Service Charge...

Topic locked
Service charge... Feb 13, 2010
You may have read or hear dabout a new "law" which does not permit restaurants to charge a "service charge".

The logical conclusion would be that prices would be lowered by 10% leaving customers the option of leaving a tip for service of 10% or more (or less).

Guess what? No such thing. Instead, what restaurants and cafes have done - in my experience at 6 places over the weekend - is to whiteout the writing that used to say "prices are inclusive of 10% municapilty charge and 10% Service Charge" yet the price remains the same. What joke.

XPT
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Service charge... Feb 16, 2010
The Government has asked that this practice be reported. Have you done so?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:The Government has asked that this practice be reported. Have you done so?

I think they asked to report where a service charge is added to the bill. What they are doing now is including a service charge but not showing it (by keeping the same old price and not reducing it).

Even if they charge it (hidden) I won't report it. Will just go to another shop.
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

who cares about the service charges?? If it pisses you off so much just stay at home and feed the pigeons on your balcony :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

XPT wrote:
sage & onion wrote:The Government has asked that this practice be reported. Have you done so?

I think they asked to report where a service charge is added to the bill. What they are doing now is including a service charge but not showing it (by keeping the same old price and not reducing it).

Even if they charge it (hidden) I won't report it. Will just go to another shop.

They asked for anything of the sort to be reported. By simply moving to another establishment just allows them to continue, the only way to get a proper handle on it would be to report to the Authorities, wouldn't expect you to understand this though.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Service charge... Feb 17, 2010
I love it. The Dubai Defenders ^^ always complaining about so-called Dubai Bashers thinking nothing about bashing a poster who simply pointed out how a servcie charge is being added eventhough it is not suppossed to :roll:
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

Then report it and stop complaining.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

XPT wrote:I love it. The Dubai Defenders ^^ always complaining about so-called Dubai Bashers thinking nothing about bashing a poster who simply pointed out how a servcie charge is being added eventhough it is not suppossed to :roll:

I am not defending. the fact is either complain, if you cant complain then find another restaurant, if you cant do that then go sit in a maloo cafeterria where a cup of tea is 1 dhs. 8) stop being stingy and get on with it lassy.

No1 will complain because everyone has their pockets full of green cash. Those who dont complain they just go to the cheaper places.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

XTP

Still going on about the percieved attacks of Dubai bashers ehhhhhhhhhhhhh :). You spent long enough going on about the "greedy landlords" and you got your way there as rents are tumbling by the day. Seems there is very little that can be done to please you :lol:

But, why change the habbit of a lifetime ?

Rudeboys last post sums it up very well, in conclusion either report it or eat elsewhere. If you spent as much effort in getting on the phone about it to the relevant authorities as opposed to winging about it on here then you may, just may, have had a result or done something to help protect other diners.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat