On Fake Medicines

Topic locked
On Fake Medicines Feb 17, 2009
Has anyone noticed that it seems really difficult to get good medicines nowadays. Most of the prescribed medicines are local - manufactured in Saudi or UAE, as compared to originally europe and other places - and these local ones seem really ineffective.

Even worse, it is a known fact that doctors get commissions from pharma cos. to push their medicines into the market. Recently went mid-morning to a certain clinic - only to see a whole bunch of guys with suits and briefcases waiting to see the doc. Inspite of comping after them, another patient and myself got priority to see the doc first - whcih led me to conclude these guys were there on business.

Am quite confident almost all docs make commissions - the cos with the poor quality products probably give out more to them - all at the cost of our health.

michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 17, 2009
Can you back up your statements with hard evidence?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 17, 2009
nope. but if you can sponsor some bugging equipment, cameras and the sorts, yup.

what i've said is nothing new and perhaps not as news-grabbing as property and rent problems - nevertheless there is no reason why it cannot take place. you've probably never paid attention -so listen and learn.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 17, 2009
yes many DOCs take commissions , but for being a poor quality, well I would prefer the imported ones since they come from a more advanced laboratories on the other hand I think the one made here meets the specifications of quilt medicines bcz they do export the to the USA.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 17, 2009
I hate the way medications are given out like sweets over here! So many people taking antibiotics for a simple cold or flu - HELLO! They won't work on those, they're for bacterial infections only and do nothing for viruses. No wonder people immune systems are messed up.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 17, 2009
Whatever I bought here at least was not fake. I mean the Western medications. Some people from my country asked me to buy some medication in Dubai...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 17, 2009
I love the way you can get prescription medicines over the counter without prescription from some pharmacies, like the one round the corner from my office. I'm not talking about drugs with POM written on the packet, just drugs that you have to have a prescription for over here, like antibiotics.

When you do need a prescription, pharmacies will then give you your prescription back after dispensing so that you can then get another supply.
Wednesday Jones
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 17, 2009
the prescribed medicines, as doctors and pharmacists put it - is the "equivalent" of the international branded drug.

There are several times I have insisted on the original medicine. sometimes they have, sometimes they dont. sometimes the doctor would prescribe the right one - but the pharmacist would say he is out of stock and replace it with an "equivalent". these are locally made (at least they are honest about that on the label), but in my experience they are just not effective....
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 17, 2009
Wednesday Jones wrote:When you do need a prescription, pharmacies will then give you your prescription back after dispensing so that you can then get another supply.

Wow,first time hearing of that. but thats not right. they probably are not aware of the possible misuse. the med. insurance company would not like that.....
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 17, 2009
Try the pharmacy in Dubai Marina, they give it back to you with your drugs, not even date stamped with the dispensing date.
Wednesday Jones
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 19, 2009
Not on medicines - but on the quality of medical care here - see this letter in Gulf news - from a reader

Simple displeasures

I would like to report the unprofessional service extended by some doctors, in a reputed medical centre, in Sharjah. I had gone for a blood test, where one doctor used three injections, in different veins. When unsuccessful, she asked me to go to another doctor nearby. Does it take four different sessions to do such a simple task?
From A Reader
UAEName withheld by request
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 19, 2009
welcome to mini india :D

where corruption rules and so do the ppl from india
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat