Emiratis Get 15 Yrs For Raping French-Swiss Boy

Topic locked
Emiratis get 15 yrs for raping French-Swiss boy Dec 13, 2007
DUBAI (AFP)

A Dubai court on Wednesday sentenced two men from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to 15 years in jail for raping a French-Swiss teenager.

A lawyer for the victim's family said they would appeal against the sentence, which the mother considered too lenient. :lol:

The trial of the two Emirati nationals, aged 18 and 36, opened on October 24. The older of the two defendants is HIV positive, according to legal sources.

"Fifteen years is nothing for someone who knew he had AIDS," the mother, Veronique Robert, said after the verdict. "I respect their justice system and I have no other comment to make before speaking to my lawyer."

A juvenile court in Dubai is trying a third suspect in the same case. His trial is due to resume on December 25.

The accused were charged with having offered the victim and another French boy a lift from a Dubai mall on July 14, before driving into the desert where the teenager was raped while being threatened with a knife and billiard cue.

Defense lawyers claimed the 15-year-old European had consented to sex and that he had lied to the authorities. The sex act was "in consent and not forced" on the teenager, they said.

The Dubai public prosecutor's office last month demanded the maximum penalty for the two adults, one of whom said he was drunk at the time. Under UAE penal code, the maximum penalty for rape is the death sentence.

Robert publicized her son's case through a website she launched in October to muster support for her demand that the UAE recognize homosexual rape in its legal system and set up adequate bodies to treat AIDS victims.

The case has been widely reported in the Western media, some of which have seen it as harmful to the image of Dubai, a bustling leisure and business hub in the oil-rich Gulf region.

uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 13, 2007
"Fifteen years is nothing for someone who knew he had AIDS," the mother,

Capital punishment rings a bell!
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 13, 2007
geez, some people are hard to please.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dec 13, 2007
I don't think I've ever lived in a country where cases of male rape and male on male sexual assaults are so common place.

Does this happen in the UAE because some people have bypassed the censors and been exposed to such morally corrupting western influences such as p<3n and rap music or is it because they haven't been exposed to it and have no other way of relieving their pent up sexual frustrations ?
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 13, 2007
CVB wrote:I don't think I've ever lived in a country where cases of male rape and male on male sexual assaults are so common place.

Does this happen in the UAE because some people have bypassed the censors and been exposed to such morally corrupting western influences such as p<3n and rap music or is it because they haven't been exposed to it and have no other way of relieving their pent up sexual frustrations ?

Id put my two pennys worth in here....but at risk of offending...and this being an open forum.
Best keep quiet.
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 13, 2007
CVB wrote:I don't think I've ever lived in a country where cases of male rape and male on male sexual assaults are so common place.

A few high profile cases does not make them common place and they do occur all over the world, although the statistics are highly unreliable.

But there is one difference in cultures that I know of which may contribute. Male rape occurs at schools in dubai and is use as a method of bullying.
benwj

Dec 13, 2007
benwj wrote:But there is one difference in cultures that I know of which may contribute. Male rape occurs at schools in dubai and is use as a method of bullying.

That's shocking if true.
So it's a lack of discipline and education from a young age that helps contribute to this ?
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 13, 2007
benwj wrote:

A few high profile cases does not make them common place and they do occur all over the world, although the statistics are highly unreliable.

But there is one difference in cultures that I know of which may contribute. Male rape occurs at schools in dubai and is use as a method of bullying.

Do you mean Arabic schools or all in general?
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 13, 2007
CVB wrote:
So it's a lack of discipline and education from a young age that helps contribute to this ?

Probably that, plus a lack of enforcement of the laws, fear and shame by the victim and family in reporting it, leniency of punishment (these guys should have gotten life in prison and castration), etc.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 13, 2007
benwj wrote:

No issues at my school, where gurls and guys were separated. Although I nowadays I believe I'll never accept a lift from a car full of men, no matter how much "traditional hospitality" they show me.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 14, 2007
gezza wrote:
benwj wrote:

Do you mean Arabic schools or all in general?

Just local schools as far as i know.
benwj

Dec 14, 2007
Arabs lusting for fair-skinned, bodyhair-less young men is a common perception from my country. That's why when they knew I was going here to work, they'd joke me that I'd get raped.
I believed then that they were just being stereotypical. But hearing tons of stories here and experiencing personally the harassment, and now this news, well....
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Dec 14, 2007
pinoy1 wrote:Arabs lusting for fair-skinned, bodyhair-less young men is a common perception from my country. That's why when they knew I was going here to work, they'd joke me that I'd get raped.
I believed then that they were just being stereotypical. But hearing tons of stories here and experiencing personally the harassment, and now this news, well....

:lol:

Here, it is so common for males to change their shirt even in public after playing sports like basketball, but they got concious when they reach Dubai. Conscious not with ladies around, but with males lusting for males there.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 14, 2007
Segregation of boys and girls is strictly enforced in all Arabic countries from a certain age.

The pent-up frustrations of both genders are well known, however it does not forgive a straight forward rape such as this. 15 years is too lenient particularly as the one was HIV positive and knew it. If he had been an expat, they would have found out during his statutory visa blood test and he would not have been allowed in.

Yet another example of an inbalanced system.

:( :( :(

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 14, 2007
Dubai Knight wrote:Segregation of boys and girls is strictly enforced in all Arabic countries from a certain age.

The pent-up frustrations of both genders are well known, however it does not forgive a straight forward rape such as this. 15 years is too lenient particularly as the one was HIV positive and knew it. If he had been an expat, they would have found out during his statutory visa blood test and he would not have been allowed in.

Yet another example of an inbalanced system.

:( :( :(

Knight

Hmmmm :roll: I find you speaking sense here :twisted: you still judge this place with Petrol, Bepsi and Biryani :wink:
ekbechara
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat