Laser Eye Treatment

Topic locked
laser eye treatment May 28, 2009
hi all
i wanna take some advice regarding eye laser therapy
i m deciding to have a laser eye treatment
if any body knows anything about this plz let me know
do u know anyone who took this treatment succesfully?

monadtweety
Dubai Forums Member

May 28, 2009
Yes, I had my eyes done about 8 years ago now. Best thing I ever did, but certainly not a decision to be taken lightly.

Firstly you have to see if your eyes are suitable for surgery, short sightedness is easier to deal with than if you're long sighted, and astigmatisms can cause problems.

If your optician/surgeon gives the go ahead, then it's relatively easy process, with slight discomfort. Take about 10 minutes per eye, basically they put anaesthetic drops into your eyes, clamp your eye open, use a laser scalpel to make an incision in the lense, flip it to one side, laser the cornia into the desired shape to correct the sight (the burning smell is hideous, basically like burning hair), flip the lense back, then repeat on the other eye.

After about an hour they will check your eyes, you need to darkest glasses you can find as your pupils will be dilated and therefore any form of light is nasty to be in.

You will have regular check-ups. Don't expect the vision to be perfect straight away, everyone is different and the biggest problem is people have a higher expectation of what can be achieved.

I was told my vision was good enough the next day to drive without my glasses, and my eye sight was pretty much 20/20 within a couple of days.

Your bathroom will be like a chemist with the amount of drops they give you and you may or may not be given eye shields to wear at night for a week or so as your eyes heal.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 28, 2009
thanx
how many days will it take for complete healing and what it costs ? i wanna do it for short sightedness
are there chances that after some time this problem of shortsighted ness will occur again?
monadtweety
Dubai Forums Member

May 28, 2009
Like I said, everyone is different. Depending on how bad your eyesight is and whether you have astigmatism as well. If you have a very strong prescription, they might not be able to bring the vision upto 20/20. But a consultation will be able to give you an idea of the result to expect.

I had it done so long ago, that those prices are irrelevant. However, a few people I know who had in done in Dubai paid between about 12,000 - 16,000 Dhs for the procedure.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 28, 2009
I had it done around 7-8 years ago also, in the UK. It should give you excellent vision for at least 15-20 years I think (if not 20/20 for the whole time, but did you want to be a fighter pilot? :D). If your close vision (reading) is already not good it's not advisable to go for 20/20 correction as that will make your close vision deterioration noticable more quickly. Setting the laser for close to 20/20 is easily good enough for just about all people.

I really found the operation discomfort quite minor, I was chatting to the surgeon about the burning smell (he told me it's not burning, it's carbon! lasers are cold so there is no burning...lol), and as I could only just about function without contacts before (my prescription was -4.5 approx, fairly poor) it can definitely be a life changer.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 28, 2009
the burning thing sounds scarry as it is a matter of eyes but now i m really planning to do it after getting ur examples :) one thing i wanna ask although i ill discuss everything with my dr but just for my satisfaction :) wat would be the total duration of this procedure before and after the operation?
any ways loads of thanx for the quick and friendly replies
monadtweety
Dubai Forums Member

May 28, 2009
Also I forgot to answer your other question. Your eyes naturally deteriorate over time anyway, it's a natural aging process, this doesn't stop, so the likelyhood is you will end up wearing reading glasses or the like in later years.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 28, 2009
monadtweety wrote:the burning thing sounds scarry as it is a matter of eyes but now i m really planning to do it after getting ur examples :) one thing i wanna ask although i ill discuss everything with my dr but just for my satisfaction :) wat would be the total duration of this procedure before and after the operation?
any ways loads of thanx for the quick and friendly replies

You can have one or both eyes done together, depending on how you and the doc feel about it. I forget how long it took, but I had both done together (one first then the other after the first one went well) and my sight was easily good enough to get myself home immediately after the op (obviously not driving!!!). Right afterwards my sight was clear but a bit coloured by the drops he had used (and behind eye shields which I had to wear getting home and for a few nights while sleeping (to stop you rubbing your eyes while asleep).
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 28, 2009
Hmm!.. must be good!.. Plan to do...BUT.. I'm still young!!.....
Sharp
Dubai Expat Helper

May 28, 2009
Hi there,

Moorfields eye Hospital in Healthcare City is probably as good as it gets anywhere in the world in terms of being safe and reputable. I went for the consultation recently and still trying to drum up the bottle to follow through. Bit nervous because i'm very shortsighted (-7, one up from a white stick). State of the art kit, Italian surgeon.

For the non-brits, Moorfields is a very famous hospital in London that's been there since Nelson got his first specs. AED 14,000.
Richard Head
Dubai Forum Guest

May 28, 2009
Alot of people go to the eye clinic in Jumeirah, it also has a very good reputation.

Yes, if you're still young, they won't even consider it until your eyes have been stable for 2 years.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 29, 2009
did u people experience dry eyes problem and blurry vison etc ? i m getting double minded to do so b/c i have read some scarry informations about risks and complications of LASIk
wat should i do :O
monadtweety
Dubai Forums Member

May 29, 2009
Yes I suffered from dry eyes for a while, but you just use natural tears drops for that. Also when I look at lights, esp at night there is a sort of halo effect and they splay outwards, but used to get that with my glasses anyway, so no big deal.

As I keep telling you, everyone is different, no-one can 100% predict the outcome.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 29, 2009
I had no trouble at all. Guess it varies, try to find out percentages. They must be small or it wouldn't be so popular. I also get slight halo effect with lights in darkness, but it's minimal and certainly not a problem. I think that's pretty normal. It doesn't affect driving or anything like that.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 04, 2009
Richard Head wrote:Hi there,

Moorfields eye Hospital in Healthcare City is probably as good as it gets anywhere in the world in terms of being safe and reputable. I went for the consultation recently and still trying to drum up the bottle to follow through. Bit nervous because i'm very shortsighted (-7, one up from a white stick). State of the art kit, Italian surgeon.

For the non-brits, Moorfields is a very famous hospital in London that's been there since Nelson got his first specs. AED 14,000.

is it in dubai?? if yes, where in dubai?
scms
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 04, 2009
er in Health Care Ciuty - that'll be that huge healthcare complex behind Wafi then! :roll:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 04, 2009
Chocs! Sarcasm is the sharp tool of a blunt mind :P
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 04, 2009
Well the info WAS there in the post. Didn't really take a brain surgeon to find it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat