Dubai Halts Free Treatment For Expat Cancer Patients

Topic locked
Dubai halts free treatment for expat cancer patients Apr 23, 2011
So much for 'Dubai Cares'. Yet the other Emirates will still offer the treatments. I am at a loss as t how insurance companies can brand cancer as a pre-existing condition though.

http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php?id ... o%20crisis

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Dubai halts free treatment for expat cancer patients Apr 30, 2011
60,000 dirhams is very very very small price to pay for your life if you ask me.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Yes, but don't forget many people need lots of treatments. Where are they supposed to suddenly find all this spare cash from? And why Dubai? None of the other emirates are scraping the free treatment.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dubai pays expats pretty well. I'm sure they can foot the bill, especially if they are by definition not citizens and don't pay income tax.
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

event horizon wrote:Dubai pays expats pretty well. I'm sure they can foot the bill, especially if they are by definition not citizens and don't pay income tax.

Expats work on all levels. There is no such thing as equal pay as salary is generally based on nationality.

Your statement is based on what? Do you live in Dubai? Do you work in Dubai? If you answer NO then you are typical of someone who makes a statement from afar with know firsthand knowledge. There are many people who on the low side of wages. Even if you make 20,000 AED a month it's not alot after paying for all the necessities that one needs - food, rent, car payment, for many education for their children. Who told you that no one pays income tax? US and UK expats do pay income tax. We enjoy a tax break, but beyond a certain amount we pay taxes along with Social Security and UK expats contribute to their pension. In a way we enjoy a tax break the same way the rich in the US enjoys them. :) There are western expats that although they make a decent salary, they are struggling. Also, medical coverage here is nothing compared to the US or UK.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Dubai halts free treatment for expat cancer patients May 01, 2011
Too true Bora, once again EH has got his blinkers on. Expats, means all nationalities who are not citizens - not just the westerners. The days when expats earned big salaries are long gone. Id; say every one I know earns in the region of 10,000 Dhs - 25,000 Dhs. As BB says that's not alot when you've paid you rent and all your other living costs. Not to mention that private health insurance will cost you at least 500 Dhs a month, then they don't even cover cancer treatments!

So you seriously need to rethink your statement EH, 15,000 Dhs per treatment is ALOT of money! There's no two ways about it - cripes I don't even earn that in a month!

You also seem to forget that expats have worked very very hard to make Dubai and the UAE what it is, and this is how they get repaid? Hardly fair is it?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I wouldn't live in Dubai if I shared your moral outrage for the way Sub-continent workers are treated in Dubai or, at the very least, would donate some of my money that I felt I didn't earn (wages basically guaranteed to me because of my nationality) to these poor laborers.
event horizon

event horizon wrote:I wouldn't live in Dubai if I shared your moral outrage for the way Sub-continent workers are treated in Dubai or, at the very least, would donate some of my money that I felt I didn't earn (wages basically guaranteed to me because of my nationality) to these poor laborers.

Once again you 'assume' that certain nationalities earn more than others? This used to be the case and still is in certain sectors, however the tables have turned and companies now pay lower wages because many people (of all nationalities) are crying out for jobs.

EH you really do need to take your blinkers off and come and live in the real world every now and then, you honestly don't have a clue!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Dubai Halts Free Treatment For Expat Cancer Patients May 01, 2011
Errr, Chocs, he believes that his little world is the "real world". The majority of the expats here work damn hard for their wages - regardless of their position (except for the majority of sales people who are useless), not to mention what they have to put up with to earn it!!!! I don't think EH could survive working in Dubai - fast food chains don't pay much to begin with. :bounce: :bounce:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Very true. I think people here work ALOT harder than they would in their home countries. I wouldn't even trust EH to clean the dishes! Let alone be flipping burgers!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Bora, aren't you a housewife or something ?

And chocs, would I be right if I guessed you worked in middle level management?

Anyways, happy to know what your skill sets are.
event horizon

event horizon wrote:Bora, aren't you a housewife or something ?

And chocs, would I be right if I guessed you worked in middle level management?

Anyways, happy to know what your skill sets are.

EH, as usual you speak of what you know not!!! I gave up a career to become a lady of leisure EH, one that I enjoy very much. I leave the care of my house to someone else. :P :P
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

So if you don't contribute to the system, why should you get free medical treatment? Isn't that freeloading when everyone else works hard for a living and pays for you to receive services on the taxpayer's dime?
event horizon

event horizon wrote:So if you don't contribute to the system, why should you get free medical treatment? Isn't that freeloading when everyone else works hard for a living and pays for you to receive services on the taxpayer's dime?

For all intents and purposes I refer to the US.

Free medical treatment? No free medical in Dubai, I can assure you of that!!! As an American citizen and living in the US there is no such thing as "free medical" unless you are an illegal immigrant. It is they who don't pay into the system and receive free medical benefits along with a slew of other government benefits by virtue of their offspring. I have never received any welfare benefits. Having said I gave up a career, during which time I worked hard for a living, would mean I paid taxes into the system, which made me a taxpayer - and as a result, people lived off my dime! Anything I would receive upon retirement in the US will basically be reimbursement for those who benefited from my dime when I was paying taxes!! What I paid in taxes is probably close to your annual salary. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Dubai halts free treatment for expat cancer patients May 02, 2011
That sounds fascinating. What is your skill set again?
event horizon

event horizon wrote:Dubai pays expats pretty well. I'm sure they can foot the bill, especially if they are by definition not citizens and don't pay income tax.

BB and Chocs have said it well. Around 80% of the population are expats and the vast majority of those can't afford to shell out 15,000 AED per cancer treatment and they don't all have adequate health insurance to cover such costs.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

I've done lots of different jobs over the years - middle management? Pah not even - I've been management, found it extremely boring and hated the responsibility. I do 2 or 3 different jobs at anyone time. But as a person who talks for a living, if anything were to affect my voice, I would be screwed and my career would be dead. However, that just means your turn your talents to something else. I'm what you'd call a 'Jack of all trades and master of none'.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

event horizon wrote:That sounds fascinating. What is your skill set again?

I can tell you what I didn't do and that's to say:
Next!!! How can I help you today?? Let me repeat your order....... Is that to stay or to go? :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat