This Is How It Should Be Done

Topic locked
This is how it should be done Jan 11, 2010
Switzerland, other European nations are slapping rich drivers with massive traffic fines

GENEVA - European countries are increasingly pegging speeding fines to income as a way to punish wealthy scofflaws who would otherwise ignore tickets.

Advocates say a $290,000 (C203,180.83) speeding ticket slapped on a millionaire Ferrari driver in Switzerland was a fair and well-deserved example of the trend.

Germany, France, Austria and the Nordic countries also issue punishments based on a person's wealth. In Germany the maximum fine can be as much as $16 million compared to only $1 million in Switzerland. Only Finland regularly hands out similarly hefty fine to speeding drivers, with the current record believed to be a C170,000 (then about $190,000) ticket in 2004.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/1001 ... ing_fine_1

Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: This is how it should be done Jan 11, 2010
When "connected" people brag about how they average 20000 dhs a year in fines, and how they make it "disappear", no amount of "fines" is going to stop people.
if you have such rules here, rich, unconnected people will have to pay them, while rich & connected people will start bragging about they made 200,000 worth of fines disappear
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

It seems like a fair and more importantly, effective way of punishing road traffic offenses. But as BR rightfully points out, it won't work in the Banana Republic otherwise known as Dubai. Ah the sweet smell of corruption in the morning.
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

BlackburnRovers wrote:When "connected" people brag about how they average 20000 dhs a year in fines, and how they make it "disappear", no amount of "fines" is going to stop people.
if you have such rules here, rich, unconnected people will have to pay them, while rich & connected people will start bragging about they made 200,000 worth of fines disappear

just to update you since you are still living in the 80's , no one can do this since there is a lock on those fines that no one can access but the traffic court beside the fact that those fines are automatically connected to the black point system daaa

however, I think jail time will be effective than paying money but then an expat will face jail time too then get deported then it's all over the UK news LOL
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

uaekid wrote:
BlackburnRovers wrote:When "connected" people brag about how they average 20000 dhs a year in fines, and how they make it "disappear", no amount of "fines" is going to stop people.

just to update you since you are still living in the 80's , no one can do this since there is a lock on those fines that no one can access but the traffic court beside the fact that those fines are automatically connected to the black point system daaa

however, I think jail time will be effective than paying money but then an expat will face jail time too then get deported then it's all over the UK news LOL

UAE kid a colleague of mine kept checking a number plate on the gov webiste of someone who I think had hit them and it seemed to have dissappeared.

The police are scared to pull over people, as if its a connected person they will get told off by superiors, they also wary of pullling over anyone in blacked out windows as if its a woman they will get in serios trouble.
Roadtester
Dubai forums Addict

I've personally seen AD police pull over a limo tinted Range Rover Sport number 99@. Infact they seem to be cracking down on dark tints and its mostly Emaratis in flash cars you see pulled over to the side of the road.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: This is how it should be done Jan 12, 2010
Why should a wealthy speeding car driver pay more for the same offence than someone who isnt as wealthy? They tried this in the UK some years ago and the system didnt work. The underlying principle is that a driving offence attracts a "penalty". It has nothing to do with how much you earn.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

arniegang wrote:Why should a wealthy speeding car driver pay more for the same offence than someone who isnt as wealthy? They tried this in the UK some years ago and the system didnt work. The underlying principle is that a driving offence attracts a "penalty". It has nothing to do with how much you earn.

Because it is supposed to be a deterrent that hits you in the hip pocket.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Well it shouldn't be a one time thing. But repeat offenders need to be made liable. C'mon over-speeding is deadly and many have lost their lives. I'm certain their families would support harsher laws. That holds true for any country anywhere. To loose a life owing to over-speeding is downright unacceptable.

Off course one should always hold the right to defend himself.....Just imagine one huge fine and half the kids on the roads these days will think twice before pressing down the acceleration pedal.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: This is how it should be done Jan 16, 2010
i agree to the part of " connected people "..

a friend of mine very recently got a slap of 2000dhs fine for honking at someone who drives a porchse gt with the # plate 3 on SZR. (you gotta know who it is, if you dont then find it & better not be surprised)

@uaekid .. mate you got it compeltely wrong. waasta fouq al kanoon ya habib... fines connected to black point systems and blah blah are only for expats .. not for the rich or locals.

yes, i have seen numerous exotic cars being stopped by the cops for the tint and/or for rash driving.. but most probably their conversation might just not last more than 5 minutes or until they find out the driver is a rich fellow or is a cop himself.

i agree with MCL but cant concur completely. What the kids lack is proper acknowledgement of traffic law & obedience.
ahamed
Dubai chat master

uaekid wrote:
BlackburnRovers wrote:just to update you since you are still living in the 80's , no one can do this since there is a lock on those fines that no one can access but the traffic court beside the fact that those fines are automatically connected to the black point system daaa

Well that is and preceisely where corruption is.
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

There was an article in the National recently, where it was stated that one reason some people dont obey traffic laws is "not to be mocked by peers for not being above the law".
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Don't look at others, do it right yourself, show a good example to all those around you.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat