Tech Help For A FB Addict!

Topic locked
Jan 06, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Nope, that works fine! It's not FB, because I hopped onto my work mates PC and it works fine!

It's my piece of tasty laptop!

Sounds like you need to clean your lap top

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 06, 2009
Last try:

Run your IE without Add-Ons.

Not sure what you are using but you can navigate help (F1) and search "internet explorer without Add-Ons"

Below if you are using a Vista (To temporarily disable all add-ons):

To temporarily disable all add-ons
Click the Start button , click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

How can I re-enable a browser add-on?
You might want to re-enable a browser add-on if you disabled an add-on but want to go to a site that requires it, or if disabling the add-on caused general display problems with webpages or Internet Explorer.

To re-enable an add-on
Click to open Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, click Manage Add-ons, and then click Enable or Disable Add-ons.

In the Show list, click Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer to display all add-ons.

Click the add-on you want to enable, and then click Enable.

Repeat step 4 for every add-on you want to enable. When you are finished, click OK.
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 06, 2009
Noe, still doesn't work! I give up.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 06, 2009
Okay, now here's the pisser. I'm on my work laptop connected to my wireless at home and guess what? It's working - has to be something on the server then - bloody IT!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 06, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Okay, now here's the pisser. I'm on my work laptop connected to my wireless at home and guess what? It's working - has to be something on the server then - bloody IT!

are they only blocking for ya at your work!!!!!!?

:?
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Jan 06, 2009
It's weird, everyone else seems to be able to use it at work. Humph
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 06, 2009
Weird. It doesn't make sense at all because you are able to access FB at work (therefore your IT did not block your access) & all others could run FB without problems (meaning, FB actually runs properly in your server)

Try again tomorrow in your office connection.

I'm left with very few cases to blame if I'm in your situation because we almost eliminated most of it.
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 06, 2009
isn't AJAX something you clean the bath with??

:lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 06, 2009
arniegang wrote:isn't AJAX something you clean the bath with??

No, that's the football club. They clean your bath.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 06, 2009
arniegang wrote:isn't AJAX something you clean the bath with??

You are absolutely right. Too much of it caused skin irritation as well. So you hit the nail - same concept. :lol:
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 07, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:It's weird, everyone else seems to be able to use it at work. Humph

Looks like they got you behind some kind of firewall, do you have a friend in IT?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 07, 2009
hi choco :) have you tried enabling javascript? hope this helps .. :)
alucard
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 07, 2009
I assume that it already is enabled. But please tell me where to find it so I can check!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 07, 2009
Javascript is definitely working on your end because the page you tried yesterday is using javascript as well.

Anyhow, try CTRL+F5 to refresh the page.

This issue is most probably on the server-side of the site/page you are visiting.

Moreover, try removing the FB apps you might have added since the last time that it was working properly.

This might be the case as well.
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 07, 2009
Thanks guys for all your suggestions! I've fixed it!!!!! I basically went to the security section in Internet Options - custom level and enabled ALL the scripts and prompts - bingo!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 07, 2009
Be careful chocs, this is dangerous.

Your computer will be exposed to a lot of viruses & trojans.

Just a word of advise.

Regards & mabrook.
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 07, 2009
Well okay, it was specifically the activex controls that needed to be on. FB uses these alot.

We'll see what happens when I shut down and reboot tomorrow, if it all gets reset.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 07, 2009
ActiveX controls and web browser add-ons are small programs that are used extensively on the Internet. They can make browsing more enjoyable by providing toolbars, stock tickers, video, animated content, and more. These programs can malfunction, however, or give you content you don't want. In some cases, these programs can be used to collect information from your computer in ways you might not approve of, possibly damage information on your computer, install software on your computer without your consent, or allow someone else to control your computer remotely. Given these risks, you should only install ActiveX controls or add-ons if you completely trust the publisher and the website offering it.
UNQUOTE
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 07, 2009
Its hit and miss though hun really isn't it. Yes it makes it work, but it could screw my laptop. However it's the only thing that is makign it work at this point. The IT guys don't have a clue, they keep telling me the anti-virus is blocking certain scripts, yet this only appears to be happening on my device.

Oh well.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 07, 2009
...yup...not only that, if you are in a network, you might infect all others connected to the same if ever you catch a really strong virus/trojan.
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 07, 2009
If your FB is not working on Firefox as well then its not an ActiveX issue... because Firefox doesn't have ActiveX in the first place!!!

it could be your java library being corrupted!!! try re-installing your java libraries and try again!!!

http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_xpi.jsp
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Jan 07, 2009
Well interesting, but now I have enabled all the script error prompts, FB is throwing up tonnes of them! Loads of syntax errors.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 07, 2009
hehe :)
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 07, 2009
Beginning to think the website is buggered and googling the issue, it seems that many other people are facing the same issues.

Bloody computers and websites - ah where are the days before we had it all!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 08, 2009
glad you solved it..

but if you happen to face it again, or with any site that includes a log on process, set your internet explorer options to accept all coookies..

had the same fckin problem with ednrd & dubaiports website!!

ahhh .. grrrrhh
ahamed
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat