Home Help Is Not An Excuse!

Topic locked
Home help is not an excuse! Jan 02, 2007
Thought I'd just point out how some people have really lost the plot here just because home help is so cheap.

Point 1 was on Christmas Day, I was out walking in my neighbourhood and it was quite frankly sickening to see so many kids out there on their new bikes/ skateboards etc. with their NANNY there to look over them! Yes, you work hard to buy the presents but the real joy is in seeing your kids enjoy them, not just watching them unwrap them then going back to bed and letting the nanny get on with it. Give the nanny the week off and spend some quality time with your kids for once.

Point 2 was speaking to a language tutor over the break who was describing how she'd been left with a local child who needed to go to the toilet. The kid was about 10 but let's just say things ended up very messy as the kid didn't know how to wipe his own bum - that was the nanny's job and she wasn't there!

Come on people, get a grip.

scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 02, 2007
yeah it is pretty serious
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 02, 2007
Home help cannot take the place of Parents and never should.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 02, 2007
I've also observed this far too often. Nannies running after unruly kids, trying to control them, while the parents are busy with whatever - when out in public. What's the point of an outing with the kids if the nanny is going to be taking care them even during outings? And many times (not always of course) the parents don't even say boo to their kids, no control over them, no discipline, yeah the spoiled-kid syndrome is so prevalent. I think that the concept of what a nanny should really be is kinda busted around here.

What segment of the population do you think is most affected by this nanny-attachment problem...?
freza
Dubai chat master

Jan 02, 2007
freza wrote:What segment of the population do you think is most affected by this nanny-attachment problem...?

Uh oh, 10 posts later and this thread could join some others in Fight Club! :violent1: :toothy7:
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 02, 2007
But I was as subtle as I possibly could be about that question.
freza
Dubai chat master

Jan 02, 2007
We know its a disturbing prob..especially with locals..

At EID gathering the ladies at my house discussed this issue..a lady there announced she never ever had any help rising her children or house chores, she has 5 n 2 at college now..very well mannered n extremely polite(mashhallh)..every1 looked at her in shock as if it was an impossible thing to accomplish.. :roll:
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 02, 2007
as good as she can be a nanny can never replace the parents and that's for sure. and presonally, i dont understand these ppl who choose a nanny instead of upbringing their kids. i mean why having kids if u r not willing to get involved in their education, input some values and all that stuff that comes along as thei grow up.
scot had a very good point: no matter how much u spend on them (material stuff) that can never replace the attention & love spent on them.
this kids grow up to be brats for life (most of them) and for sure it is not their fault.

in addition to what mema saied: i feel sorry for the women who give up on their role as mothers. yes women can be great in any field they choose to make a career but nobody can replace a mother, and i think that is the real challenge.
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

so true Jan 02, 2007
this makes so much sense....ever since i have moved to dubai 2 weeks back...i have seen children with maids...and...just...so far...one set of parents :D ahahaa...!
cyrix
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 02, 2007
With both parents working home help sometimes becomes necessary. The key should be to spend quality time with the kids, doing homework with them, doing weekend activities together, having meals together as often as possible and keeping in touch with your kids personal lives by meeting their friends etc.
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 03, 2007
Personally I think it's ridiculous, however the sheer expense of living here very often dictates that both parents have to work. However my mother took years out of work to raise me and my brother, but it's virtually impossible to do that now, unless you're very well off.

Another issue is that you have to bear in mind that the majority of women looking after the children are 'house-maids' they are not qualified 'nannies'. They don't know how to properly look after or discipline the children, which is why their behaviour is so bad.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat