on my boat and left it anchored off shore," he said.

"I returned after work and drove around for four or five hours and ended up putting Kerry's body into the sea. I do not know where."

Arnold may be charged with manslaughter, which carries a maximum ten-year sentence but if a body was found and forensics indicated a savage beating, he was likely to face a murder charge. This carries the death sentence although this is rarely carried out, the report said. - Sapa

bora,

you are quoting my statement of a USA law and you are giving a UAE example !

http://www.tdcaa.com/node/1497

and I might be mistaken but it is a lawyers excuse more than it is a law ,it goes by the "absence of a body" an of course there are different circumstances in every case .

What are you talking about? Did you actually read the article. It says that Texas law does not require a body to charge murder.
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

Kid, this was your post:

one unfair law in the USA for example is that with out the dead body you can not convict a criminal even if he admits it, showed pictures of him self killing or video taped it. it is an unfair law but it is there and has to be used in court. we don't like it and it is obvious "the killing" but it's there. you know what I mean ?

If I recall, you posted somewhere where you compared UAE and US law that they were similar. The only quote I could find relating to your statement is: "but as long as the law goes which I provided earlier in this thread is the same law [referring to UAE law] the USA uses...". For some reason the comparison you made seems to have dropped off the board. :shock:

I'm curious about one thing that I just noticed in your statement: we don't like it and it is obvious "the killing" but it's there (this referring to USA law). When you say "we" who are the "we" you are referring to????

Kid, the laws as they are written in the UAE are not, I repeat, not taken from the US. These are the laws that the country has set out. If you want to make a comparison, it's like apples and oranges. Two very different things.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Kid, this was your post:

one unfair law in the USA for example is that with out the dead body you can not convict a criminal even if he admits it, showed pictures of him self killing or video taped it. it is an unfair law but it is there and has to be used in court. we don't like it and it is obvious "the killing" but it's there. you know what I mean ?

If I recall, you posted somewhere where you compared UAE and US law that they were similar. The only quote I could find relating to your statement is: "but as long as the law goes which I provided earlier in this thread is the same law [referring to UAE law] the USA uses...". For some reason the comparison you made seems to have dropped off the board. :shock:

I'm curious about one thing that I just noticed in your statement: we don't like it and it is obvious "the killing" but it's there (this referring to USA law). When you say "we" who are the "we" you are referring to????

Kid, the laws as they are written in the UAE are not, I repeat, not taken from the US. These are the laws that the country has set out. If you want to make a comparison, it's like apples and oranges. Two very different things.

hon I referred to the USA bcz I was talking to you. and I did not say they are similar ,what I mean is that there are ways and laws many lawyer use for their advantage to set their client free and in so many case the guilt was obvious and clear, this is how they make money, right, . I'm sorry if I miss led you unintentionally.

Do you think all trials are fair ? I hope not. Many uses money power, political enforcement and business power.

Take Microsoft and the monopoly accusation that was against it, the USA government interfered when the court wanted to shut it down.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

uaekid wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Kid, this was your post:

hon I referred to the USA bcz I was talking to you. and I did not say they are similar ,what I mean is that there are ways and laws many lawyer use for their advantage to set their client free and in so many case the guilt was obvious and clear, this is how they make money, right, . I'm sorry if I miss led you unintentionally.

Do you think all trials are fair ? I hope not. Many uses money power, political enforcement and business power.

Take Microsoft and the monopoly accusation that was against it, the USA government interfered when the court wanted to shut it down.

The thing about law is that many laws are subject to interpretation. And if a lawyer can justify his interpretation then it flys. To put it another way, and don't take offense: The Koran is open to interpretation as well. Five people can read a law or a passage in the Koran, and you will get five interpretations.

As for all trials being fair?? Money talks, criminals walk and connections count. In the Eisa case, it was a matter of walking because the connection was there - being a member of the Royal Family. His "trial" was a farce and a mockery to any justice system.

As we are sure that the sun will set and the moon will shine, that's how sure people are about Eisa's guilt. Eisa didn't miss a step in his life. For him it's business as usual, with a slap on the wrist from his family and a warning never to do what he did again, or, don't get caught doing it again. :)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat