Most Useless Jobs In Dubai

Topic locked
Most useless jobs in Dubai Jan 31, 2007
Been here a few months now and experienced the delights of the head-banging bureaucracy that keeps the chosen ones in dirhams, but I thought I'd try to find out just what is the most useless employment of people who earn a few dirhams an hour to do, well, not very much.

My nominations are:

- toilet "attendants" (not cleaners) who stand around offering paper towels when they'd be much better clearing the knee-deep water and muck all over the place.

- the lift operators in the Burjaman Centre. Obviously someone thought it'd ber chic like a posh hotel but given there is only a choice of 4 floors, a man sitting on a stool pushing buttons for 12 hours a day is ridiculous. Even in this lazy age, pushing a button is not beyond most people.

- the guys who stand at road works waving red flags to tell you to slow down. Well, I say flags, often it's a piece of material about the size of a postage stamp and you don't know what he's doing until you're about 2 metres away. In other countries we have novel inventions that do this job better without the need for a daily wage, they're called road signs.

Any other "delights" I've yet to experience?

scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Most useless jobs in Dubai Jan 31, 2007
scot1870 wrote:Any other "delights" I've yet to experience?

I'm half convinced whinging is well practiced profession in Dubai.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 31, 2007
My vote would have to go to the guys at city centre with the whistles directing the taxis - i think they are great though, so enthusiastic in their whistling!
Coops
Dubai Forums Frequenter

^ian^ wrote:
scot1870 wrote:Any other "delights" I've yet to experience?

I'm half convinced whinging is well practiced profession in Dubai.
:lol: true
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 31, 2007
scott1870: It means companies in Dubai have more finances to spend on salary expense for useless jobs. :)

How about the boy who prepares tea in the office?
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

scot1870 wrote:- the guys who stand at road works waving red flags to tell you to slow down. Well, I say flags, often it's a piece of material about the size of a postage stamp and you don't know what he's doing until you're about 2 metres away. In other countries we have novel inventions that do this job better without the need for a daily wage, they're called road signs.

You think that is their only job? They only do that as needed, when there is a bulldozer sticking out on the road or something. They then go back to hard labour.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 31, 2007
asc_26 wrote:scott1870: It means companies in Dubai have more finances to spend on salary expense for useless jobs. :)

i believe that the tea boy is one of the most important people in the company. If i dont get my tea in the morning, i wont be able to perform properly at work
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

gtmash wrote:
scot1870 wrote:- the guys who stand at road works waving red flags to tell you to slow down. Well, I say flags, often it's a piece of material about the size of a postage stamp and you don't know what he's doing until you're about 2 metres away. In other countries we have novel inventions that do this job better without the need for a daily wage, they're called road signs.

Believe me, at the roadworks near me there’s always someone at it despite the fact that the roundabout is perfectly functioning and they’re just stood in the middle filling it in. They’ve also taken to standing out in the traffic in busy times to let some lanes filter through, adds 15 minutes to my normal commute in the morning!

I suppose if you earn 700Dhs a month to work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day then you're entitled to find creative ways to avoid work. My point was that they serve absolutely no purpose in warning traffic.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

scot1870 wrote:
gtmash wrote:

Believe me, at the roadworks near me there’s always someone at it despite the fact that the roundabout is perfectly functioning and they’re just stood in the middle filling it in. They’ve also taken to standing out in the traffic in busy times to let some lanes filter through, adds 15 minutes to my normal commute in the morning!

I suppose if you earn 700Dhs a month to work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day then you're entitled to find creative ways to avoid work. My point was that they serve absolutely no purpose in warning traffic.

I'd guess he's ordered to do it. Otherwise the other labourers would probably pound his ass for working less than them.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 31, 2007
Bleakus wrote:
asc_26 wrote:scott1870: It means companies in Dubai have more finances to spend on salary expense for useless jobs. :)

i believe that the tea boy is one of the most important people in the company. If i dont get my tea in the morning, i wont be able to perform properly at work

It is not that important. It means you have your tea break first before starting your work? Coffee or tea should be included in your breakfast at home before going to work.

The staff who prepares tea at work promotes laziness and undiscipline employees. Staff could easily ask the "boy" to make tea or coffee even if it's not yet "tea break".

Instead of hiring someone to make tea for them, staff should do it own their own, and preparation should be included in the tea break.

I've notice several personnel of many companies holding their cup of tea or coffee while conversing with customers inside the office, and it is not yet time for tea break. Really unpleasant scenario especially in the corporate world.

But then, it depends on the co's culture. :D
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 31, 2007
asc_26 wrote:Instead of hiring someone to make tea for them, staff should do it own their own, and preparation should be included in the tea break.

I agree, if only because they don't make very good coffee where I work.

'tea break'? Interesting concept, but we're one of those drink whilst you work places.

The needless job thing is just typical of the culture, really.

I always thought bag packers in supermarkets were pretty pointless . . . I can do it myself!
iapetus11
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 31, 2007
asc_26 wrote:
It is not that important. It means you have your tea break first before starting your work? Coffee or tea should be included in your breakfast at home before going to work.

inshallah when i get married, my wife would make me breakfast....and vice versa ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 31, 2007
well if a client comes in and sits down in your office, you need someone to make tea for the client, its like team work
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 31, 2007
Bleakus wrote:
asc_26 wrote:

inshallah when i get married, my wife would make me breakfast....and vice versa ;)

If she makes your breakfast, and you make her breakfast...why don't you two make your own food.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 31, 2007
gtmash wrote:
If she makes your breakfast, and you make her breakfast...why don't you two make your own food.

then where is the communication between us? think about it
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 31, 2007
gtmash wrote:
Bleakus wrote:
asc_26 wrote:

Even better, take the man who blocks my roundabout every morning and give something meaningful to do :D
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 01, 2007
Bleakus wrote:well if a client comes in and sits down in your office, you need someone to make tea for the client, its like team work

This is a different scenario, you're offering something to your client. Your secretary or receptionist who is only sitting & re-touching her make-up can do it for your client, but hiring someone to make coffee for the staff is needless.

Again, it depends on the co's culture.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 01, 2007
When u have a staff of 300 people....the tea boy can be VERY USEFUL!...

Bleakus....as for ur wife...making her breakfast and vise versa....ur answer should be "my breakfast would taste much better coming from the hands of my wife....would male it even more special than me making it myself...its not about the breakfast that counts...but the quality time used " aaakh what am i talking abt here...loool....nothing.

Nways...we need that tea boy!
guest999

Feb 01, 2007
are you saying that i should lie to my wife? shame on you!! :D
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat