Tighter Rules And Provisional Licences For Young Drivers

Topic locked
Tighter rules and provisional licences for young drivers Nov 01, 2009
At last the RTA sees sense! A much better idea.

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll ... 19845/1139

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 01, 2009
Agreed, let's see how far they get with it though.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 01, 2009
I am curious to see how this will be enforced
Searcaigh
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 01, 2009
Searcaigh wrote:I am curious to see how this will be enforced

Hey just curious, is Searcaigh a cool name for Zacariah? :lol:
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 01, 2009
it won't do much if only applied in Dubai and not in UAE .beside the fact that most accidents are caused by older ages ,ppl who are already with driving license, my thought is to take all your licenses and gives you other driving tests LOOOOL
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 02, 2009
I disagree Kid, the majority of Emiratis that I see driving like maniacs are the young ones. The older generation are far better behind the wheel.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 02, 2009
Was chatting to guy in his early 30's whose in abu dhabi MOT - 6 of his friends have died in car crashes.
Roadtester
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 02, 2009
Roadtester wrote:Was chatting to guy in his early 30's whose in abu dhabi MOT - 6 of his friends have died in car crashes.

Doesn't surprise in the slightest. And now what's his attitude toward driving? Has he learnt anything?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 02, 2009
Probally not
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 02, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:
Roadtester wrote:Was chatting to guy in his early 30's whose in abu dhabi MOT - 6 of his friends have died in car crashes.

Doesn't surprise in the slightest. And now what's his attitude toward driving? Has he learnt anything?

lol 30 is not YOUNG, its quite old :D and most possibly he could be a non-emarati. I dont think most accidents are created by young guns but by taxi, bus and truck drivers.

Honestly speaking everyone likes to drive fast thats if you got a fat car under your feat. Obviously if you got a toyota or a honda you wont feel like driving fast because you cant with those kind of cars :D so dont think this new policy will work. They need to do something else like maybe ban fast and powerful cars? Or get all the manufacturers like Honda, Toyota to put a computer speed lock on all the cars that are being shipped to UAE.

Everyone likes to speed and they will do so even when they know that speeding kills!!!.

Imagine travelling from Sharjah to Al Ain like I do most of the time and honestly speaking I go over the speed limit. I am thankful to God that nothing has happened to me so far but what can you do? Drive at 80kmph from Al Ain to Sharjah :D lol come on it will take me 3 days to get to my place :D

Fact is time is precious ;) but then so is life ;)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 02, 2009
Firstly 30 is by no means 'old'. Secondly erm Toyota Land Cruiser - see many of those driving slowly? Like hell!

No it's good that learner drivers will be restricted to vehicles with a certain engine size and banned from motorways, that way you learn respect for other road users and how to control a vehicle properly.

Any idiot can drive fast in a straight line RB, it's what happens when they're forced to suddenly do something else., that causes the biggest problem. Again like the douche bag who sat 2 feet away from my rear bumper on Emirates Road yesterday! Seriously sh*t for brains!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 02, 2009
He is an emirati, he was quite honest, he said people speed because its a thrill. Some also say 'inshallah' but his view is this is an incorrect teaching. He says when he with people he drives safer but on his own, he still drives fast.

He said he had had a falling and didnt speak to each other for weeks, with a relative because he saw them putting one of his young relatives on lap no seatbelt in car etc. His relative it seemed more attitiude a problem - i.e how dare you tell me what to do in my car.

Landcruisers can go very fast, the problem is they are not designed for highspeed, start weaving and speeding your going to be in trouble.
Roadtester
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 02, 2009
People may love to speed but if laws were strict and enforced equally and strictly on every driver, then you wouldnt see much speeding...
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 02, 2009
Everybody speeds her in Dubai, not just the Emartis, although it is rare to see a young Emarati driving below the speed limit.

The next offenders are the non Emarati Arabs who usually drive BMW’s!!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 02, 2009
It reminds me of when I first moved to Ireland - I was amazed to find that there is a distinct "grey area" where it comes to traffic law. The Garda (Irish police) would turn a blind eye to learner drivers driving on their own having had no formal lessons, or even informal lessons; speed limits are "advisory" and were not properly enforced.
So imagine the problems the Gardai had when they were finally forced into enforcing all these laws! Motorists complained that they were getting fined for speeding, "learner drivers" complained that they had to actually take a test so that they could continue to drive.
I remember one woman calling a radio station and saying

"It's not fair - it's my car, I own it - what gives those people with a license the right to drive??"

Hmm, maybe the test that they passed that gave them the license?!?!?
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 02, 2009
The main issue is enforcement, I doubt an Emirati driver is going to listen to a Yemeni policeman when he gets pulled over for an offence.

The police here rely too much on technology to catch the speedsters who never re-register their vehicles and therefore cannot be fined. Every now and then there is an armistice and all those with huge fines are pardoned, so why bother.

Somebody in the insurance business told me recently that none of the major insurers will insure drivers under 21 years old, no idea how true that is.
Searcaigh
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 02, 2009
Roadtester wrote:He is an emirati, he was quite honest, he said people speed because its a thrill. Some also say 'inshallah' but his view is this is an incorrect teaching. He says when he with people he drives safer but on his own, he still drives fast.

He said he had had a falling and didnt speak to each other for weeks, with a relative because he saw them putting one of his young relatives on lap no seatbelt in car etc. His relative it seemed more attitiude a problem - i.e how dare you tell me what to do in my car.

Landcruisers can go very fast, the problem is they are not designed for highspeed, start weaving and speeding your going to be in trouble.

I doubt that the "Boy" is an Emerati
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat