- - - - -

Topic locked
- - - - - Sep 12, 2007
message is too short

project3030
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 12, 2007
You must have left here having one or two friends, why don't you have them contact the Shop owners and try to clear the outstanding debt before you arrive.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 12, 2007
Actually the only friends that I knew have relocated to other countries.

But what do you think ? can I be blacklisted over that amount ? will they let me go if I repay the debt at the police station ?

Can they blacklist me using my name, which is very common. But they dont have my passport # or personal information.
project3030
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 12, 2007
i dont think its an issue bro, just when you come back pay the 350 dirhams

there is no way somebody is going to sue you for that or put you in jail for that.
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 12, 2007
thank's a lot, im just really freaked about going to a middle eastern jail over something like that!
project3030
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 12, 2007
Here is what I think:

You are still being dishonest about the debt. Your concern is about getting back to Dubai because of a debt you admitedly owe.

Since you owe the debt pay it and not just because that will get you into Dubai but because you owed the debt.

Simply send the money to the shop regardless of whether or not you will get back to Dubai. Or send the money to me.

I know, from your post, that it was a tragic circumstance (sorry to hear that) but there are ways to pay (and you still can make payment - it is less than $100!).

I don't think it would be a problem for you to get back to Dubai. In all likelyhood the shop keepers, because they trusted you, won't have any proof that you owe the money (no personal information from you, no signed receipts of the merchendise, no purchase order, etc.). Still it will be the right thing to do to make payment. Do you realize that most likely a poor store clerk was made to pay the amount which you did not pay (and his/her salary was probably 700 dhs). Thinking of it you should send the shop 500 dhs!

Good luck on your second stint in Dubai.

p.s. I seem to remember you borrowed 100 dhs from me back in 2003. I expect payment of that as well.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 12, 2007
I totally agree with you, once im back on U.A.E soil I will go to Sharjah track down the store and repay my debt.

Don't know if I can repay your debt but I will be more then glad to buy you a drink !
project3030
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 12, 2007
project3030 wrote:I totally agree with you, once im back on U.A.E soil I will go to Sharjah track down the store and repay my debt.

Don't know if I can repay your debt but I will be more then glad to buy you a drink !

Glad to hear.

Good luck.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 12, 2007
If there is a police report against you, the airport officers will probably stop you right there and then. Happened to a guy with a stolen mobile phone, according to the papers.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 12, 2007
gtmash wrote:If there is a police report against you, the airport officers will probably stop you right there and then. Happened to a guy with a stolen mobile phone, according to the papers.

You see now this could be your fate, who knows how much information the shopkeeper has about you.
What Concord says is correct, arrange somehow to pay the debt. This way you will be safe, the last thing you want is to be arrested at the airport and then have to try and prove that you are a good guy.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 12, 2007
I will pay the debt but that shopkeeper *might* know my name and that's all, he doesn't have my passport details or anything like that.

If I do get detained at the airport for such a small amount of money, can I pay it right away? or will I be hauled off to jail over $100

In the meantime im going to see how to send them the money its been about a few years
project3030
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 12, 2007
By the way, is there anyway I can know if there is a police case against me? how do you find out ? who do you contact ? ks there a number that you call which let's you know that your on the blacklist ?
project3030
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 12, 2007
HEEEEEEEEEY RELAAAAAAAAAAX

350 Dirhamz is not 20,000 and no one is going 2 open a police case am 99.9% sure

Just when u will be back 1st thing u do is pay it n thats it
LeYa
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 14, 2007
I will track down the stores that I owe money to, thats for sure. I guess im freaked out by all these stories about innocent people going to jail over very minor things, in my opinion, that is no way to treat a honest law abiding citizen, people can easily lose confidence in a justice system like that.

Does anyone know what is the minimum amount of money it takes for them to open a police case against you and blacklist you? plus what other personal information they need to know to stop you at the airport, im guessing passport number because anyone can have the same name.
project3030
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 14, 2007
You can transfer money to any DF member living in dubai to help you + it should include the taxi fair :P
abdulnafees
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 14, 2007
For 350 Dhs I seriously don't think they'd lose much sleep over it. Shops and the like have insurances to cover loses and things like that. Now if you'd disappeared owing 100,000 Dhs in loans, credit cards etc, as someone I know did, then you'd be in the poop.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 14, 2007
The poor shopkeeper was good enough to give you credit, the least you can do is make the effort to pay the man back.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 14, 2007
project3030 wrote:I will track down the stores that I owe money to, thats for sure. I guess im freaked out by all these stories about innocent people going to jail over very minor things, in my opinion, that is no way to treat a honest law abiding citizen, people can easily lose confidence in a justice system like that.

Does anyone know what is the minimum amount of money it takes for them to open a police case against you and blacklist you? plus what other personal information they need to know to stop you at the airport, im guessing passport number because anyone can have the same name.

A man was put in jail for farting in front of a woman at the hypermart counter once apparently. Also "they" don't think ahead far enough to realise that two people can have the same name. They detain, and then they check. It is possible though that the little grocer didn't go through the hassle of filing a police report.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 14, 2007
so what your saying is just by having a persons name is good enough for them to put you on the blacklist ?

so for the immigration authorities to stop you all they need is your first and last name only ?
project3030
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 14, 2007
by the way, for such a small amount of money , less then $100 how long will I be in jail for? suppose I can pay the owed amount right there and then, will I be released immediatley?
project3030
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 14, 2007
Can I ask a question, you’ve put a lot of effort in posting here, and because it is the season I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt and will believe you may have ‘forgot’ but you obviously remember now. Have you ever tried to pick up the phone and call the store? That would put your mind at ease and if you are sincere about repaying your debt what do you have to lose?

If you don’t know the number post the location or the name, or heck send me a pm and I’ll call directory assistance for you, I won’t even ask you for the 1 dirham charge back.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 15, 2007
I appreciate your help fayz, honestly I don't remember the name of the store, however, I know both of the indian stores are located in the immediate vicinity of the mona lisa apartment building in sharjah which is right across from the giant supermarket, by the Karachi Darbar restauraunt by Sharjah Mega Mall, hope this helps.
project3030
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 15, 2007
Also I owed money to Delmon cafeteria which is also located by the Karachi Darbar restauraunt by Sharjah Mega Mall in the Al Qasimiyah area * I believe it's Al Qasimyah*
project3030
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 15, 2007
how did you get a tab with all these stores?
i usually pay for my bread, water etc when they come to deliver it at home.
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 15, 2007
they kept on telling me that I could pay later and gave me store credit, I never signed for anything it was an oral agreement
project3030
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 15, 2007
There should be a court order against you to be black listed, and since they dont have any ID of you, it will be hard and more expensive to go to court
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 15, 2007
So what your saying is that because they have no Identification of me and they *might* remember my full name, that im probably not on the blacklist, correct ?

you see I don't know anyone who can pay those poor shop keepers, I forgot their names and numbers, I had to leave in a panic and didn't have the time to wait for the shops to open so I could pay them that one morning in Sharjah.

Uaebadoo is there anyway that I can find out if there is anyway police case against me ? or anyway I can find out that im on the blacklist ?

also, let's suppose in the worst case scenario I do get detained at the airport for this small amount, what next ? is there a small claims court in your country? is this a deportable offense? can I pay the penalty right there and then at the airport ?

A lot of expats believe nothinig will happen to me because it's such a small amount but as a local your telling me the exact opposite, I will appreciate your feedback, thank you.
project3030
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 15, 2007
project3030 wrote:So what your saying is that because they have no Identification of me and they *might* remember my full name, that im probably not on the blacklist, correct ?

you see I don't know anyone who can pay those poor shop keepers, I forgot their names and numbers, I had to leave in a panic and didn't have the time to wait for the shops to open so I could pay them that one morning in Sharjah.

Uaebadoo is there anyway that I can find out if there is anyway police case against me ? or anyway I can find out that im on the blacklist ?

also, let's suppose in the worst case scenario I do get detained at the airport for this small amount, what next ? is there a small claims court in your country? is this a deportable offense? can I pay the penalty right there and then at the airport ?

A lot of expats believe nothinig will happen to me because it's such a small amount but as a local your telling me the exact opposite, I will appreciate your feedback, thank you.

Fayz has offered to help, at least contact the shop. Here they can throw you in and toss the key, so you better pay.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 15, 2007
sage what do you think if they have no ID of me, they really can't blacklist me, can they ?
project3030
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 15, 2007
Who gets the impression this person ran away from the UAE oweing a lot more than just Dhs350??
mac01
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat