Mparking

Topic locked
mparking May 12, 2009
I received an email from someone about "mparking". Paying parking meters by mobile.

Apparently you send a message to "7275" containing:

Plate No.[space](Zone No.*)[space]The number 1 or 2

*The zone number can be found at the bottom of the signage that says it is meter parking (example: 335C) and the 1 or 2 is the number of hours.

10 minutes before expiration you will automatically receive a text asking if you want to extend the parking fee (Y or N).

Is anyone aware of this, and if so, is it safe? When they go around giving tickets do they put your plate into a handheld to check?

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 12, 2009
I heard about this on the radio the other day. Never heard of anything like it before. Very advanced of Dubai to go for this system.

It's great because you won't have to run down to feed the meter when it runs out. You can do it from anywhere.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 12, 2009
Good way for Dubai municipality to bring the money in. And probably will help cut costs.
PointGiven
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 12, 2009
Forgot to mention, I think there is a 30 fils charge. Which is well worth it when you wake up at 7:55 AM and have 5 minutes to get to the car just to feed it coins.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 12, 2009
Yeah it might actually make the DM less money because less people get fines.

I think it's awesome.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 14, 2009
Is it just me or have all the meter maids disappeared since this came out !

the last week I was shuttling my wife around for various interviews at various locations around dubai and on more than a couple of occasions I pourposely didn't renew the ticket trying to see how long before some one came along to prompt me.

But to my surprise no one showed up. At one stop I actually overstayed for around 45mins without a metermaid in sight ! Also I was having coffee for a friend she actually forgot to renew hers by over an hour and ran to see but nothing ! no fine ?

Also what I find stupid is 1dh for 1 hour and 5 for 2hrs ! Nobody puts in 5 bucks at a time. OK this would make sense before mparking as someone would surely forget to renew the ticket, but now with mparking no one is going to pay for more than an hour in one go. But still the charges are the same ?
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 14, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Is it just me or have all the meter maids disappeared since this came out !

the last week I was shuttling my wife around for various interviews at various locations around dubai and on more than a couple of occasions I pourposely didn't renew the ticket trying to see how long before some one came along to prompt me.

But to my surprise no one showed up. At one stop I actually overstayed for around 45mins without a metermaid in sight ! Also I was having coffee for a friend she actually forgot to renew hers by over an hour and ran to see but nothing ! no fine ?

Also what I find stupid is 1dh for 1 hour and 5 for 2hrs ! Nobody puts in 5 bucks at a time. OK this would make sense before mparking as someone would surely forget to renew the ticket, but now with mparking no one is going to pay for more than an hour in one go. But still the charges are the same ?

Charges will probably be the same. As for the missing meter maids, they generally disappear in the hot weather. You can find them in the lobby of a building or a grocery store.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 14, 2009
well this is nice, but then how will the meter maid now that you paid thru mobile? will they text your plate number to them telling you paid parking fee?

on the other i agree with bora when summer comes meter maids usually are basking or hidding on the lobby of a building and groceries... i usually see them there.
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

May 14, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Is it just me or have all the meter maids disappeared since this came out !

You can still forget to text again before the hour is finished....(if your phone is on slient and you miss the alert) :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Too All A Reply May 19, 2009
Hey All,

As far as what i know, yes indeed its a good initative, i have interacted with few metermaids... to get more info on mParking...
Yes there is a 30 fils charge to it (30 fills cool, i would not mind paying up 30 fils to avoid having to put on my clothes early morning and go down to the ZOMBIE machines to feed it coins)
Yes once you send the appropriate information which is <car plate> <zone no> <duration> to 7275 well you recieve a confirmation message and if you have recieved a confirmation message thats all, get going the metermaids have access to the list of vehicles that have paid using mParking.
As far as my explorations go, i have explored to find out that Sheik Zayed Rd, Dubai Internet City & Media City has these services up and running now...
Waiting for it to Reach Abu Hail...inshallah, lets hope RTA instead of increasing salik gates, go ahead and implement mParking for all the Paid Parkin Zones! i really really on saturdays stay back in my bed under my blanket!!!
hamzu
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

May 24, 2009
Has anyone used this yet?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 24, 2009
No, didn't use any paid parking last week, but I'm watching this thread with interest. Like any new application of technology I would expect a few teething problems so be careful out there! :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat