Locals TOLD To Respect Laws Elsewhere

Topic locked
Re: Locals TOLD to respect laws elsewhere May 23, 2011
Chocoholic wrote:BM, just get lost ok. You're not impressing anyone round here. You're a sad little woman, with nothing better to do than throw idle threats at people!

You are beyond pathetic.

All DK was doing was making a point, which you chose to ignore and I backed him up. Your silly little threats weren't necessary.

Just go away!

That'll be a no! LOL
I thought you said I didn't bother you?
:lol: :lol:

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

BM, you're a witch! All you do is cause trouble and threaten people, you do not live here. Go away!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Locals TOLD To Respect Laws Elsewhere May 23, 2011
DDS and Chocs are not the only ones who "shack up" illegally,
and BM is not the only one who drinks without a license.

So you all just need to give it a rest.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Locals TOLD To Respect Laws Elsewhere May 23, 2011
benwj wrote:DDS and Chocs are not the only ones who "shack up" illegally,

No we know that and Sage will give the the run down on alcohol laws here. But threatening to mess with peoples lives is not on, in any shape or form.

As we keep saying, WE all live here, we KNOW what is what, she however is merely a visitor, yet she professes to know all.

So she can go and flippin' well drown in her damn slurry pit for all I care!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

http://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/tra ... ile-abroad
"And when you treat people, you have to not be arrogant, especially at the borders and at government buildings," he said. "Don't forget you are not in your country."

It seems there just might be hope for the desert dewellers 8)
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Locals TOLD To Respect Laws Elsewhere May 24, 2011
Hey ! ...... I'm all legal mate, no shackin' up goin on here ! Send over anybody for peek a boo :D Got a ton of duly attested, signed, sealed, approved papers, forms and booklets from two countries and three emirates to prove it 8)

I still want my ring side seats though !
desertdudeshj

Chocoholic wrote:

No we know that and Sage will give the the run down on alcohol laws here. But threatening to mess with peoples lives is not on, in any shape or form.

As we keep saying, WE all live here, we KNOW what is what, she however is merely a visitor, yet she professes to know all.

So she can go and flippin' well drown in her damn slurry pit for all I care!

Well I don't care, so sit on that and swivel. :lol: :lol: :lol:

-- Tue May 24, 2011 12:30 am --

desertdudeshj wrote:Hey ! ...... I'm all legal mate, no shackin' up goin on here ! Send over anybody for peek a boo :D Got a ton of duly attested, signed, sealed, approved papers, forms and booklets from two countries and three emirates to prove it 8)

I still want my ring side seats though !

Congratulations! I'll send you some VIP seats as a nice wedding pressie. You can even come in through the front door. :D
Bethsmum

So let me get this straight the laws of the land are not being adhered to but it doesn't matter because each of you has somebody to get you out of jail. That just about sums up all that is wrong with the f******** judiciary, the laws are not applied to everybody, those that have enough wasta can do what the hell they like. Fantastic I think that you have proven my point. Thank you.

-- Tue May 24, 2011 12:34 am --

PS DK I was only joking about the environment!!!! I'm well aware of what a green city Dubai is.
patience
Dubai Forums Frequenter

patience wrote:So let me get this straight the laws of the land are not being adhered to but it doesn't matter because each of you has somebody to get you out of jail. That just about sums up all that is wrong with the f******** judiciary, the laws are not applied to everybody, those that have enough wasta can do what the hell they like. Fantastic I think that you have proven my point. Thank you.

PS DK I was only joking about the environment!!!! I'm well aware of what a green city Dubai is.

It is what it is Patience. People pull strings in the UK. You just have to look at MP's and the Freemasons and the Police themselves. Most of them couldn't lie straight in bed.
Bethsmum

Agreed - what it is is wrong here or anywhere. That being said you cannot compare the system here to the system in Dubai. After all we have a little thing called human rights that would encompass having a fair trial, something that you would not be entitled to in Dubai. Just as an example evidence disallowed by judges, cross- examination of witness not permitted, trial all in Arabic with no interpretor (no matter what you hear). I could go on, but as I said apples and oranges.
patience
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Yes, these are just being used to threaten harm to others which is childish and unethical.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:

Yes, these are just being used to threaten harm to others which is childish and unethical.

So that would be DK, Chocs and BM! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bethsmum

patience wrote:So let me get this straight the laws of the land are not being adhered to but it doesn't matter because each of you has somebody to get you out of jail. That just about sums up all that is wrong with the f******** judiciary, the laws are not applied to everybody, those that have enough wasta can do what the hell they like. Fantastic I think that you have proven my point. Thank you.

Not necessarily correct patience, let me explain. Certain nationalities of expats have a blind eye turned for certain things. Half the people I know life together unmarried, so long as you don't annoy your neighbours or get into trouble then no one has any reason to check - unless some evil person decides to snitch/grass/whatever for some malicious reason! It's merely because under Sharia law and Islam in general, opposite s.exes, who are not married cohabiting is deemed Haram! (Technically my boyf doesn't exist here, so you'd be hard pressed to prove I'm living with a ghost! - plus nothing is in our name, so we don't exist in our residence or for the utilities etc)

The same with the alcohol license, they authorities turn a blind eye - that one is ALL about money! They will only catch you for it, if you do something stupid whilst under the influence, or hold noisy parties and whatnot.

But then the same can be said for the number of hookers there are here? Locals in national dress drinking in bars - all illegal, but a blind eye gets turned. Cripes, even using a maid that is not on your sponsorship or from an agency is illegal - did you know that? And that carries a 100,000 Dhs fine! There's actually quite a good equilibrium, until you get nosey beaks and meddlers.

If you get pulled up for something, there's only a certain window for the use of 'wasta' as they call it. Once any case gets passed to the court you've had it!

As is the way of the world, it's not necessarily what you know, but who you know and it's always extremely useful to have a couple of people up your sleeve in this place!

I've worked pretty closely with the police on various campaigns in the past, so good relationships have been formed.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I know all that my point is that when you all state that you all respect the law in Dubai it turns out that you don't really. And yes I am aware that your wasta can pull some strings for you but if you run into trouble that wasta dries up real fast and every little misdemeanor will see you going through the courts where you can experience the legal system up close and personal.
patience
Dubai Forums Frequenter

patience wrote:I know all that my point is that when you all state that you all respect the law in Dubai it turns out that you don't really. And yes I am aware that your wasta can pull some strings for you but if you run into trouble that wasta dries up real fast and every little misdemeanor will see you going through the courts where you can experience the legal system up close and personal.

Yes Patience, I have to admit that I buy a few bottles of Chardonnay at the Duty Free in Dubai International Airport. I can assure you that this is the only time I have broken the law in Dubai.
Bethsmum

patience wrote:I know all that my point is that when you all state that you all respect the law in Dubai it turns out that you don't really. And yes I am aware that your wasta can pull some strings for you but if you run into trouble that wasta dries up real fast and every little misdemeanor will see you going through the courts where you can experience the legal system up close and personal.

Ok, so here's one for you! What if someone CAN'TA get an alcohol license. We know it states that everyone is meant to have one - however, tourists can't apply for one, so they're breaking the law the second they walk into the Duty Free shop! Many people's companies refuse to sign for one - if they're locally run - so some are 'forced' to break the law, but through no fault of their own. There are plenty of Catch 22 laws like this, which is why the authorities turn a blind eye.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Absolutely the law there is a dumbass. In the same respect that you can go and drink in the hotels but if you run into trouble having just been to a hotel that sold you alcohol you can be done for being intoxicated. Personally I would want Sheikh Ahmed to accompany me to court and name him as my supplier in the same way that if it was drugs you would dob in the dealer!!!!! Can't see that happening though but would be rather funny.
patience
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Locals TOLD to respect laws elsewhere May 24, 2011
Basically Dubai runs on tourism, foreign investment and a foreign work force. If they tighten the reigns too much, people will stop coming. As I said it's a fine equilibruim that cuts both ways. Sure every now and then something blows up and you get the media coverage and the reiteratrion of laws, just as a reminder, but then it all goes quiet again.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Locals TOLD To Respect Laws Elsewhere Jun 06, 2011
Chocoholic wrote:

Ok, so here's one for you! What if someone CAN'TA get an alcohol license. We know it states that everyone is meant to have one - however, tourists can't apply for one, so they're breaking the law the second they walk into the Duty Free shop! Many people's companies refuse to sign for one - if they're locally run - so some are 'forced' to break the law, but through no fault of their own. There are plenty of Catch 22 laws like this, which is why the authorities turn a blind eye.

Temporary liquor license is available for tourists from Dubai Police.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

Temporary liquor license is available for tourists from Dubai Police.

That is not true sage, in adition a liquor license needs a sponsor's approval, which tourists don't have.
What the police say , is that you can ask, well you can always ask anything.
The only place tourists can buy alcohol legally is on their way OUT , at the duty free shops at the airport.
And how would you know anyways, did you try to get some booze from some friends visiting you.

-- Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:50 pm --

Chocoholic wrote:Basically Dubai runs on tourism, foreign investment and a foreign work force. If they tighten the reigns too much, people will stop coming. As I said it's a fine equilibruim that cuts both ways. Sure every now and then something blows up and you get the media coverage and the reiteratrion of laws, just as a reminder, but then it all goes quiet again.

It started already, less tourists are coming, although Dubai Gov is covering up the statistics, some time they slip up, last month shk mo asked the tourism department to improve ways to attract tourists and develop tourism.
Well... you dont fix something unless it is broken :lol:
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sorry hervey poo to burst another one of your pulled out of the arse facts. I still have good and deep connections in the tourism industry, and this past season bussiness has be rather good, best it has been since the economic downturn, peaking pretty high at last year end, infact even busier than before the bad times then. So someone is keeping the hotels and tour operators busy ?

And ofcourse bussiness is going down, it always does this time of the year, its summer, off season mate !
desertdudeshj

Herve, alcohol at the airport brings in huge revenue. More revenue comes from those arriving than departing. If you can only get it on the way out, then why do they have outlets in the arrival areas?? I have yet to see anyone stopped when they bought alcohol when leaving the arrival terminal. A big part of the revenue comes from those living in Dubai.

Dubai turns it's eye on the alcohol because of the revenue. They are also relying on those people buying it and bringing it IN to be responsible. They don't care what you do in your home, as long as it stays there. It's those fools that get caught for drinking and driving and mostly that drinking is done in a hotel bar.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Herve, alcohol at the airport brings in huge revenue. More revenue comes from those arriving than departing. If you can only get it on the way out, then why do they have outlets in the arrival areas?? I have yet to see anyone stopped when they bought alcohol when leaving the arrival terminal. A big part of the revenue comes from those living in Dubai.

Dubai turns it's eye on the alcohol because of the revenue. They are also relying on those people buying it and bringing it IN to be responsible. They don't care what you do in your home, as long as it stays there. It's those fools that get caught for drinking and driving and mostly that drinking is done in a hotel bar.

There is rampant abuse, if I have a business dispute with you, you know how easy is it to tilt the balance on my side, I stick a case of whiskey in your car, then i call the police.
The law is there, they look the other way, yes, until the day someone has a grudge on you, and then they will use every possible law and tricks to put you down.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Locals TOLD To Respect Laws Elsewhere Jun 07, 2011
Totally agree.

There is never a problem until there's a problem, then all these laws that you think are not enforced because the police look the other way will suddenly be cases made against you. Everybody knows it and that is why the locals have such a massive advantage when working the system and work the system they do. So the notion of equality when being dealt with by the law is just that - a notion.
patience
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat