Stupidity Reaches New Heights In Dubai

Topic locked
Stupidity reaches new heights in Dubai Apr 06, 2007
I don't know if stupidity is the right word for how business is done in Dubai

Examples:

(1) I call a guy for a quote for a 2GB stick of RAM. He gives me a price that is over 300% the cost of the same RAM in the US. I'd understand say a 50% hike in price but 300%? He then argues when I get show him a quote I receive from one of his competitors (which showed about a 60% price difference from the price in the US) saying "That RAM is probably not real." RAM not real? I asked him what that meant, he tells me "Its probably missing chips" .. I was speechless from his sheer stupid words..

(2) I went to the Jaguar showroom not too far from the Audi showroom, to trade my car in for an XK. I have an Audi S4. He takes a look at my car and asks, "Is this a US Model? Is S4 even a model that Audi makes?" I asked the guy how long he's worked in the car industry, he said 15 years and he loves cars. Now, to me if he's a car enthus., he would know what the showroom next to him was selling and what models they have or atleast whats out in the GCC market.

(3) Fast food. I order a KFC chicken strips and ask them to give me just the strips, no fries, no bun. Yet everytime, they give me the fries and the bun. Hearing problem?

(4) I joined Fitness First, they said I pay 2 months upfront to cover the first and last month and I was on a month to month plan and can cancel anytime. I go after the first month to cancel and they tell me I have to be a member for atleast 4 months before I can cancel. Its not mentioned in my contract but yet they'd still argue about it. Puppets? Please insert this cassette into your mouth and when someone wants to cancel, you play this cassette and put it on repeat regardless of what the customer is saying. You have no brain, you're just a salaried stupid puppet.

Feel free to add your tales... :)

nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 06, 2007
thats i think dubai speciality...here every sales person regardless of industry is not polite.....you ask 1 to 2 questions and he is pissed off.
aarif
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 06, 2007
You probably have some weird Cockney accent or something :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 06, 2007
sage & onion wrote:You probably have some weird Cockney accent or something :lol:

hahah you wish that were the case you jackass :P
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 06, 2007
What do you expect from asian emplyees???? lol
guest999

Apr 06, 2007
Not_Sure wrote:What do you expect from asian emplyees???? lol

its not just asian employees, the Jaguar car dealership fellow was a whiteboy (UK) :P
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 07, 2007
I remember in 2005 when I visited a lot of car dealerships; Dubai has the worst car salesmen in the world, the most ignorant, stupid car people ever.

They don't know squat about cars, it's very depressing.

The only respectable dealer was Mitsubishi, and that's because the owner-manager had an EVO and he took me for a joy ride:D
Jacques79
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Apr 07, 2007

Dude for your sake I hope that was just a joke... :D
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 07, 2007
What do you expect from asian emplyees?
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 07, 2007
nosoup4u wrote:

its not just asian employees, the Jaguar car dealership fellow was a whiteboy (UK) :P

So what kind of accent do you have soupy?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 07, 2007

hahaha if you go to an Asian restaurant you may get your head stuffed with potatos. It would b very easy for the cook too, it seems to be an empty place so stuffin would be an easy job. And making a Bheja(Brain) fry would be impossible with missing bheja. lol
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 08, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:

And making a Bheja(Brain) fry would be impossible with missing bheja. lol

:lol: :lol:
Maybe a bhoosa(Hay) fry would be better...As I bet there is a lot of that up there.....
:lol:
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 08, 2007
nosoup4u wrote:

hey soupie.. :) wb :D
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 08, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:
nosoup4u wrote:

hey soupie.. :) wb :D

Thanks man :) How ya been?
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Stupidity reaches new heights in Dubai Apr 08, 2007
nosoup4u wrote:I don't know if stupidity is the right word for how business is done in Dubai

Examples:

(1) I call a guy for a quote for a 2GB stick of RAM. He gives me a price that is over 300% the cost of the same RAM in the US. I'd understand say a 50% hike in price but 300%? He then argues when I get show him a quote I receive from one of his competitors (which showed about a 60% price difference from the price in the US) saying "That RAM is probably not real." RAM not real? I asked him what that meant, he tells me "Its probably missing chips" .. I was speechless from his sheer stupid words..

Maybe he was missing some cells from his brain :lol:
kay1730
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Stupidity reaches new heights in Dubai Apr 09, 2007
kay1730 wrote:
nosoup4u wrote:I don't know if stupidity is the right word for how business is done in Dubai

Examples:

Maybe he was missing some cells from his brain :lol:

seems so :P hahah
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 09, 2007
Oh here's a good one. I go into the Etisalat office near Al Marooj to pay my bill, whilst I'm there I think 'hmmmm I'm pretty low on mobile credit, I'll buy a card here.'

Surprise, surprise they don't sell mobile top up cards in the Etisalat pffoce, how dumb can you be.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 09, 2007

i think you had a bad experience with an Asian :P

lolzzzzzzzzzzz
emron
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 09, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Oh here's a good one. I go into the Etisalat office near Al Marooj to pay my bill, whilst I'm there I think 'hmmmm I'm pretty low on mobile credit, I'll buy a card here.'

Surprise, surprise they don't sell mobile top up cards in the Etisalat pffoce, how dumb can you be.

dont they have those machine-thingamajiks through which you càn add credit to your mobile??

Also with an account with First Gulf Bank, you can call toll free to transfer credit to your phone... helps when you're completely out of credit
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 09, 2007
You can also add credit to your phone using this website

http://www.fillfull.com/etisalat/

Just an FYI :)
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 10, 2007
I bought a brand new mobile but it would not charge so I took it back to Axiom. Of course I could not take it to the store I bought it but to the service center on SZR - eventhough I had bought it the day before. I was in no mood to argue and so happens I was going to be near there.

The woman at the counter tells me that I need to leave it as they will replace it with a new one because the "whachamacallit" was bad and then she proceeds to ask me for my mobile number. I tell her that I do not have one as she has the mobile in her hand and it does not work. She persists that I need to give her my mobile number because they'll need to call me when the phone is ready! I tried to explain how ridicolous it is but she would have none of it. I say: let me give you my office number. She says: no because the computer does it automatically! I say: the computer will just dial whatever number you put in whether (050... or 040..). Well she thought I was trying to explain quantum physics to her. At the end I gave her a made up number something like 050-324-1123 so I could leave. I would imagine that the woman had a college degree - well spoken and presentable - but robotic.

oh that's not all. I called after 3 weeks and they said the shipment had not arrived. I thought it was strange so I asked them to check. I also said why not call another store and have then bring the phone to you. The person who checked told me that unfortunately a shipment had arrived for the store but it was for the sales section not the service section. That is, brand new identical phones were delivered to the store but for a different section (the store is no bigger than my living room). I proceeded to ask the person to simply give me one of those phones and when mine arrives service gives it back to sales. Afterall why should I have to wait so long for a phone which they already have. My god, I thought the poor guy's head was going to explode after that concept. Frustrated, I simply hung up the phone and called back a week or 2 later!

The good news is that the phone was only about 150 AED and I have managed not to lose it in 2 months. Well, at least I've owned longer than it was out for service!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 10, 2007
150 only...wow

i didnt know there were mobiles at that price in dubai
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 10, 2007
i was so amazed i had to post twice :oops:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 10, 2007
If the phone was faulty, they should have just replaced it on the spot. It amazes me the hassles you have to go through here to get anything done.

And I usually top my mobile up using the Etisalat website. It just amazed me that in their own stores they don't sell phone cards.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 10, 2007
I have 10 mobile phones.. same modem Nokia 6021. I bought these duringh a deal with warranty

so far two have gone bad (can't hear in one, the other keeps switching on and off)

Its been almost 4 weeks in the service center.. no word back..

Just yesterday #3 went bad, the screen kept flickering, instead of driving and wasting time and effort and gas, I threw it out :P

lucky me, I have 7 more to waste :P
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 10, 2007
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

10 mobile phones.. :shock: :shock:

thats weird :D
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 10, 2007
nosoup4u wrote:I have 10 mobile phones.. same modem Nokia 6021. I bought these duringh a deal with warranty

so far two have gone bad (can't hear in one, the other keeps switching on and off)

Just yesterday #3 went bad, the screen kept flickering, instead of driving and wasting time and effort and gas, I threw it out :P

please send me a phone. i have to go to public phone to call girl and usually there is line. if you send me phone i will call you. make sure phone has credit on it or i won't call you. send me extra battery also. i need camera too. make sure not too bulky shud be slim. I don't like fat girls or fat phones. Public phone fat but have no choice.

thank you.
MAC
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 10, 2007
MAC wrote:
nosoup4u wrote:I have 10 mobile phones.. same modem Nokia 6021. I bought these duringh a deal with warranty

please send me a phone. i have to go to public phone to call girl and usually there is line. if you send me phone i will call you. make sure phone has credit on it or i won't call you. send me extra battery also. i need camera too. make sure not too bulky shud be slim. I don't like fat girls or fat phones. Public phone fat but have no choice.

thank you.

hahah funny MACO! Go buy your own phone buddy boy :P You can buy 10 for like AED 175 each

I ain't a supply counter.. :P
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 10, 2007
nosoup4u wrote:
MAC wrote:

thank you.

hahah funny MACO! Go buy your own phone buddy boy :P You can buy 10 for like AED 175 each

I ain't a supply counter.. :P

ok so nospoup4u or byriani either.
MAC
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 10, 2007
hahah funny MACO! Go buy your own phone buddy boy You can buy 10 for like AED 175 each

I ain't a supply counter..

R u serious?? huh didnt know .. so concord's 150 dirham isnt a typo .. :shock: thats news..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat