National Pride?!?!?

Topic locked
National Pride?!?!? Dec 03, 2010
So living in JBR now and working in Jumeirah all day today (no holiday for me). I started to hear the horns start honking at the office about 3pm....it is now 1am at home in JBR and still going strong. Is there no parades? Fireworks? National Public address from the Leaders? SOMETHING other than putting tacky stickers all over your car (windscreen included) and driving around like a tool honking your horn and revving your engine with the kids hanging out the sunroof?

Man, watching these people I get no sense of national pride, just a sense of those that should have been skimmed off the gene pool.

/rant. DD wants sleep tonight.

dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: National Pride?!?!? Dec 03, 2010
DD I was just looking at National Days today on t'internet. Did you know that 01 November is National Day Of The Dead and 27 July is Take Your Pants For a Walk Day? I dunno about you but I take my pants out every day. Sorry to hear about that racket in JBR, I would make a deduction from your rent for the sleepless night incurred.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

There used to be. Festivities, nice parades, the city would be lighted up and you could actually feel that the people locals and expats were actually proud. But to be honest since the late great Shk Zayed passed away in fact just a few year before that. It started to get be relegated down to this kind of buffonery.

I did hear there is something going on AD though.
desertdudeshj

Bethsmum wrote:DD I was just looking at National Days today on t'internet. Did you know that 01 November is National Day Of The Dead and 27 July is Take Your Pants For a Walk Day? I dunno about you but I take my pants out every day. Sorry to hear about that racket in JBR, I would make a deduction from your rent for the sleepless night incurred.

The traffic is a pain on holidays and weekends, but no big deal, usually just 5 minutes or so. After a long, frustrating day, a bit of peace would be nice. It's only one day, so no biggie, I'm just (still) amazed at the fact that this "buffoonery" as DD says is all there is for the people.

I just don't see the point in getting in a traffic jam and honking your horn like a fool. Maybe I should try it in Jumeirah or Mirdif on Canada Day and see how that goes over.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Or on Take Your Pants For a Walk Day!
I have just had a txt of my little Emirati mate, funnily enough, saying 'we have National Day'. I replied saying 'I know, keep the bloody noise down'. He has yet to txt me back LOL
Bethsmum

Call it legal hooliganism
desertdudeshj

Bethsmum wrote:Or on Take Your Pants For a Walk Day!
I have just had a txt of my little Emirati mate, funnily enough, saying 'we have National Day'. I replied saying 'I know, keep the bloody noise down'. He has yet to txt me back LOL

Thanks for that! Tell him to buckle up when he is driving on 2 wheels on SZR!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Maybe he was trying to one up and say. Na na na naa na, we have a national day and you don't ?
desertdudeshj

I might take my pants for a walk and get some video and youtube that shizza. These guys are total tards, revving up a Patrol (souped up) so it backfires and flames shoot out. Kinda cool (in a high school way) the first time, but still?

Yes, the traffic has not moved in an hour super-patrol-desert-douche has made it from one side of the round about to the other. It would be so funny if it started on fire. I would just laugh. Point first, then laugh.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

dubaidog wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:Or on Take Your Pants For a Walk Day!

Thanks for that! Tell him to buckle up when he is driving on 2 wheels on SZR!

OOh DD, he doesn't do that sort of stuff, BM is a nervous passenger.
Bethsmum

desertdudeshj wrote:There used to be. Festivities, nice parades, the city would be lighted up and you could actually feel that the people locals and expats were actually proud. But to be honest since the late great Shk Zayed passed away in fact just a few year before that. It started to get be relegated down to this kind of buffonery.

I did hear there is something going on AD though.

That's too bad. Having organized festivities every year is the only way to make a tradition and bring people together to express their pride in a better way, than say honking horns etc.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

I think they have no concept of events, marches, parades etc etc anymore like in other cities and countries. I really don't blame the people engaing in bufoonery as there is no offical venue or events or celebrations planned by the local govts of each emirates. I think the biggest talk of the own was of some fireworks in Abu Dhabi.

Every year Eid and National day celebrations got smaller and smaller to being almost extinct now. People all over the west complain about not being able to celebrate their holidays. I can voice similar complaints here. Chirstmas is celebrated here with more fevour than Eid is.

When I was a kid National Day, Eid, Christmas and even Diwali was celebrated to the extent that got a kid excited. Nowadays all you can look forward to is traffic.

/ rant no 2 in this thread over !
desertdudeshj

There has been plenty of money kicking around Dubai, so I really don't understand why there aren't for festivals and celebrations planned. National Day should be huge, something everyone looks forward to every year.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

there are lots of those celebration sites but those dump locals just want a reason to decorate their cars and act stupid.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

uaekid wrote:there are lots of those celebration sites but those dump locals just want a reason to decorate their cars and act stupid.

So not you in the flame-throwing Patrol then kid? Point in your favour.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: National Pride?!?!? Dec 05, 2010
dubaidog wrote:
uaekid wrote:there are lots of those celebration sites but those dump locals just want a reason to decorate their cars and act stupid.

So not you in the flame-throwing Patrol then kid? Point in your favour.

He's the one behind in the badly resprayed blacked out Honda Civic with the blingy Sharjah hub caps, fur lined dashboard, fake Recaro seats, plastic whale tail bolt on wing and half a dustbin stuck on the end of the echaust pipe! He revs and revs, but all you can hear is a whine...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: National Pride?!?!? Dec 05, 2010
Aww that's a bit unfair DK! I picture the KID in that X6 I saw once with a leopard print paint job and wheels that looked as if they were going backwards when they stopped. Totally awesome.
Bethsmum

Re: National Pride?!?!? Dec 06, 2010
One of the oddest things I have seen in Dubai was an Emirati family (full national dress) - 2 kids - waiting on the queu to see Santa Claus at Wafi Mall - I did not have a camera!
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Seen in Mazaya Centre a few years ago: an Indian Santa, sitting in a sleigh drawn by 4 camels!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:Seen in Mazaya Centre a few years ago: an Indian Santa, sitting in a sleigh drawn by 4 camels!

Knight

Live or mannequins?
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Stuffed camels, but I am sure I saw the Indian blink!

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:Stuffed camels, but I am sure I saw the Indian blink!

Knight

Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: National Pride?!?!? Dec 08, 2010
I don't appreciate such way of celebration, it's cheap.
National pride shouldn't be celebrated that way, and a lot of Emaratis share the same opinion.

One more thing that I think is lame somehow, is the posters with the "Sheikhs" photos !!
It's SUPER LAME and I strongly disagree and against such a thing. Some people here just don't know how to express their appreciation of something/someone in the proper way.
symmetric
BANNED

Re: National Pride?!?!? Dec 09, 2010
Yeah I hate the posters as well. I don't particularly like the national day idiots that make the roads more hazardous than normal but the posters are completey uneeded and only serve to give an insight to how much they love themselves. Its not just the huge ones on SZR but every hotel, shop, etc. What are they trying to prove to us or themselves?
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

desertdudeshj

I call the posters on Sheikh Zayed Road 'Sheikh on a stick'...

Knight
Dubai Knight

Well at least someone has finally come out and basically said that locals are wiping themselves out of the roads:

http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php?id ... tle=Safety must start at home

And many of the idiots didn't get away with it:

http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php?id ... title=Dead end for drivers
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Talking of national pride, can someone explain the part in bold to me?

How does attacking a person wearing a particular cloth imply hatred for the whole country?

ABU DHABI // An expatriate woman may face up to a half-million dirhams in fines and damages for uttering seven words: “Go away, you animal! You are impolite!”

In recently released Supreme Court documents, justices upheld an Emirati lawyer’s arguments for damages but said the woman’s arguments on verbal-abuse charges had been unfairly rejected. The entire civil case should be retried, the court held.

“The defendant assaulted him while he was wearing the national dress, which implied she had a deep-rooted malice toward the country and its people,” the lawyer said in court documents.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

@BBR,

I may have one explanetion: Woman had a bad lawyer!
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Dubai Knight wrote:Seen in Mazaya Centre a few years ago: an Indian Santa, sitting in a sleigh drawn by 4 camels!

Knight

Were there any Filipino elves around ?
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat