Hmm

Topic locked
Hmm Feb 17, 2009
Heres one for you,i bank with a large international bank and have a couple of credit cards with a 70 K limit,one card is paid off in full each month the other due to a major purchase is being paid off at about 30 K a month so this card i dont use or wont use untill its all paid off IE the end of this month,so i use the one which is paid off in FULL each month,are you with me so far ?,anyways using the card whic is paid off each month i paid my hotel bill or at least tried to,my card was rejected as it was over the limit IE 70 K,so straight on the phone to my beloved asking her just what the fcuk she has been buying,answer nothing,So.

Called the bankers (W) thinking that some pleb had forged my card,but,oh no no no no no sir,your limit has been reduced to 20 K,so i casually asked "when were you planning to tell me this", answer "we sent you a letter",so i paid the card off over the phone end of story,BUT just wait untill they present me with the bill for going over the limit.

This is just plain shabbie and is plainly a scam to rip folk off,watch out for firworks over Jebal Ali in about a weeks time

busa
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 17, 2009
They have you down as a bad risk
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 18, 2009
Cool,
but heres another thing i have just been told from the bank,they wont issue me with a new cheque book as my UAE visa has run out,which is weired as it dont run out untill 2011 and its my 3rd one to which they replied that i should have gone to the bank when my visa was renewed summet i aint never had to do in the past. :scratch:
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 18, 2009
busa wrote:Cool,
but heres another thing i have just been told from the bank,they wont issue me with a new cheque book as my UAE visa has run out,which is weired as it dont run out untill 2011 and its my 3rd one to which they replied that i should have gone to the bank when my visa was renewed summet i aint never had to do in the past. :scratch:

They are sure tightening up, can't blame them really, it is mostly the banks that will be left holding the bad debts. Unfortunately it always affects the honest customers.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 18, 2009
You can try to raise a stink...but the banking system here is neanderthal at best, a complete clusterf*ck at worst!

They won't listen to anything you say on the phone, your local branch manager is powerless and only does what he is told by someone from head office and if you try to make contact with anyone there, you will be run around from one (no racist slur meant here) 'Jingly' beurocrat to another, going in ever decreasing circles and never getting any higher than 'Junior Under Manager'...

Don't mess about, go straight to the top. Write a 'very stern' letter to the Managing Director or Regional CEO of the bank. Include a copy of a draft letter stating the facts that is addressed to the Gulf News or Khaleej Times or even better to The Times of London, and make it clear that this letter will be sent unless you get immediate attention and re-instatement of your rights under the International Banking Charter.

The Bank will always claim to have 'sent you a letter' about any changes to your services, however if you use online banking, which many of us do these days, they never send an email. Its always to your PO Box. Don't know about you, but I only check mine infrequently as I don't get enough snail mail to make it worthwhile.

With any luck you may get 'Senior Under Manager' on the blower to you within a matter of hours. You will be fobbed off and there will be attempts to pacify you but with no real conviction. You have to be prepared to get down right angry and indignant and really spit the dummy!

Best of luck!

Don't take any bent dirhams!

:D :D :D

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat