Question On Singles Eviction

Topic locked
question on singles eviction May 18, 2007
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArti ... heuae&col=

so single men & women asked to moved out of accomodations

luckily i don't have this problem-- my question out of curiousity-- what if the individual in question is married but spouse lives overseas?

is "single" a legal definition or a de facto residential definition?

any opinions?

Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2007
Married without family also means single around here.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 18, 2007
gtmash wrote:Married without family also means single around here.

Interesting.

Can we read this as... please move to Marina / International City etc. as there's heaps of vacancies there!

Of course... the rent is ludicrous for one person.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 18, 2007
Well I'm not surprised you both are the only ones who always has an empty replies to a person question !!
It is an open discussion and the guy asked a question, so before your come up with an
Empty replies like your brains are and always being sarcasm, try to find out why is such a law came up all of a sudden and find an alternative to it or an answer …daaa
Anyway if you ask me it is a stupid thing to do , they have to conceder where a person lives and work before the ask him to move over there, these analyses may help reduce the traffic in some major roads in Dubai and will also help with the everyone gas conception and pollution in the are.
But I think they passed such a law for security issues and families convenient !!! but again we all know there isn't enough accommodations that would fit some budgets and there isn't enough unites to fit the massive numbers of singles in Dubai.
But hey look in the other hand , singles may party all night long without waking up an old lady next door LOOOOOL
firefingers

Re: question on singles eviction May 18, 2007
Sydneysider wrote:http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=data/theuae/2007/May/theuae_May464.xml&section=theuae&col=
- snip ---
any opinions?

This is sad.
Dubai is trying to be first in everything, including this.
I have never seen this in Malaysia or even Indonesia.

While I can understand the overall problem, the solutions to this social problem look short-term and not well thought out. This is like discrimination.

Well .. I guess I understand Dubai a little better now.
dubaiforumuser
Dubai Forums Member

May 18, 2007
firefingers wrote:Well I'm not surprised you both are the only ones who always has an empty replies to a person question !!
It is an open discussion and the guy asked a question, so before your come up with an
Empty replies like your brains are and always being sarcasm, try to find out why is such a law came up all of a sudden and find an alternative to it or an answer …daaa
Anyway if you ask me it is a stupid thing to do , they have to conceder where a person lives and work before the ask him to move over there, these analyses may help reduce the traffic in some major roads in Dubai and will also help with the everyone gas conception and pollution in the are.
But I think they passed such a law for security issues and families convenient !!! but again we all know there isn't enough accommodations that would fit some budgets and there isn't enough unites to fit the massive numbers of singles in Dubai.
But hey look in the other hand , singles may party all night long without waking up an old lady next door LOOOOOL

Yes, all those "bachelors" making 1500 a month party all night at expensive nightclubs. Both of the above replies were accurate.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 18, 2007
firefingers wrote:Well I'm not surprised you both are the only ones who always has an empty replies to a person question !!

It's only empty if you choose to take nothing from it. I have actually said quite a lot, but you know, I'm somewhat economic in the way I say things.

It is an open discussion

Is it? Good... then STFU!

and the guy asked a question, so before your come up with an

The person I believe was also searching for a reason as to why the laws exist. I was pointing out that there's an agenda behind an agenda.

Really, for someone who gets paid what you claim to get paid... it would help you and your employer if you could be a bit sharper.

Cheaper rents would also reduce congestion and tackle this problem in the same move. Rents do not have to be as expensive as they are.

Not enough units? Are you sure?

You do realise that the Marina is still very empty. Meanwhile, the asking rate for a 1 bedroom apartment is 95,000 and rising.

Single expats don't always have the money or the time to party.
^ian^

May 18, 2007
Calm down boys.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 18, 2007
bla bla bla
firefingers

Re: question on singles eviction May 19, 2007
dubaiforumuser wrote:
Sydneysider wrote:http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=data/theuae/2007/May/theuae_May464.xml&section=theuae&col=
- snip ---
any opinions?

This is sad.

While I can understand the overall problem, the solutions to this social problem look short-term and not well thought out. This is like discrimination.

how is that a discrimination ? enlighten us dubaiforumuse.
firefingers

firefingers wrote:
dubaiforumuser wrote:
- snip ---
any opinions?

This is sad.

It is discriminatory to prejudice someone over their martial status... at least it is in the morern world.
^ian^

May 19, 2007
firefingers wrote:bla bla bla

Smartest thing you've said.

I mean... it's ok for you to criticise others... but not have them criticise you right?
^ian^

firefingers wrote:--- snip ---

Hi,
From webster online dictionary:
dis·crim·i·na·tion : prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment.

The keyword is "prejudiced".

In this case, the policy maker (note that I am not refering to Dubai government as a whole; I refer only to that particular group) is biased or prejudiced against bachelors. They classified all bachelors as potential trouble-makers in residential areas.

Instead of looking at the problem as a whole or working hand in hand with other governing bodies (eg police), they choose the easy way of moving all bachelors out of residential areas.

The fault lies in some bachelors, not all bachelors. And it is the governing body's responsibilities to go and extract those bachelors that are causing the troubles.

By moving bachelors from Point-A to Point-B, they are just moving the problem from Point-A to Point-B.

By living in Dubai, I like the place to have no problem in either Point-A or Point-B.

I hope to have explained clear enough.
I have no further comments ...

Rgds.
dubaiforumuser
Dubai Forums Member

May 20, 2007
In Dubai I think that is the 'best' solution they can think of. Do not expect more from a place where, among many other things, officials declare that ''unusual'' fires (that usually happen during summer- I wonder why.... :roll: ) are caused by djinns.
Just hope that they'll construct a ''Bachelor City'' on time before they evict you.
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

May 20, 2007
yujinn wrote:Just hope that they'll construct a ''Bachelor City'' on time before they evict you.

"Bachelor City" would not be for rich people. Therefore, it will not be built.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 20, 2007
gtmash wrote:
yujinn wrote:Just hope that they'll construct a ''Bachelor City'' on time before they evict you.

"Bachelor City" would not be for rich people. Therefore, it will not be built.

SOOO true ... dubai has been overly marketed as a destination for the rich .... you see all these developers ... nakheel, tameer, etc. etc. etc. deveolps cities build for people who can ditch min 3-4 million dirhams just to own it ....... thye say they " re-define Lifestyle " they say " having a High Way of living is the only way to go !!! "

but m to ask you ... does the these developers and gov. officials who lives in their lush 2 hectare houses driving porsches .. know how far can an average mid. class executive's salary (3,000 DH) go ? or how about the those who make do with 1,500 DH or less ??????

what they are doing now is that they make it more and more imposible for those people who fall below 5,000 DH to live an acceptable living ... and they are pushing these people out ... or maybe thats their plan .... but if these people leave dubai .... then who will do the laundry in laundry shops ...... who will serve your food in the restaurant ?.. who will make your bread in the morning ... or who will deliver your paper in the morning ....

no matter how hard to swallow the pill ... these officials in the gov. and high ranking executives in land developing corporates .... has to face facts that they should make a city or community for people who fall in the below 5,000 DH bracket ... they should create as what one of the forumers said "Bachelor City " or a Low income CITY ... that provides proper accomodation and livable amenities not flashy ... not extravagant ... just enough and right to live descent... they have to start thing of these people taht falls on this bracket ... cause we are all here to CO - Excist ... they cannot run a country without workers .... and these workers are currently being neglected in this country !!!!

what you guys think ?
majorpain2007
Dubai Forums Member

May 20, 2007
sorry i clicked again hehehe
majorpain2007
Dubai Forums Member

May 20, 2007
simple economics >> no demand, less price
panaghoy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 20, 2007
yes we know that ...

but my point is .... why cant the gov. / developers build or develop lands for (non emerati) people with less income, where they will make the design simple, and use the space to accomodate more flats than gardens ... make it low cost buildings ... and offer it on low rent with a income screening scheme so that only people of certain salary bracket can avail those flats .... or why cant they make a sharing flat system but government manage so that the governent can insure that the space rent wouldnt be more than what its supposed to be .... i mean it is also good for the governemnt cause its still income ... and at the end of the day they can still make their low income people happy ....

Its all about balance .... looking at each walk of life properly and equally

i dont know what do you think of this idea ?

like what other countries are doing
majorpain2007
Dubai Forums Member

May 20, 2007
what about International city...
V-Man
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 20, 2007
majorpain2007 wrote:but my point is .... why cant the gov. / developers build or develop lands for (non emerati) people with less income, where they will make the design simple, and use the space to accomodate more flats than gardens ... make it low cost buildings ... and offer it on low rent with a income screening scheme so that only people of certain salary bracket can avail those flats .... or why cant they make a sharing flat system but government manage so that the governent can insure that the space rent wouldnt be more than what its supposed to be .... i mean it is also good for the governemnt cause its still income ... and at the end of the day they can still make their low income people happy ....

Well, government intervention within a free market is never usually welcome by investors.

The high rents are attracting the investors, at the moment, which is leading to the sustainment of the growth in the economy.

When the demand curve shifts (and believe me, it is shifting) we will see rents come down to more reasonable prices.

There is a glut of luxury developments in Dubai and it's increasing. What this will mean in the long term is that many of these developments will either have to be let out cheaply or sit empty. Not what investors want so they will hang out until forced to, but it will come.

Added to that, the mass freehold and overseas investor property is only coming online now. Until this point 90% of the freehold property available for rent is owned by locals. This is no judgement on locals, but they have the time, wealth and luxury to let these things sit empty until they get the right rent. The expat and overseas investor has a mortgage to pay in most cases and would rather rent an apartment out for lower return than have it sit empty waiting for the 'right' renter to come along.

Government intervention won't help in either scenario. Pushing people out of shared accommodation and giving them no option also won't help.
^ian^

May 20, 2007
majorpain2007 wrote:yes we know that ...

but my point is .... why cant the gov. / developers build or develop lands for (non emerati) people with less income, where they will make the design simple, and use the space to accomodate more flats than gardens ... make it low cost buildings ... and offer it on low rent with a income screening scheme so that only people of certain salary bracket can avail those flats .... or why cant they make a sharing flat system but government manage so that the governent can insure that the space rent wouldnt be more than what its supposed to be .... i mean it is also good for the governemnt cause its still income ... and at the end of the day they can still make their low income people happy ....

In Dubai, there's no project to cater the mid-income market. Check Ajman, there are lots of ongoing residential projects there. Umm Al Qwain and roads going to RAK, i can see lots of soon to be developed residential projects, which the mid-income bracket can afford, it's still pre-selling though. However, it would be a good investment. Risky: if developers will not finish the project.

For mid-income market, tighten your belt for a year or 3 while paying the installment of freehold properties than renting a place forever.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

May 20, 2007
Personally I blame all the evil property marketers.

In fact... anyone with anything to do with the market.
^ian^

May 20, 2007
^ian^ wrote:Personally I blame all the evil property marketers.

In fact... anyone with anything to do with the market.

Would this mean you're included. :D
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

May 20, 2007
I'd like to take it like this. Govt is not all that worried abt whats happening to the lower income people.. Do they miss the big picture of what they contribute in their small ways in big numbers even to the economy.. Nope coz they are sure that they would find replacement labour so that the numbers always remain sufficient.

I beg to differ from Ian's point of view that it would affect free market (which is the image they try to project) because most of the buildings or the major investments are not aimed at the lower income strata. So making quota n reservations for lower income groups wouldnt be harmful to the over all economy. Rather they would have more spending power. Well thats my view.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

May 20, 2007
V-Man wrote:what about International city...

I bought a place there. It's the only development for middle-class folks.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 20, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:I beg to differ from Ian's point of view that it would affect free market (which is the image they try to project) because most of the buildings or the major investments are not aimed at the lower income strata.

Not aimed, but often arrows miss their targets, especially poorly aimed ones.
^ian^

May 20, 2007
gtmash wrote:

I wouldn't call international city middle class. It might be priced current at middle class affordable, but in other peoples terms it's a slum waiting to happen.

Think about it in this fashion.

Let's say for numeracy sake there's 100,000 renters in Dubai.
According to normal distribution they are:

20% low
60% middle
20% high

now looking at the developments we say:

10% low
30% middle
60% high

The 60% high pool cannot be serviced by the 20% available, they will need to draw from the 60% middle. Out of this 60% middle, roughly half will not be in a position to afford the high rents being demanded.

Something's gotta give, and the it's moving towards an oversupply situation.
^ian^

May 20, 2007
^^^ U are a visionary.. :D If thats bound to happen.. its gonna be good for lower income ppl..and really bad for middle class.who've already invested in properties.. would burn so many..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

May 20, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
gtmash wrote:

I wouldn't call international city middle class. It might be priced current at middle class affordable, but in other peoples terms it's a slum waiting to happen.

Can't really call it a slum, no matter how it turns out. Where I currently live and grew up at, many of you guys would call that a slum too. But we folks figure out a way to be happy with less.

Either way, I paid cash for it so I don't have any mortgages to worry about, and gave it for rent at slightly less than what the real estate agents are asking for those apartments (most of which sit empty as of now). Since I bought it off-plan, I doubt I'll ever lose any money on it if I sell it later (and I can wait for a long time), crash or not. In the mean time, I make money off the rent.

It is true that if the Marina apartment owners become desperate later, they'll bring their rates down to what the middle-class can afford. Those pointlessly expensive apartments will the ones most burnt in a crash.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat