Top 10 GCC Richest Indians!!!!!!!!!!

Topic locked
Top 10 GCC Richest Indians!!!!!!!!!! Oct 06, 2010
10. Sunny Varkey, GEMS - $650m

Millionaire Sunny Varkey is the epitome of a self-made man. His education group, GEMS, has morphed from a single Indian primary school to the biggest provider of K12 education in the world. Under Varkey’s steer, Global Education Management Systems (GEMS) today teaches 100,000 students in 100 schools across 11 countries.

9. Dr P. Mohamed Ali, Galfar - $725m

As the founder of Galfar Engineering and Contracting Co, Dr P Mohamed Ali has earned his stripes as one of the Gulf’s leading entrepreneurs. From its start in 1972, the firm has grown into the single largest private sector employer in Oman, with an annual turnover of more than $1bn and more than 27,000 staff.

8. Tony Jashanmal, Jashanmal Group - $800 million

With roots dating back to 1919, ‘Jashanmal’ is a household name across the Middle East. The group began trading in Basra, Iraq, with a single store. Today, executive director Tony Jashanmal leads a UAE-based corporation with multi-channel activities across the GCC and India.
image003.jpg
Tony Jashmal

7. Rajen Kilachand, Dosdal Group - $900m

Founded more than six decades ago in Mumbai, the Dodsal Group has grown into a multinational conglomerate with interests in engineering, mining, trading and hospitality.

6. Ramesh Prabhakar, Rivoli - $950 million

Ramesh Prabhakar is the managing partner, of the UAE-based Rivoli Group. In 1988, Rivoli Group sold just one watch brand as the company fought to establish itself in the Middle East. Today, it is one of the region’s largest importers and retailers of luxury brands.

5. PNC Menon, Sobha Developers - $1.25bn

Born in Kerala, Menon migrated to Oman in 1976 to launch an interior decorating business with a partner. In 1995, spotting a gap in the real estate market back home in India, he founded Sobha Developers, named after his wife in Bangalore.
Today Sobha is one of the largest companies in Oman’s construction industry. Menon remains chairman of the firm.

4. Yusuff Ali MA, Emke - $1.3bn

For any UAE resident, the Lulu chain of hypermarkets is a familiar sight – but it’s just one of the many brands held by the Emke Group.
The group boasts an annual turnover of $3.5bn globally, and is one of the largest Indian-owned conglomerates in the Gulf, employing more than 22,000 people from over 29 countries.
image007.jpg
Yusuff Ali

3. Chhabria family, Jumbo Group - $1.45bn

From his humble beginnings as a radio-parts trader in Mumbai, to his final role at the helm of electronics conglomerate Jumbo Group, the late Manohar Chhabria was a business force to be reckoned with. Following Chhabria’s death in 2002, aged 56, his wife, Vidya, and three daughters, Komal, Bhavika and Kiran, took over the running of his business empire.

2. BR Shetty, NMC Group - $1.7bn

Entrepreneur B R Shetty is managing director and CEO of the Abu Dhabi-based New Medical Centre (NMC) Group of companies. With initial interests in hospitals and hospitality, Karnataka-born Shetty has since diversified into sectors including pharmaceuticals, financial services, retail, real estate and IT
image008.jpg
BR Shetty

1. Micky Jagtiani, Landmark Group - $2.65bn

Billionaire ‘Micky’ Jagtiani is head of the conglomerate Landmark Group, and one of the most powerful figures in the Middle East retail industry.
Launched in 1973 with a single Bahrain store, Landmark Group has grown into one of the Gulf’s largest retail empires. Today, its brands span from children’s fashion, footwear and cosmetics, with additional interests in leisure, hotels and electronics. With 900 stores in 15 countries, Jagtiani’s operations now turnover $3.2 billion a year and employ 31,000 staff.

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Top 10 GCC Richest Indians!!!!!!!!!! Oct 06, 2010
Umm this list is compiled by whom?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

And to think they can be deported at a drop of a hat, after having invested their lives and millions here.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Chabriah was an arrogant dirt bag. I for one am glad he isn't around to enjoy his wealth. Could only hope that his family is p*ssing it away!!!!

-- Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:14 pm --

desertdudeshj wrote:And to think they can be deported at a drop of a hat, after having invested their lives and millions here.

Yup, but they can take their money with them............Invested millions???? More like they made millions!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Thats what I meant, its about time they start thinking about some kind of citizenship or atleast permanent residency. This temp workforce thing cannot last forever.

And are you stalking me ! LOOL ...got ya with that one.

Cheers
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Thats what I meant, its about time they start thinking about some kind of citizenship or atleast permanent residency. This temp workforce thing cannot last forever.

Cheers

Stop that!!

DD, in all honesty, if they allowed citizenship, they would have to give it to any nationality that would meet the "criteria" established by the government. I don't think being wealthy would be a criteria tho. If giving citizenship away, the UAE would being giving itself away. It's bad enough that the locals are the minority, nevertheless losing their country to outsiders that were given citizenship based on what? It would allow these "citizens" to get involved in government, policy making, etc. Something that the locals will not allow. When the issue of citizenship was brought up some years ago - before freehold - by the Indian community leaders, the UAE knocked it down. Few expats are given citizenship and those that are given it are Arabs.

These people aren't going anywhere as there is a long established understanding between them and the powers that be.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Yeah, lets just be second class citizens for all our lives. Who cares if you grew up here, spent all your life here, contributed to its growth.

I wonder how America would have been if all the immigrants were sent back on boats to Europe once they were no longer of use or couldn't find a job.
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Yeah, lets just be second class citizens for all our lives. Who cares if you grew up here, spent all your life here, contributed to its growth.

I wonder how America would have been if all the immigrants were sent back on boats to Europe once they were no longer of use or couldn't find a job.

DD don't compare the two. Apples and oranges.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Not really. And your all for it because it does not affect you because you can always go back home, but what about people like me a forgotten generation if you will. This is my home and yet its not.

Sorry there is no way I can agree with you on this one
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Not really. And your all for it because it does not affect you because you can always go back home, but what about people like me a forgotten generation if you will. This is my home and yet its not.

So what Nationality are you DD, I understand you came to the UAE as a 5 Year Old, where were you born?
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nope when I was six months old. My little green passport tells me I'm from Pakistan. But I would exchange it for a old second hand tyre atleast thats more usefull.
desertdudeshj

Re: Top 10 GCC Richest Indians!!!!!!!!!! Oct 07, 2010
desertdudeshj wrote:And to think they can be deported at a drop of a hat, after having invested their lives and millions here.

Actually that Jashanmal guy has got citizenship/nationality (I'm not familiar with the lingo).
Otherwise why does he go around dressed like this,

The other two Yusuf Ali and Shetty I think are both on diplomatic passports with the Indian government, so deportation is the least of their concerns.

Besides once you've made it that big in life mundane issues like visas, passports naa they're non issues. So many other countries would gladly role out the red carpet for them. Besides the bigger issue is if they did'nt have political skills would they have made it that big in the first place?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

desertdudeshj wrote:Not really. And your all for it because it does not affect you because you can always go back home, but what about people like me a forgotten generation if you will. This is my home and yet its not.

I'm not all for it, I understand it. I'm not saying its right or wrong; it is what it is. When you reached the age of independence you chose to stay here rather than go to another country where you would have had an opportunity to get a passport or return to Pakistan. You chose to make the UAE your home knowing that getting citizenship was virtually impossible.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

How do you know I had a choice ?
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Thats what I meant, its about time they start thinking about some kind of citizenship or atleast permanent residency. This temp workforce thing cannot last forever.

Cheers

citizenship, for what? making those millions that mostly are transferred to their home country or making jobs for his own people. citizenship is about belonging to the country heart and soul not from living here for years or making money witch I believe didn't contribute even 10% to any of the country national issues.
uaekid

^^^^ See what I mean,
desertdudeshj

uaekid wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:
Cheers

citizenship, for what? making those millions that mostly are transferred to their home country or making jobs for his own people. citizenship is about belonging to the country heart and soul not from living here for years or making money witch I believe didn't contribute even 10% to any of the country national issues.

Uaekid, just because some people here are extremely materialistic (expats and nationals) doesnt mean every expat is like that. Many expats care more for the UAE than many of its citizens.

There are business leaders here who fill their company with 99% expats, what are they contributing to the UAE's economy ?
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

uaekid wrote:

Cheers

Kid, you are right back to what you claim you wouldn't do. I guess you just can't help yourself. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

BlackburnRovers wrote:
uaekid wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:
Cheers

Uaekid, just because some people here are extremely materialistic (expats and nationals) doesnt mean every expat is like that. Many expats care more for the UAE than many of its citizens.

There are business leaders here who fill their company with 99% expats, what are they contributing to the UAE's economy ?

true that, but I'm talking about expats gaining a citizenship to any country,they should be contributing to the country they call home. and my reply was to those in the original post businessmen not all expats.

-- Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:23 pm --

Bora Bora wrote:
uaekid wrote:

Cheers

Kid, you are right back to what you claim you wouldn't do. I guess you just can't help yourself. :lol:

probably you misunderstood what Meant.I'll speak my opinion without fighting.
uaekid

So your saying no expat has ever contributed to this country. And what about the ones you think have, if you have such thoughts ? And what about those nationals, who just feed of sponsorship fees and govt hand outs, should they be stripped of theirs ?
desertdudeshj

Im trying so hard not to share my opinion regarding this topic, but all I can say is that there are guilty people from both sides. However, I just feel so depressed from many disappointing fact. :(
symmetric
BANNED

desertdudeshj
Well before drifting out of the original the posted subject as usual witch is “rich expats” I’m sorry I’m not being shallow to agree to give citizen ship based on how much money they got.
Now going to another category of expats, how did you come to a conclusion that I said “no expat has ever contributed to this country” ? I’m talking about those in the thread. focus desertdudeshj.
Talking in general I believe expats who are here or any where else in this matter are some where else than their home country to contribute to them selves before contributing to the country, me and you know that. So why should they be rewarded a citizenship for concerning of them selves ?
Don’t get me wrong ,I know what expats do here, but its not a reason to the country to honor them with citizenship.
P.s no one gained anything nor did the country promised them anything but work, so no one is stripped out of anything.don't get dramatic on me. relax and enjoy the Iranian and Brazilian game in AD

-- Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:37 pm --

symmetric wrote:Im trying so hard not to share my opinion regarding this topic, but all I can say is that there are guilty people from both sides. However, I just feel so depressed from many disappointing fact. :(

don't be , that's what forums are here for, to let it all out. and it would be nice to hear your voice, I know you are not an extremist l like me :D more than a moderated one, so lets hear it symmertic , we are all ears .
uaekid

Re: Top 10 GCC Richest Indians!!!!!!!!!! Oct 08, 2010
uaekid wrote:probably you misunderstood what Meant.I'll speak my opinion without fighting.

Got it!!! No fighting, just insults. :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

uaekid wrote:Talking in general I believe expats who are here or any where else in this matter are some where else than their home country to contribute to them selves before contributing to the country, me and you know that. So why should they be rewarded a citizenship for concerning of them selves ?
Don’t get me wrong ,I know what expats do here, but its not a reason to the country to honor them with citizenship.

Oh please spare me the routine . Lets see how long this borrowed workforce thing works for you. Obviously you have no idea how the world works, ofcourse you wouldn't while you sit safe in your cocoon. Lets see how long that protects you from the real world. Ignorance is bliss, and is safe with you head stuck in the sand.
desertdudeshj

I had the pleasure of meeting the douchebag from EMKE group about 2.5 years ago. I had no idea that he was worth that much then, or now. My company (CSI) did some BMS for their garbage outlet in Khalidya Mall in AUH. He was displeased with progress, I was displeased with payment. As a newbie to the country, I dutifully attended a meeting at his request. When I went to his office (that had no parking..shock), I was choked that he was late and I had driven from DXB.

I had no clue who he was, but I remember thinking how cheap his office fittings were (no-name flat screen, crappy furniture, cheapest-of-the-cheap coffee). This was my first high-level meeting in the UAE and I was a little ignorant. After seeing how the boss lived, it became clear why we had not been paid. Our meeting became a bit heated, he threw out some racial slurs and threats at me in the first 3 minutes (I am a honkey) and I ordered myself and and our delegation out of the meeting. I then told him that I would not be subject to his abuse, ordered my crew off site and returned home.

An apology and check were delivered the next day. I see this guy getting honoured all the time and it makes my skin crawl. I hope he chokes on his cash.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Money does not buy taste, ethics and integrity.
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:
uaekid wrote:Talking in general I believe expats who are here or any where else in this matter are some where else than their home country to contribute to them selves before contributing to the country, me and you know that. So why should they be rewarded a citizenship for concerning of them selves ?

Oh please spare me the routine . Lets see how long this borrowed workforce thing works for you. Obviously you have no idea how the world works, ofcourse you wouldn't while you sit safe in your cocoon. Lets see how long that protects you from the real world. Ignorance is bliss, and is safe with you head stuck in the sand.

wow,now we need to grant all the work force the citizenship? beside I believe our visas are as good as a citizenship. this is my opinion as a local desertdudshe not as the president of UAE. the government knows whats best for the country.
uaekid

dubaidog wrote:I had the pleasure of meeting the douchebag from EMKE group about 2.5 years ago. I had no idea that he was worth that much then, or now. My company (CSI) did some BMS for their garbage outlet in Khalidya Mall in AUH. He was displeased with progress, I was displeased with payment. As a newbie to the country, I dutifully attended a meeting at his request. When I went to his office (that had no parking..shock), I was choked that he was late and I had driven from DXB.

I had no clue who he was, but I remember thinking how cheap his office fittings were (no-name flat screen, crappy furniture, cheapest-of-the-cheap coffee). This was my first high-level meeting in the UAE and I was a little ignorant. After seeing how the boss lived, it became clear why we had not been paid. Our meeting became a bit heated, he threw out some racial slurs and threats at me in the first 3 minutes (I am a honkey) and I ordered myself and and our delegation out of the meeting. I then told him that I would not be subject to his abuse, ordered my crew off site and returned home.

An apology and check were delivered the next day. I see this guy getting honoured all the time and it makes my skin crawl. I hope he chokes on his cash.

Usually the (now) rich who were once dirt poor, more often than not, are cheap tightwads.

The late Sam Walton, once the richest man in America, used to drive an old beat-up pickup truck to work. Warren Buffet, the now second or third richest man in the world, is still living in the same old house he’s lived in since 1958 -- which he bought for only $31,000!!!

But at least these guys were raised with better manners, and did allocate a huge portion of their wealth to charity!!!

Unlike the guy you met in AD...., for sure!!!

8) 8)

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Very true, TJ. Did not know about San Walton, but the "Oracle of Omaha" still amazes me. He does nothing flashy at all and is rallying with Bill Gates to distribute 90% of their wealth when they die, not to mention the gazillions they have donated already. If the EMKE guy was at least polite and decent, I wouldn't care that he is loaded. That meeting is etched in my head, as it was within 2 weeks of arriving here and I remember thinking "what is wrong with these people?". I guess in retrospect I can say that I "tuned in" a billionaire and got what I wanted.

Oh, and the payment we required? A paltry 70k AED. That's it! Wouldn't you think he would have minions to deal with it? (mind you, I would not give him access to his own control room in the mall till he flapped up the payment)
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: Top 10 GCC Richest Indians!!!!!!!!!! Oct 10, 2010
dubaidog wrote:I had the pleasure of meeting the douchebag from EMKE group about 2.5 years ago. I had no idea that he was worth that much then, or now. My company (CSI) did some BMS for their garbage outlet in Khalidya Mall in AUH. He was displeased with progress, I was displeased with payment. As a newbie to the country, I dutifully attended a meeting at his request. When I went to his office (that had no parking..shock), I was choked that he was late and I had driven from DXB.

Actually being austere is a great way to paint an endearing image of urself to the public. Indian tycoons like Ratan Tata, Azim Premji... have all benefited immensely via public relations campaigns from this humble image of theirs. Like Premji a man worth sometin like USD 8 or 9 billion, still travels economy class, drives a car worth sometin like 50,000 Dhs etc etc. Ratan Tata another tycoon runs a conglomerate worth sometin like 50 bill is known for his modesty too. Remember though this are the older guys, the younger guys are lot more flashier. So my guess is that this EMKE guy is also trying to follow that route. That said being austere shouldn't include being tacky and rude!

It's great though that you did throw some light on the true character of this personality!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat