Stopover In Dubai

Topic locked
Stopover in Dubai Dec 04, 2011
Hi all,

I'm hoping for some advice please. I'm travelling through Dubai and have a long but convenient stopover as I will arrive at 9am on a Sunday and depart at midnight. Grateful for any suggestions about what I can do with my time. I was going to take the metro downtown and have a look around and do some shopping but would like to see some interesting attractions and sample some local food, just not sure about the best places to go.

Thanks in advance for any tips

Jim

jimmy217
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: Stopover In Dubai Dec 04, 2011
Get a taxi to the Museum and Al Fahidi Fort, take in some history then take a steady stroll through Bastakiya and head for the Old Souk, spend some money, take an Abra across the creek to the Spice Souk Abra Station and head for the Spice Souk, spend some more money, head for the Gold Souk, spend some more money, traditional food? You probably wouldn’t like it so take in refreshments on the hoof.

Or, take a taxi to the Dubai Golf and Yacht Club, pre book a tee here;

http://www.dubaigolf.com/dubai-creek-go ... -club.aspx

:lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Stopover in Dubai Dec 04, 2011
Assume you don't need a visa first jimmy?
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Re: Stopover In Dubai Dec 05, 2011
Providing you are allowed in, I wouldn't bother with the shopping. If you go to one of the Malls you could be anywhere in the world. Next is the same as Next anywhere, except it is more expensive in Dubai. Chanel is the same as Chanel in London and New York, except it is more expensive in Dubai.
If you want knock off goods, head to Karama, where the quality of the handbags is good but don't come at Asda prices as the nice man will lead you to believe. Don't forget they are genuine fakes that you are buying.

You could get a taxi to the Sheraton Dubai Creek and walk back along the Creek and watch the boats being loaded and unloaded. You will be transported back in time by 100 years. You will see drums of oil stacked beside sacks of rice and all being loaded on and off the boats by men in flip flops and not a High Viz jacket in sight. If you are really lucky you will see a little man knocking a curry up in a pan lid on a boat and on the next boat there will be another man with his bare bottom sticking out through a make shift toilet seat getting shot of last nights curry. He may even give you a wave. I got one. :P

Take a ride over the Creek on a dodgy boat, I think it costs aed1 or something like that and head for a riverside cafe. If you are a women you would be hustled out and taken upstairs to sit on plastic chairs with a lovely view over the Creek. The food will be very cheap and very good. Ours was served by a dwarf. I don't know if I should say dwarf, it isn't PC, but that is what he was.

Alternatively you could do a Dubai Big Bus tour. Don't laugh, I'm serious. I haven't done it myself but my dad did. He didn't get off the bus even though you can hop on and off, but please wait till the bus stops first.
If you aren't familiar with Dubai the bus will show you all the sites and give you a guided tour. Mint!

When you get back to the airport head to the Irish Bar which isn't very Irish but sells alcohol and have a couple of drinks while you wait for your next plane.

Enjoy! :D
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dubai Airport Post Office, open 24 hours, you can call them on +971 (0)4 2164994 for their location.
Dillon

Dillon wrote:Dubai Airport Post Office, open 24 hours, you can call them on +971 (0)4 2164994 for their location.

I think you've got the wrong topic Dillon. Unless you class the Post Office as worth a look on Jimmy's stop over.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum, Oops :oops:
Dillon

That @ button gives me my Sunday name :D
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat