Relation Between Plate Numbers And Speed!

Topic locked
Relation between plate numbers and speed! Jul 22, 2009
Why drivers who drive cars with 3 and 4 digit plate numbers, drive faster?!

mahmoodb
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 22, 2009
i dont really think plate numbers and the speed at which someone drives makes a difference...

people who drive fast do so for various reasons - not because they have a 3 digit license plate
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 22, 2009
bushra21 wrote:i dont really think plate numbers and the speed at which someone drives makes a difference...

people who drive fast do so for various reasons - not because they have a 3 digit license plate

True
wishmaster
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Relation between plate numbers and speed! Jul 22, 2009
mahmoodb wrote:Why drivers who drive cars with 3 and 4 digit plate numbers, drive faster?!

Not being a local, my best hunch would be that those owners have special plates. The HNW individuals perhaps?
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

RobbyG wrote:
mahmoodb wrote:Why drivers who drive cars with 3 and 4 digit plate numbers, drive faster?!

Not being a local, my best hunch would be that those owners have special plates. The HNW individuals perhaps?

They aren't special plates, just normal...depending on who you know, how long you have been here and/or how much you are willing to spend you can get a plate between 1-6 number

The 'special' plates are the ones used by the sheikhs, ambassadors and certain ministry officials
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

bushra21 wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

They aren't special plates, just normal...depending on who you know, how long you have been here and/or how much you are willing to spend you can get a plate between 1-6 number

The 'special' plates are the ones used by the sheikhs, ambassadors and certain ministry officials

Yeah thats exactly what I mean. I consider an expensive plate to be 'quite special' although its not necessarily a diplomatic set of plates.

Just a more costly plate than normal with custom letters/numbers depending on the country. Special enough ;)
RobbyG

Jul 22, 2009
I regularly drive from Dubai to Abu Dhabi to meet my clients.

While the maximum speed limit is 120, but I see cars driving at the speed of 150 to 160!

Are the cameras catching these drivers and how they afford to pay high amount of fines?

If they can pay the fines and they don't care on breaking the laws, so, they should be special people with special plate numbers!

But my main concern is that, even a special person with special car and special plate number, should respect law and should respect people's safety.
mahmoodb
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 22, 2009
mahmoodb wrote:I regularly drive from Dubai to Abu Dhabi to meet my clients.

While the maximum speed limit is 120, but I see cars driving at the speed of 150 to 160!

Are the cameras catching these drivers and how they afford to pay high amount of fines?

If they can pay the fines and they don't care on breaking the laws, so, they should be special people with special plate numbers!

But my main concern is that, even a special person with special car and special plate number, should respect law and should respect people's safety.

The radars on the way to AD wont flash you unless you go over 160
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 22, 2009

The cameras catch only at 120 kph.

And your last line is where many people disagree. In some cultures, its granted that someone special will break laws.
In extreme cases (parts of Africa, Pakistan), the big shot can get away with even murders or rape just because he thinks he is 'special".

Here, some people get away with reckless driving, and thats about it
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 22, 2009
bushra21 wrote:

Are you sure about it?
mahmoodb
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 22, 2009
I am sure, limits on AUH- AlAin and AUH - dxb are 160, i.e. only radars within AUH borders,.

However as you get close to AUH, particularly after the airport area, the radars flash at 120+
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 22, 2009
Mahmood,

Yup, I'm sure - I go 140 max when I'm driving but my bro goes 160 since its ok for him and not for me :x

blackburn....whats auh?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 22, 2009
^Abu Dhabi airport code

Radars from Abu Dhabi to Shahama flash at 120+

From Shahama to Dubai at 140+

Abu Dhabi to Al Ain has just been changed to max 100, flash at 120+ because of construction.
Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

Jul 22, 2009
bushra21 wrote:

That is providing you are on the Abu Dhabi side of the border.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 22, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
That is providing you are on the Abu Dhabi side of the border.

we always go from emirates road so its 140 or 160 all the way :D
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Try commuting to AUH via dubai-auh highway everyday. Its usually the dinky yaris and tiida's with the crapiest number plates zipping and zig zagging along the 4 lane higway at or over 160.

Only once in a while you'll see a Lux SUV or sports coupe with a flashy plate zooming by. Even then going straight in the fast lane and not doing some weird over and under taking actions !
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:

Try commuting to AUH via dubai-auh highway everyday. Its usually the dinky yaris and tiida's with the crapiest number plates zipping and zig zagging along the 4 lane higway at or over 160.

Only once in a while you'll see a Lux SUV or sports coupe with a flashy plate zooming by. Even then going straight in the fast lane and not doing some weird over and under taking actions !

True. I used to travel to college everyday from AUH, and it's often the mid- segment cars that are really speeding. Most often they are drivers with company cars.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 22, 2009
True, many being rentals and company cars. Probally have the drive it like you stole it mentality
desertdudeshj

Jul 23, 2009
you can own your own number plate, provided you are loaded and got some cash lying around.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat