Relocating

Topic locked
Relocating Nov 26, 2007
Hi Guys,

Sorry if I am asking questions already answered elsewhere.

We are relocating to Dubai in January and having searched the internet till we are blue in our faces, we are now more than ever very confused.

Question 1:
Does our visas have to be in place before we can get phone line/internet connection?

Question 2:

What is the deal with all the apartments without appliances? Is there a company specializing in helping out getting these things installed prior to moving in?

I thank you for all your help and apologies again if these questions have already been answered.

Allan

AHT
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 26, 2007
1) Not for DU. They only require your tenancy contract, passport and maybe employment letter. Not sure about ETISALAT though. If you live around the Marina area then you are using DU anyway.

2) There are fully furnished apartments. Again what area are you looking at?

Most applications here can make do with your employment letter, just make sure your company states that your visa application is in the process.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Nov 26, 2007
Thanks BabyDoll,

Very helpful.

Looking to rent either on the Palm or Dubai Marina. Unfurnished, as we are bringing our pet(cat) and I don't think that too many landlords will be happy with that.

We are after 2 or 3 bedroom.

Thanks again

Allan
AHT
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 26, 2007
Cat has visa ?
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 26, 2007
hello pal.
hope this helps as we moved 6weeks ago.
pm me if you need more detailed info.
1st...DO NOT rent appartments with APPLIANCES it basicly means a shitty cooker and old fridge for an extra 5000.
do not buy second hand as its normally faulty and new is only a little extra.
buy everything from stores like Ikea/hyperpanda/carefour..because they will deliver,install or assemble for 200dhs extra...but make sure you ask at point of sale and take delivery drivers number so you can chase him up!!!

I live in the marina.....2 bed...155dhs,3 bed...180dhs
avarage price for rental.
appartments sell fast here so dont be disheartened if on gets whipped from under you.

tv ...where do i start...if you want info on it...pm me

If you want a good sales agent.(english) i can help.

let me know.
good luck.gez
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 26, 2007
Dubai marina is a nice area.
You will be using Du and they will accept employment letters. Most employers will know what to do if you just ask them.

But if you have your visa ready and in your hand prior to arrival, it will make your life infinitely easier as most things you do will require a copy of your passport and a copy of your visa.
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 26, 2007
HP wrote:Cat has visa ?

you can spot the smart arse miles off!
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 26, 2007
Carrefour charges for delivery and assemble? :?

Sorry mate, but you got ripped off if they charge you for delivery. We moved about 3 months ago and had everything delivered free of charge. Only had one delivery guy who tried to rip us off when he delivered our TV and asked for a "tip" because he had to make the trip from Sharjah and it was too far for him...

As far as I know, only Ikea charges for delivery and assembly.
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 26, 2007
abarawakijess wrote:Carrefour charges for delivery and assemble? :?

Sorry mate, but you got ripped off if they charge you for delivery. We moved about 3 months ago and had everything delivered free of charge. Only had one delivery guy who tried to rip us off when he delivered our TV and asked for a "tip" because he had to make the trip from Sharjah and it was too far for him...

As far as I know, only Ikea charges for delivery and assembly.

The driver told me the pipes needed cutting to fit the washing machine and dishwasher.
Robbing Fecker....Im gonna slap that tash of his boat race next time.

charged me 50 dhs :twisted:
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 26, 2007
gezza wrote:hello pal.
1st...DO NOT rent appartments with APPLIANCES it basicly means a shitty cooker and old fridge for an extra 5000.
buy everything from stores like Ikea/hyperpanda/carefour..because they will deliver,install or assemble for 200dhs extra...but make sure you ask at point of sale and take delivery drivers number so you can chase him up!!!

appartments sell fast here so dont be disheartened if on gets whipped from under you.

let me know.
good luck.gez

Umm...disagree with you here about the appliances...I moved into a Marina apartment with appliances included, they are perfectly fine. All depends on the building/developer. I thought most of apartments in the Marina already have appliances built in? Also you can get a 2br for less than 155k (JBR).
DeeDee
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 26, 2007
DeeDee wrote:
gezza wrote:hello pal.

let me know.
good luck.gez

Umm...disagree with you here about the appliances...I moved into a Marina apartment with appliances included, they are perfectly fine. All depends on the building/developer. I thought most of apartments in the Marina already have appliances built in? Also you can get a 2br for less than 155k (JBR).

Fair play if you can get appliances fitted for a good price...I wish someone told me before hand.
Im in Jbr and got 3 beds plus maids with marina view for 155..(bit of a touch there)
I think its all about bartering over here.
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 26, 2007
Thanks Guys,

All very helpful, stress levels dramatically decreased.

Wouldn't mind buying you a beer once we are in place
:D

Allan
AHT
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat