Dubai A Melting Pot

Topic locked
Dubai a melting pot Apr 12, 2009
off late as I travel to Abu Dhabi, have started to realise that it is the capital that is actually a melting pot. I have so many nationalities having lunch together, having fun on the beach, having barbeques that its amazing. You can see Europeans, Australians, Indians, Philipinoes, Arabs all mixing around.

What went wrong with Dubai?

worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Dubai a melting pot Apr 12, 2009
worldguy wrote:off late as I travel to Abu Dhabi, have started to realise that it is the capital that is actually a melting pot. I have so many nationalities having lunch together, having fun on the beach, having barbeques that its amazing. You can see Europeans, Australians, Indians, Philipinoes, Arabs all mixing around.

What went wrong with Dubai?

Abu Dhabi was always far more Cosmopolitan that Dubai
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 12, 2009
^^^ yet Dubai sells itself as the melting pot, where the ingredients never mix.^^^
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 12, 2009
worldguy wrote:^^^ yet Dubai sells itself as the melting pot, where the ingredients never mix.^^^

Do you know that or are you assuming?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 12, 2009
I think it may be due to the fact that AD is smaller so the interaction between different cultures becomes unavoidable. Does AD also have 'ethno-specific' communities? Like Dubai has Karama for Indians, Marina for Westerners, etc?
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Apr 12, 2009
pinoy1 wrote:I think it may be due to the fact that AD is smaller so the interaction between different cultures becomes unavoidable. Does AD also have 'ethno-specific' communities? Like Dubai has Karama for Indians, Marina for Westerners, etc?

Not so defined
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 12, 2009
Dubai has advertisements screaming - melting pot of 100+ nationalities.

AD currently has no defined "ethno-specific" communities, but that might change as Al reem, Al Raha beach get completed. But with people already good friends, I do not see that changing. I went for one barbeque and had a blast just listening to every one. The funniest part was every one taking a piss on themselves, which made all the diff.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 12, 2009
worldguy wrote:Dubai has advertisements screaming - melting pot of 100+ nationalities.

AD currently has no defined "ethno-specific" communities, but that might change as Al reem, Al Raha beach get completed. But with people already good friends, I do not see that changing. I went for one barbeque and had a blast just listening to every one. The funniest part was every one taking a piss on themselves, which made all the diff.

To be honest if I entertain at home lets say 20 people, I will have at least 8 or 9 different nationalities, but hey thats me.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 12, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
worldguy wrote:Dubai has advertisements screaming - melting pot of 100+ nationalities.

To be honest if I entertain at home lets say 20 people, I will have at least 8 or 9 different nationalities, but hey thats me.

Same here, and I wouldn't want it any other way.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 12, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Same here, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Which I guess makes Dubai a Melting Pot for some people at least
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 12, 2009
I love you guys....gettin' all sentimental here.

Hope we one day meet and share a bottle or two and have a good laugh while we're at it. ;)
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 12, 2009
RobbyG wrote:I love you guys....gettin' all sentimental here.

Hope we one day meet and share a bottle or two and have a good laugh while we're at it. ;)

Sounds like a plan, and I will be able to brush up on my long forgotten Dutch :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 12, 2009
Sure, good. Can I wear my feather headdress??
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 12, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Sure, good. Can I wear my feather headdress??

I would need so see your ID first hon. :wink:
RobbyG

Apr 12, 2009
RobbyG wrote:

Good point, lol
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 12, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

Good point, lol

And I will need a photo first of each of you!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 12, 2009
Are you crazy. Men grade the meat here (in Dubai). Not a woman.

Its not America you're in hon. :lol:
RobbyG

Apr 12, 2009
^^^You are really in the potty now!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 12, 2009
^^^ your look says it all, after watching Robbie G in the mess^^^
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 12, 2009
Abu-Dhabi's alrit....initially one tends to get rather carried away with the praise, but my take is Dubai, it's way more of a melting point.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 12, 2009
It is a melting pot to some extent.
Snow
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 13, 2009
How can Dubai be a melting pot? The people think whites look Filipino or Filipinos look European. :roll:
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 13, 2009
Clearly you miss the plot of this thread.

They say some people see the world through rose colored glasses. I think you or the people you know who see such comparisons need corrective lenses.

How in the world can people confuse whites looking like Filipino or Filipinos looking European??

Apples and oranges my dear.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 13, 2009
It's a personal issue borabora. She's supposed to be a white person but those damn arabs keep mistaking her for a filipina maid. I think the issue is consuming her really bad. :cry:
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Apr 13, 2009
^^^ that does not make any sense. ^^^
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 13, 2009
pinoy1 wrote:It's a personal issue borabora. She's supposed to be a white person but those damn arabs keep mistaking her for a filipina maid. I think the issue is consuming her really bad. :cry:

dresden
Dubai chat master

Apr 13, 2009
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Apr 13, 2009
I think both Abu Dhabi and Dubai are melting pot, cant say the same about other states, many nationalities live in other states as well but don't really mix...or mix well
Jasninder
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Apr 13, 2009
dresden wrote:
pinoy1 wrote:It's a personal issue borabora. She's supposed to be a white person but those damn arabs keep mistaking her for a filipina maid. I think the issue is consuming her really bad. :cry:

Its really a breaker to see, so keep it up.

But why in the heel those Bunny's. It isn't Easter, cause it happened before! What the cookie deal here? 8)
RobbyG

Apr 13, 2009
This seems to have gone off track
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat