Persian Gulf And Arabian Gulf

Topic locked
Persian Gulf and Arabian Gulf Sep 29, 2009
I notice that the National Geographic atlas calls the Gulf.......Persian Gulf , unlike the Arab countries themselves , which call it the Arabian Gulf.

Clearly, BOTH names are used globally for this important body of water , so I have long purchased both domain names in hyphenated form. BOTH names are important , because they both identify this globally important body of water.

The domains are ideal for a geographic /business web-site of the area , surrounded by so many oil and gas rich nations.
See www.persian-gulf.co.uk for example.

RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 29, 2009
I think the more popular and well know name is the persian gulf. Until a few ago I never even heard the name arabian gulf.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 02, 2009
Dude

What nationality are you? Try telling the Arab people that the Gulf is not called The Arabian Gulf!!

When I was a kid, it was ALWAYS The Persian Gulf , and Iranians still insist on that. It is Persian Gulf in the National Geographic atlas.

However, there are far more Arab nations on the south shores of that gulf, and the waters surround their coasts ....even an island in the case of Bahrain!!

So I can understand them calling it The Arabian Gulf !
Let's face it........the Brits called it The Persian Gulf in the past, but who asked the Arabs of Oman, Saudi, Qatar and UAE what THEY called it centuries ago ?

Their name......translated.....might be totally different, because they would see the world from THEIR perspective.....not ours!!

Look at English Channel !! On the French side it is La Manche or THE SLEEVE in English.....EXCELLENT description.....it is shaped like a sleeve.

To return the the Gulf, I think web-site designers should own BOTH names , to satisfy all !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 02, 2009
The Arabs just called it khaleej = gulf. Anyone body or anything from the countries Khaleeji.

Anyways persia is also no longer there. Its called Iran. So unless its called the Iranian gulf............
desertdudeshj

Oct 08, 2009
I heard it is persian gulf.
as you know so many years ago all Iraq, turkey,armenia, turkemenstan, all was for IRAN.
arianassetmgmt
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 09, 2009
Desert dude,

You're missing the point here. I am talking about MARKETING the area, so the names that MOST OF THE WORLD put on this body of water are very important.

When it comes to GLOBAL marketing, the National Geographic atlas has to be important , as well as the Times Atlas in the UK.
Both of these refer to PERSIAN GULF , which most in the UK have always used.
However, if Arab countries want to call the waters around their shores ARABIAN GULF, I can accept that too.

So WEB-SITES CONTAINING THESE 2 NAMES SHOULD SURELY BE OWNED BY THESE ARAB GOVERNMENTS or TOP COMPANIES IN THE GULF REGION !!

Even commercial companies or entrepreneurs living in ANY GULF COUNTRY , are bound to benefit from domains containing these names.
I don't understand why they are not snapped up. How many outside the Arab countries know the Arabic name you have just given?
How could that name be used for INTERNATIONAL MARKETING when people don't know it??

Do COCA COLA and GUINNESS change their brand names in different countries? Of course not!!

So it does not matter what Arabs call the gulf in their OWN language, if they want to profit from international TRADE then an internationally known name is essential.
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 09, 2009
Desert Dude,
You have also contradicted yourself. You first said it was called PERSIAN GULF and you had never heard ARABIAN GULF[ look at English books about UAE, Bahrain etc for that ], but then you say that Persia is no longer used [true] , so you rubbish Persian Gulf !!

Persia may not be used.......BUT IF PERSIAN GULF IS USED GENERALLY...........then it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT as an international marketing term.
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 09, 2009
Dude, give it a rest. NO ONE CARES ! No one is going the market the peesian/arabian gulf ? Your trying to make a mountain out of mole hill. Lame marketing banter from your side.

AND NO ONE IS GOING TO BENIFIT FROM THESE DOMAIN NAMES.

www.dubai-arabiangulf.com ??....Oh Puleez. Dude wonder why spammers like you are not banned or at the very least warned rather than proper contributors ?
desertdudeshj

Oct 09, 2009
RedKite wrote:Desert Dude,
You have also contradicted yourself. You first said it was called PERSIAN GULF and you had never heard ARABIAN GULF[ look at English books about UAE, Bahrain etc for that ], but then you say that Persia is no longer used [true] , so you rubbish Persian Gulf !!

Persia may not be used.......BUT IF PERSIAN GULF IS USED GENERALLY...........then it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT as an international marketing term.

WTF does this even mean ? "EXTREMELY IMPORTANT" Persian gulf of arabian gulf. WHY and how ? Would Kuwait want domain names which refers to the body of water rahter the country itself.

Your logic is flawed and your spam is even lamer
desertdudeshj

Oct 09, 2009
Desert Dude,

Your lack of vision and foresight is almost frightening. The Persian Gulf /Arabian Gulf is one of the MOST IMPORTANT bodies of water on Earth.....especially for its size !! This body of water.......and the LANDS THAT SURROUND IT .... hold a DISPROPORTIONATE SHARE of the world's hydrocarbons , in the form of oil and natural gas.

That alone makes it extremely important, and was the reason the Yanks had to stop Saddam Hussein. He took Kuwait, a key country on the "Persian Gulf ", as most of the west still calls it.
But what they were really afraid of was that if Saddam got too strong , he could have walked into the KEY OIL producer, Saudi Arabia . Who would have stopped him??

Of course, a stronger Saddam could have walked into Qatar, Bahrain and UAE in a couple of days.

If he had taken control of the Persian Gulf , he would have controlled much of the world economy in 20 years. Especially the bulk of the oil and gas outside Russia and the Gulf of Mexico.

How can anyone say that a KEY NAME like "Persian Gulf " is not important as a domain???
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 10, 2009
* Yawn !..yeah whateva...and please save us the pain by posting your next post of how dubai is in deep recession becuase no one wants to buy your Imatosser.co.ck domain name.
desertdudeshj

Oct 12, 2009
Dude,
No wonder people are out of work in Dubai if there are many with your attitude!!

You must be a bit gormless to think that such important domains will not sell things. The Persian/arabian gulf is surrounded by WEALTH !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 12, 2009
BUhahahahah......OMG you just don't give up. Atleast come up better comeback. This is the millionth time you must have repeated this same shyte.

Bahhh !....your useless.
desertdudeshj

Oct 12, 2009
Dude,

I find this incredible . You call this thread "shyte" .

Yet the words PERSIAN GULF were ,,,,for decades ......even centuries ....WELL KNOWN even before some of the CURRENT lands on its shores were EVEN FORMED AND /OR CREATED!!

It was "Persian Gulf" when Dubai was part of the Trucial States and Trucial Coast .

For goodness sake........if the PERSIAN GULF ...or ARABIAN GULF [if they choose ] is NOT IMPORTANT TO..........Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Iran , UAE, Bahrain, Oman and Qatar .........THEN WHAT THE EFFING HELL IS???

It is their LIFEBLOOD !! It is their UMBILICAL CORD !! It contains THEIR OIL AND GAS !!! IT IS THEIR MOTORWAY TO THE WORLD !!

WITHOUT IT THE BEST PART OF SEVEN MIDDLE EAST COUNTRIES WOULD HAVE NO ACCESS TO THE INDIAN OCEAN..........AND THE WORLD..........FOR ANY PRODUCT.......IMPORT AND EXPORT....LET ALONE THEIR OIL AND GAS !!!

One could argue that PERSIAN GULF OR ARABIAN GULF ....is FAR MORE important than any one country's name even.........BECAUSE IT SERVES SEVEN COUNTRIES !!!! MOST OF THEIR CAPITAL CITIES ARE ON IT AND DEPEND ON IT ...........THEIR PORTS ARE CERTAINLY ON IT!!

TAKE THE PERSIAN GULF AWAY.........AWAY.......AND MOST OF THOSE COUNTRIES AND CITIES ARE FINISHED !!!! WORTHLESS !!

THE PERSIAN GULF IS THEIR GREATEST ASSET..........AND YOU THINK IT IS "SHYTE"!!

IT IS ONE OF THE BEST KNOWN NAMES ON THE PLANET AND STRATEGICALLY VITAL TO THE WEST ........BUT YOU CANNOT EVEN SEE IT !!! AMAZING !!

You have NO VISION !! No sense of what should have PRIORITY !!

THE WORLD TRADES WITH THESE COUNTRIES ..........THROUGH THE PERSIAN GULF or ARABIAN GULF!! The former PRICELESS HISTORICAL NAME.......is even more important MARKETING-WISE than Arabian Gulf , because the TERM is more well known.

WHAT A NAME FOR A MIDDLE EAST WEB-SITE ENCOMPASSING ALL THE GULF COUNTRIES !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat