Expats May Face Driving Tests

Topic locked
Oct 18, 2009
Kid, I would have no problem if I thought that the test was unbiased and of a good standard, but we all know it's not and they fail people for no apparent reason for cash purposes only and favour others because of their nationality, this has been well documented.

Certain people still have to do the test here and their driving is still appalling even afterwards - what does that tell you?

Until the instructors and test are of an international level, the whole idea is just ridiculous.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 18, 2009
I am certain that some people of a certain gender and nationality (which I will not mention :) ) have not even taken a test.

The 12 year old kids I saw behind the wheel of a land cruiser last week certainly hadn't.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 18, 2009
smoggie wrote:I am certain that some people of a certain gender and nationality (which I will not mention :) ) have not even taken a test.

The 12 year old kids I saw behind the wheel of a land cruiser last week certainly hadn't.

You're probably right!

There are so many more proactive ways to reduce the problems on the road and they're very very simple, but of course everything has to be so complicated here.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 18, 2009
if u can drive in egypt you can drive anywhere!
chriscake
Dubai Forum User

Oct 20, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Chief, I'm not just talking about the UK (which you always assume and use it as an excuse to write a bashing post!), but other countries who use rigorous tests, and I don't agree that countries such as yours should be excluded from being able to do a swap.

Chocks, if you turn on your logic (which you definitely have) you can see that excluding some nationalities (UK at first) from the cash scheme was politicaly motivated and is a form of baseless racial discrimination as even people who has valid UK license but happend to be from unpopular nationality cannot exchange their license. What UK rigorous test can do with it?
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 20, 2009
Haven't we already said that the driving licence and passport has to be of the same nationality? I think we have!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 20, 2009
abyssdesire wrote:A guy I knew had a G2 (learners licence) in Canada and it looks same as full fledged driver's licence. Not only he got the driving licence here, but he went back to Canada and got the full licence without even taking a driving test.

This is your system :)

I can confirm this is NOT true at all.
A G2 class license (Ontario), requires the person to complete a 'highway' test within 5 years from the G1 written examination date. It is not a 'learner's license' as you stated. You must pass the road test to attain one.. the G1 is the learners permit where you must have be accompanied by a fully licensed driver.

When exchanging for a Dubai license, there is no penalty (i.e. full Dubai license). However, there is no way he could drive in Dubai and return to Canada and claim a full "G" license. Not happening.

dresden
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat