Hotels Star Rating

Topic locked
Hotels star rating Jun 26, 2011
I was visiting Bangkok this weekend, and stayed in a supposedly "4 stars hotel", as per booking.com, and the price was really cheap for a 4 stars hotel, but I thought perhaps due to its location. However, when I first arrived to the hotel, I was shocked that there was no elevator :shock: No room service & laundry either!

I was just wondering have any of you ever been to a 4 stars hotel that didn't have an elevator?
Or did the hotel just lie about its star rating?

symmetric
BANNED

Re: Hotels star rating Jun 26, 2011
oooooooh, if that happened to me, i would be PISSED :evil:
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Hotels Star Rating Jun 26, 2011
Sym, did you check the hotel's website?? or didn't they have one?? :o

It's called: you get what you pay for. Hope you weren't on a high floor. :P
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

@General .. I was disappointed from the fact that they lied about their star rate :shock:
Bs el decoration mal el '3urfa kan 7elo el 9ara7a ;)

@Bora .. I used booking.com (also hotels.com), and it was rated as 4 stars, and most of the reviews were so positive, thats why I was interested in trying it.

I stayed at the 5th floor :mrgreen: I did some exercise going up and down haha!
The reciptionist offered me to carry my stuff, but I refused. It was embaressing I don't know why.

True, you get what you pay for ;) .. When travelling alone or with friends I usually go for basic 3 star hotels.
I rather pay more for business class flights than to pay for 5 star hotels :D
symmetric
BANNED

Hope you travelled light Sym!!! :drunken: Depending on the travel time, I would opt for the comfort of a hotel over a business class ticket. Then again, if I'm travelling Emirates Airlines I make a call and it's an upgrade for me :lol: !!! so I get both.

I don't go on "reviews" unless I can find a number of them. What is 4 star to some is 1 star to others (you being a 4/3 star person you would know the difference!! :o ) I go to websites to check out hotels, not that they are all that reliable. Sometimes I wonder if the picture could be another property or a picture from 20 years ago!!!! :drunken:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

It simply depends on where it is - location, location, location and the amount of people that visit or number of hotels - you would not get away with calling a dump a "5 star" hotel in New York/Paris/Venice but would in Nicaragua and the UAE! The ratings depend on certain "amenities' but does not require luxury for each.

Sort of the like some expats "Big shots" in the UAE (5 stars), hairdressers/mechanics back home (2/3 stars)!
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Booking.com star ratings are based on user reviews not the actual stars the hotel carries.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

@Bora .. I love these calls :D
@Ambassador .. Agreed.
@DDS .. I never knew that :shock:
symmetric
BANNED

erm the star rating was probably that given by the website and ratings of other users, NOT the actual hotel star rating.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat