FAO: Shopaholics

Topic locked
FAO: Shopaholics Nov 12, 2006
This is an excerpt from Gulfnews article. I find it quite interesting.

===============

What the experts say about 'shopaholics'

Professor Dr Adnan Fadhli
Psychiatrist

"In Dubai we have more than 40 malls, so the ratio of malls to people is very high in comparison to other places. Shopping is a form of amusement for many people, we are all part of this consumer society. However, some do suffer from a compulsion.

"This phenomenon can fall into a number of categories, but some people who compulsively shop may have obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), which can manifest itself in over-eating, theft, shopping or other compulsions.

"Recent studies have shown that some people also shop when depressed, to find solace. Many people find comfort in filling their trolleys and feel it is a way to overcome their depression.

I would say that people who have a shopping compulsion disorder either have depression, suffer from OCD or a personality disorder. Every mental disorder is multi-factorial.

"I have treated people for the disorder, many of whom have sought help after family members complained about their shopping compulsion. However, behind that compulsion there is normally a history of depression, which manifests itself in this manner."

===============

I'm afraid to admit that I have OCD. I consider shopping a 'therapy' when depressed and sad. Oh my - scary!

Are you a 'shopaholic' and suffering from OCD as well? Admit it...

weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 12, 2006
nah wouldnt say so, but i have to have a new look at the new gadgets in the market, but i control my urge not to buy them :)
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 12, 2006
It's a good thing I don't have that much money. I hate going to the mall anyway :D
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 12, 2006
although i hate shopping...if i am really really depressed and i am near a mall, its not good news for my bank account.

i remember i was in the states and i dropped about 2k in half an hour one day. i went home and just sat their looking at my stuff and thinking to myself when and for what reason i needed it.

it was pretty funny now that i think of it.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 12, 2006
I don’t have much money here because it will go straight to a bank account back home for me not to spend on things I don’t need.

If I am depress or sad I will go straight to any nearest spa instead of shopping or I’d stay at home and do some cleaning, scrubbing the toilet & bath even if it’s already midnight with good music playing at the background – I like it very much because I feel good & tired then I go to sleep, the next day I feel better already. :D
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 12, 2006
bushra21 wrote:although i hate shopping...if i am really really depressed and i am near a mall, its not good news for my bank account.

i remember i was in the states and i dropped about 2k in half an hour one day. i went home and just sat their looking at my stuff and thinking to myself when and for what reason i needed it.

it was pretty funny now that i think of it.

In conclusion, you've got shopping compulsion disorder!
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 12, 2006
asc_26 wrote:I don’t have much money here because it will go straight to a bank account back home for me not to spend on things I don’t need.

If I am depress or sad I will go straight to any nearest spa instead of shopping or I’d stay at home and do some cleaning, scrubbing the toilet & bath even if it’s already midnight with good music playing at the background – I like it very much because I feel good & tired then I go to sleep, the next day I feel better already. :D

Asc, come to my house when you are depressed and/or sad. You're very much welcome. :lol:
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 12, 2006
Depression is more than the blues or laziness/feeling sad; it is more than the normal, everyday ups and downs. When that "down" mood, along with other symptoms, lasts for more than a couple of weeks, the condition may be clinical depression.

So....keeping that in mind, please continue. :D

Also, if anyone here is suffering from clinical depression, it is advised that you seek treatment of some sort. Depression hinders your ability to handle everyday decisions and stresses. So be careful and take care of yourselves guys.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 12, 2006
Who can name the "40 Malls"????
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 12, 2006
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 12, 2006
bushra21 wrote:Depression is more than the blues or laziness/feeling sad; it is more than the normal, everyday ups and downs. When that "down" mood, along with other symptoms, lasts for more than a couple of weeks, the condition may be clinical depression.

So....keeping that in mind, please continue. :D

Also, if anyone here is suffering from clinical depression, it is advised that you seek treatment of some sort. Depression hinders your ability to handle everyday decisions and stresses. So be careful and take care of yourselves guys.

Not yet a clinical depression, Hon. You - naughty! :lol:
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 12, 2006
bushra21 wrote:"40 Malls"

Thanks Bushra, sharp as a knife
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 12, 2006
:D
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 12, 2006
weary_heart wrote:
asc_26 wrote:I don’t have much money here because it will go straight to a bank account back home for me not to spend on things I don’t need.

Asc, come to my house when you are depressed and/or sad. You're very much welcome. :lol:

HAHAHA..that's what my friends are telling me too dear. :D My sister too is wishing me to get depress so i'll clean her room too hahaha.. :lol: This is my outlet, when im depress i want everything immaculately clean and in order...then being obsessive compulsive comes in. Well, i want to change this attitude because nobody is perfect. :lol:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 12, 2006
i shop when I’m depressed too..my worst habit.. Tried watching Dr.phill n Opera didn't help me either. :roll:
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 12, 2006
I am still waiting for someone to tell me the name of the 40 malls that are stated in the article, I can think of maybe 10, but 40????
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 12, 2006
sage & onion wrote:

...and she's telling she doesnt like shopping hehehe :wink:
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 12, 2006
mema wrote:i shop when I’m depressed too..my worst habit.. Tried watching Dr.phill n Opera didn't help me either. :roll:

Aw, I love Dr. Phil, very sensible and helpful, methinks.
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 12, 2006
weary_heart wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

...and she's telling she doesnt like shopping hehehe :wink:

i dont hon, but its very easy to google something dont ya think?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 13, 2006
mini me loves shopping all the time , i just wish i was richer :oops: i usually shop at the begining of the month and stay away from the mall for 3 weeks :lol: :lol:
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 13, 2006
when i shop i get depressed !!.... because i dont get wht i want!
d3vilish_ang3l_88
Dubai chat master

Nov 13, 2006
so why not gt what you want when you go shopping?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 13, 2006
well..its either its too expensive...or it doesnt look godd on me..so i balme my chubbiness...n i try to lose wieght ...which BTW!! ..will make me more depressed! :evil:
d3vilish_ang3l_88
Dubai chat master

Nov 13, 2006
yeah i have that problem. i can never find a top or dress that fits me from the top...its either i cant close it or my boobs are smooshed and its impossible to breathe then. so i either have to go and try and find a really open low cut shirt that is also stretchy so i dont end up looking like im 10 months pregnant...or find a super stretch shirt....and surprisingly enough -- they are pretty hard to find :?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 13, 2006
i have no problems in buying a top...buyin jeans n trousers is a MAJOR problem..

its either too tight on my thighs..but perfect on my hips n tummy...or..perfect on my thighs..but HUGE on my hips n tummy! ... :evil:
d3vilish_ang3l_88
Dubai chat master

Nov 13, 2006
so purchase the stretchy jeans but in a size smaller. then it will be perfect everywhere.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 13, 2006
were can i buy a stretchy jeans ?? :?
d3vilish_ang3l_88
Dubai chat master

Nov 13, 2006
im pretty sure you can find them anywhere.

i like salsa (in MOE) amazing jeans...and trust me, if they fit me...they will definetly fit you. :lol:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 13, 2006
thnx hun!
d3vilish_ang3l_88
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat