Natural Gas Pricing Vs Electric..

Topic locked
Natural Gas pricing vs electric.. Aug 28, 2011
I'm looking at some new flats to rent.. One which I am eyeing has natural gas hookup for the stove/cooktop. I don't want to debate the benefits of each. Everyone has all sorts of opinions about this.

The question is savings. Is cooking with natural gas much cheaper in Dubai then electric? I like to cook and bake a lot. So this might mean more for me then someone else who cooks less. Does anyone know what the price of natural gas is here? Then I can compare to what they were in Canada and get a better idea.

Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Natural Gas Pricing Vs Electric.. Aug 28, 2011
I hate electric. Always had gas. When I had gas a container would last 3-4 months and cost, I believe, around AED55 per container (used to be much cheaper). There is no way to compare the cost of gas to the cost of electric as the usage for your stove is included in your bill that covers all things electrical.

I would tend to think that gas is cheaper.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Natural Gas Pricing Vs Electric.. Aug 28, 2011
When you say Natural Gas, presumably you mean LPG (ie comes in cylinders) as very few places have natural gas connected in this country. I think you will find that LPG and electricity are both cheaper in Dubai than in most places.

I think it costs about 80AED to get a cylinder delivered to my home. I don't think the cost will work out much different to electric here.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Natural Gas pricing vs electric.. Aug 28, 2011
Actually this building has built in gas connection with meter. So I think it might be natural gas? Maybe LPG from a central large tank?

Anyway.. Since i'm a newb. Maybe you could answer this then. Is DEWA calculated from your actual usage or based on sq footage of appartment?
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Natural Gas pricing vs electric.. Aug 28, 2011
Yes it's probably a central tank.

DEWA meter your electricity and water and charge for consumption - so you will save a little money if you turn off stuff when you're not using it.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Natural Gas pricing vs electric.. Aug 29, 2011
Telegix wrote:Actually this building has built in gas connection with meter. So I think it might be natural gas? Maybe LPG from a central large tank?

Anyway.. Since i'm a newb. Maybe you could answer this then. Is DEWA calculated from your actual usage or based on sq footage of appartment?

I lived in a building where the cylinders were not in the apartment, but had to be replaced by the tenant when it ran out of gas.

Every apartment/villa has a meter. You will be charged for usage.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Natural Gas pricing vs electric.. Sep 03, 2011
Thanks for feedback on this topic..

However it still doesn't answer my question.. If I were to choose a gas stove/oven instead of electric, would this mean a considerably savings in energy use? Any idea on the gas charges on the palm? I don't see gas mentioned anywhere on dewa.. They show only electrical and water.. So I assume someone else on The Palm is charging for gas..?
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Natural Gas Pricing Vs Electric.. Sep 03, 2011
If it's gas, you will need a cylinder. Highly unlikely anyone can break it down for you. Everyone's consumption of gas/electricity is different.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

There is gas in the flat. There is a meter and you can connect your stove directly. So someone is charging by cubic meter probably..
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

FFS, is it something that is going to break the bank? You aren't talking about HUGE charges. I understand you are on a budget, but come on, looking to save fils is a bit much.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

When I factor in the 1000aed deposit (refundable when i leave) I need to put down.. The savings are gone.. :)
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Get a LPG bottle, thats what I did. The bottle cost me 200 bucks and a refill is only 20 bucks. I said screw you to the gas connection when I heard about the deposit aswell.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Thats a brilliant idea.. If they subtracted from the 1000aed over time, then I would say ok.. But this isn't the case..
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Natural Gas pricing vs electric.. Sep 04, 2011
Telegix wrote:When I factor in the 1000aed deposit (refundable when i leave) I need to put down.. The savings are gone.. :)

If they refund your deposit, how are you out of pocket? How much are you talking about "saving"? Hundreds??? thousands???
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Well, it doesn't make sense to invest 1000aed if it isn't going to earn any interest and just sit there.. If they saw your paying your bill after 6 months or something and said, ok, we will give it back this would make more sense..

I'll go electric then since its easier to clean the surface anyway..
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Natural Gas Pricing Vs Electric.. Sep 04, 2011
I myself don't like putting down any money as deposits and all, specially here when at the end of they day they can simply make any excuse not to give it back and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it ?

Just the way this place works
desertdudeshj

Yes i've heard that story before also.. Oh, sorry.. We can't give it back..

So I agree, give the least amount of deposit as possible.. I need to deposit for dewa and a/c.. No choice there.. :(
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Natural Gas Pricing Vs Electric.. Sep 04, 2011
And at the end of the day my bottled LPG solution works the best. My 20 buck refill lasts me approximately 6 months so 40 bucks a year really aint a bad deal.

I tired to go elelctric but all I could find were wimpy hot plate that would barely warm water. A good one costs more than I would want to pay plus not to mention the electricity usage.

Although I am intrested in those new convection hot plates, which just cook the food in the pan and dont heat up the pan at all. Looks like magic :)
desertdudeshj

My parents have a full induction cooktop in Canada, working on it is just amazing.. The instant feel of gas with over 90% or more of the heat/energy going into the pot.. The surface remains cold actuly and only after the pot heats up does it warm up the surface.. Basically it heats the iron molecules in the pot which means almost no waste..
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Telegix wrote:Well, it doesn't make sense to invest 1000aed if it isn't going to earn any interest and just sit there.. If they saw your paying your bill after 6 months or something and said, ok, we will give it back this would make more sense..

I'll go electric then since its easier to clean the surface anyway..

I see your point. God only knows what you could buy with that 50 fils you earned on interest over what a two year period??
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

If I was in Canada and needed gas for heating, I would say ok.. But to spend 1000aed then use very little for cooking per month doesn't make too much sense...

You could go a step further and use gas for refrigeration and gas water heater.. Then your consumption would go up and perhaps make more sense.. So I find the deposit doesn't make much sense.. Make it a reasonable number like 150 or 200..

As it stands, its annoying enough to deposit with DEWA, security for flat, palm utilities, etc.. Thats like 5k out the window you can't touch for 1 or more years.. I'm trying to get my employer to cover these refundable's, because they are just that, refundable..
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Natural Gas Pricing Vs Electric.. Sep 05, 2011
I think Canadians are very cautious with their money, not saying its a bad thing, infact a good thing specially in this fiscal climate.

I had a friend born and raised here after living in Canada for a few years he won't even buy bottled water when on visit. Carries a bottle around with him and refills it at the next water cooler ! And its not like he aint doing well or anything ?
desertdudeshj

You can be so polite at times DDS. :) Is "cautious" the new word for "cheap"? :o
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

desertdudeshj wrote:I think Canadians are very cautious with their money, not saying its a bad thing, infact a good thing specially in this fiscal climate.

I had a friend born and raised here after living in Canada for a few years he won't even buy bottled water when on visit. Carries a bottle around with him and refills it at the next water cooler ! And its not like he aint doing well or anything ?

Hey, your right... I do fill my own water bottle to take everywhere.. Especily during the summer.. I don't refill it in other peoples coolers though, but my own from home... :)

I'm cheap to spend it on stupid things (deposits, pay more then I need to..) etc.. I would rather spend it on vacations, new computers, and other stuff like that.. For example, I would never a normal vacuum when a miele is so much better and quieter.. Same with the washer, I will buy a washing machine and dishwasher from miele.. Prices are much cheaper then in Canada which is impressive..
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

i had paid ~300 dhs deposit for my evision box back in 2005, when i cancelled my subsciption this year, i was of course told i wouldnt get the deposit back even if i returned it !
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Natural Gas pricing vs electric.. Sep 05, 2011
And I bet there are 100 other stories people can tell us.. Point is, don't deposit unless its really really needed I guess and you have no choice.. This is why subtracting over time from this deposit would make sense.. But they like keeping your money instead.. So it works well for them..
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

My old water delivery company refuses to refund me back my 35 bucks ! LOL
desertdudeshj

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat