Formula One! Anyone????

Topic locked
Formula One! Anyone???? Oct 31, 2009
Since most of us will not be able to go down to AD to see the race tomorrow, can someone tell me if it will be carried on live TV, with English commentary?

On which station and at what time ?

Thanks!

8) 8)

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 31, 2009
i have only seen it on bahrain tv in arabic locally. supposadly there is an english version too.
Roadtester
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 31, 2009
Star Sports

Of coure you can always go along to the F1 Net Cafe on Beach Road, in Palm Strip Mall opposite "The One"

Personally I prefer to sit and watch it in front of a big telly with a beer in my hand 8) :lol:
Searcaigh
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 01, 2009
Found out this evening that the big race is at 5 PM tomorrow.

Got a late afternoon meeting tomorrow, that will surely go beyond 5.

Now going thru all the TV schedules to see if I can have the race timer-taped for watching later on, when I get home.

Got no Star Sports but between Orbit, Showtime and the freebie channels, hopefully I will find something.

Thanks guys!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 01, 2009
Correction:

Just realized it's already past midnight, so I should say the big race starts at 5 PM today (Sunday!)

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 01, 2009
The F1 is normally shown on Bahrain TV, which starts off with the discussions etc in Arabic, but when it cuts to the race, they takle the UK commentary from the BBC - Jonathan Legard and Martin Brundle, so its OK - you get the official F! feed for the pictures - the only thing you don't get is the BBC pictures when they interview drivers who go out, etc (although you hear the interviews).

I believe for this race, it is also being shown on Abu Dhabi Sports (which should be a freebie channel).

As for me.....I shall be there! Can't wait! Although i've already had 3 days of fighting for coaches to get back to the car park (talk about stressful!).

Failing that, get a proxy server that tells the internet you are in UK, and then download the whole BBC race programme from BBC iPlayer, to watch at your convenience (i shall be doing that also!).

But whatever you do, don't miss it - i think it will be a good race.
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 01, 2009
Urgh can it be over already? Sooooo sick of hearing about it!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 01, 2009
BlueOrb wrote:The F1 is normally shown on Bahrain TV, which starts off with the discussions etc in Arabic, but when it cuts to the race, they takle the UK commentary from the BBC - Jonathan Legard and Martin Brundle, so its OK - you get the official F! feed for the pictures - the only thing you don't get is the BBC pictures when they interview drivers who go out, etc (although you hear the interviews).

I believe for this race, it is also being shown on Abu Dhabi Sports (which should be a freebie channel).

As for me.....I shall be there! Can't wait! Although i've already had 3 days of fighting for coaches to get back to the car park (talk about stressful!).

Failing that, get a proxy server that tells the internet you are in UK, and then download the whole BBC race programme from BBC iPlayer, to watch at your convenience (i shall be doing that also!).

Good info!!!!

Thanks!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 01, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Urgh can it be over already? Sooooo sick of hearing about it!

Working in th media, I guess you get a bigger dose about this event .....more than the rest of us!!!

:) :)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 01, 2009
Seriously, soooooo over it!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Formula One! Anyone???? Nov 01, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:Since most of us will not be able to go down to AD to see the race tomorrow, can someone tell me if it will be carried on live TV, with English commentary?

On which station and at what time ?

Thanks!

8) 8)

Not TV but media

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/572125-l ... f1-circuit

Dubai Business News...
Anosh
Dubai Forums Talker

Nov 02, 2009
It was a good race, it would have been much improved if they had English commentary available.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 02, 2009
I was laughing last night at two friends who rocked down there yesertday without tickets, and they managed to waltz pit sie and straight into the Aerosmith gig! WTF????!!!!! Security? FAIL!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 02, 2009
Security was an absolute JOKE! You couldn't take lighters inside the grounds - they were confiscating them at the security checkpoints (complete with X-Ray scanners, hand held scanners and pat-downs). The solution? Put the lighter in your bag, which then got X-rayed, and it gets through!!! What kind of security is that? I also put it in my wallet, which didn't get X-rayed, and that got through too. Absolute joke.

Also, you weren't aloowed to take "big cameras" into the music gigs. By "big", they mean SLR's. Not very technical description. The joke is, that my camera (D50) is only about 6.4MPixels - I'm sure a blackberry has a better camera than that, and yet you could take them in. And your compact camera with video. I had a massive row with an indian guy about it, and eventually lost, having to deposit my camera with everyone else, only to have to endure a free for all and mass argument/fight at the end to get it back. That was for jamiroquai, but again, on Thursday i got it in for Beyonce. These people have no idea at all abiout anything. Another thing, i bought six bottles of water/fanta at the gig, and had all the caps removed by the helpful server, in case i threw then about......as i explaned to her, if i was going to throw anything, it would be a handful of gravel that was all over the floor. Apparently is was for Health and safety reasons......which again is strange, as they are more than happy to allow the people to work on the lighting tower (erffectively a scaffold tower), without handrails and a clear drop of over 10 metres).

Ok, rant over.

And the race was boring - seems they had nothing to race for, and the long straight kills it, in my opinion.....
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 02, 2009
f1 is not the same without schumacher or even montoya :(
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 02, 2009
Reading your report thank god I withdrew from volunteering as a marshall for this. Would have been a complete waste of my time. Which guessed rightly would be, so I didn't in the first place :D

I have a bunch of friends who did, lets see what there feedback is on this
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 02, 2009
Better to watch it at home with a beer in one hand

English commentry was available on Star Sports

It was not too exciting, I kept waiting for somebody to smash against the walls of the tunnel exit from the pits.
Searcaigh
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 02, 2009
Searcaigh wrote:Better to watch it at home with a beer in one hand

English commentry was available on Star Sports

It was not too exciting, I kept waiting for somebody to smash against the walls of the tunnel exit from the pits.

I could never find the English commentary, which was a shame actually.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 02, 2009
my first visit to abu dhabi. the f1 venue was good and compared as well to what I've seen before.

But the volunteers need to be trained. they didnt know what was going on. the locals were very hospitable but there were these other arabic speaking people (not locals) at the assistance booths that seemed rude. their english was bad, and it seemed they were making fun of everyone. and they were fighting and insulting some asian coworkers in front of visitors. very insulting and very unprofessional.
london65
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 02, 2009
london65 wrote:but there were these other arabic speaking people (not locals) at the assistance booths that seemed rude. their english was bad, and it seemed they were making fun of everyone. and they were fighting and insulting some asian coworkers in front of visitors. very insulting and very unprofessional.

The typical Lebo, Syrian, Palestinian, Egyptian etc etc crowd and their superiority complex attitude.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Formula One! Anyone???? Aug 24, 2010
Whatsup!
Are you guys going back this year?! the 2010 season is looking great!
varun
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Formula One! Anyone???? Apr 10, 2011
The F1 is normally shown on Bahrain TV, which starts off with the discussions etc in Arabic, but when it cuts to the race, they takle the UK commentary from the BBC - Jonathan Legard and Martin Brundle, so its OK - you get the official F! feed for the pictures - the only thing you don't get is the BBC pictures when they interview drivers who go out, etc (although you hear the interviews).

how can they not show it on tv but host it down the road!!
i have watched it all my life and now am p1ssed off that i move here and its not available i have all the channels everybody is stating but without a programme guide how do i record it?
is it easy to change the proxy on your internet? and if so how do u do it?
M412tyn
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat