Food Thread

Topic locked
Re: Food Thread Jun 11, 2011
Closet porkers? there are quite a few closet porkers I know of in Dubai who are partial to a little pork sausage I can tell you :shock:

:lol:

Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dillon wrote:Closet porkers? there are quite a few closet porkers I know of in Dubai who are partial to a little pork sausage I can tell you :shock:

British expats??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

I couldn't possibly claim that Bora, that would be racist! :o

Dillon

Re: Food Thread Jun 12, 2011
We have Dillon's pork meatballs for tea!

Beth didn't like them. I forgot to put them in a MacDonalds box :cry:

We'll have them again soon, very nice indeed.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Glad you liked them and my apologies to Beth.

Tonight, I had a Corned Beef and Tomato sandwich on wholemeal bread, Mmmmm!

Dillon

My speciality is corned beef and potato pie. My son in law travels all the way from Manchester for it! It must be served with HP brown sauce.

Poor Bora, I can visualise her now, barfing. :lol: :lol:

Tonight, we have just devoured roast leg of lamb (bred by yours truely) with fresh mint sauce, roast potatoes (from the garden) roast parsnips, carrots and yorkshire pudding followed by rice pudding with a hint of mixed spice.
And a couple of glasses of Chardonnay.
And a bone for the dog.

Even Beth ate it. :D
Bethsmum

Actually I like corned beef!!! Boiled corned beef and cabbage (with vinegar and butter) with boiled potatoes (with butter).

One of the things on my list of "first things to do" when I go back to the States - is to have a good Rueben sandwich!!! Next on the list is a pastrami sandwich. We go to a kosher deli where you get the very best!!!

I also do corned beef hash (from the can :oops: ) with eggs over easy and toast.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bethsmum wrote:My speciality is corned beef and potato pie. My son in law travels all the way from Manchester for it! It must be served with HP brown sauce.

Poor Bora, I can visualise her now, barfing. :lol: :lol:

Tonight, we have just devoured roast leg of lamb (bred by yours truely) with fresh mint sauce, roast potatoes (from the garden) roast parsnips, carrots and yorkshire pudding followed by rice pudding with a hint of mixed spice.
And a couple of glasses of Chardonnay.
And a bone for the dog.

Even Beth ate it. :D

Aah of course it's Sunday, :idea: I'm pi$$ed off I made do with a Corned Beef Sandwich now!! :lol:

I shared a mess with colleagues from Norfolk once and their version of Corned Beef Hash was done with onions and peas in a mashed potato pie topped with cheese!

In Yorks it's a stew with onions, carrots and diced potatoes.

-- Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:20 pm --

Bora Bora wrote:Actually I like corned beef!!! Boiled corned beef and cabbage (with vinegar and butter) with boiled potatoes (with butter).

One of the things on my list of "first things to do" when I go back to the States - is to have a good Rueben sandwich!!! Next on the list is a pastrami sandwich. We go to a kosher deli where you get the very best!!!

I also do corned beef hash (from the can :oops: ) with eggs over easy and toast.

I haven't found any descent pastrami over here at all!

:(
Dillon

Bora, I once had a corned beef sandwich in NY. Bloody hell, even I couldn't get my mouth around it! I took it back to the hotel with me and ended up binning it. My mother always said my eyes were bigger than my stomach.
It wasn't like the corned beef I'm used to, which is straight out of a tin.

My first husband used to make a mean corned beef hash. When he went out on excercise in Germany they used to get rations, all in tins. What his troop didn't eat, he brought back with him. When times were hard, we resorted to 'compo' at the end of the month, till pay day. Those tins didn't come with labels and you didn't know what you were getting untill you opened the tin. I'd often crack open a tin to find Christmas pudding or chocolate or processed cheese. The chocolate was always bars of Tiffen. I'd work my way through a few tins till I came across corned beef or chicken supreme.
Those were the days! :D
Bethsmum

Where did you find decent corned beef? I did find packaged pastrami (Sara Lee or one of those brands), but it didn't work for me. The turkey pastrami at the deli counter is dreadful.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Where did you find decent corned beef? I did find packaged pastrami (Sara Lee or one of those brands), but it didn't work for me. The turkey pastrami at the deli counter is dreadful.

As BM mentioned above, the Corned Beef in the UK is a thousand miles away from the Corned Beef in the US, most of the UK Corned Beef comes from Argentina and Brazil in tins and again as I mentioned in another thread about Spam, it is an acquired taste, :lol:
Dillon

Spam. Bluuurgh.

When I talk about corned beef, I'm talking about the piece of meat that you slice!!, not chopped in a tin. Although I did find a decent tin version from Brazil, not too salty and didn't have those little bits of white stuff in it - which I dread to think what they could be!!.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Spam. Bluuurgh.

When I talk about corned beef, I'm talking about the piece of meat that you slice!!, not chopped in a tin. Although I did find a decent tin version from Brazil, not too salty and didn't have those little bits of white stuff in it - which I dread to think what they could be!!.

Corned beef is salty by nature, it’s cured with corns of salt, hence the name, your corned beef is usually a cheap cut of brisket soaked in a brine solution, our corned beef is a mixture of beef cuts cured with dry salt and cooked in a can.

Ours is far, far better than yours!

Dillon

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat