Currency Crisis?

Topic locked
Currency Crisis? Aug 11, 2011
Hello every one. :) Just wondering what you guys think about the current global debt situation. With the US Dollar in crisis, the green back loosing its value, gold soaring to record high day by day and with the AED pegged to USD, which currency do you think is comparatively a safe heaven? W

Is it any paper currency or the precious metals?

I am not asking about speculations, predictions and blah blah blah but practical measures taken by all of us. Personally I am thinking of opening foreign currency account to shift part of our savings from USD and AED. And also developing interest in the gold certificates.

What have you guys in mind? which investment is the best these days? commodities?cash?property?Bonds? :idea:

Ghalib
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Currency Crisis? Aug 11, 2011
property is always good and so is gold and precious metals!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

I had put up a thread asking about investing in gold or silver. Silver is on the rise and from what I read, will continue to do so as the demand will grow. I really don't know how much further gold can go.

Mr BB and I are looking at buying property in the States (that's where we are from) as a place to put our money now, help with the taxes, and will have a place to return to when we eventually leave Dubai. It will also serve as a home for when we make trips back during the year, at least for me as I will travel 2 or 3 times during the course of the year and stay for a month or two. Since it's really a buyer's market now, we can't go wrong as property value can't go much lower, although a possible dip in the next year, but will be on the upswing in a couple of years.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

farm land is another good investment especially for growing crops!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

rudeboy wrote:farm land is another good investment especially for growing crops!

How terribly amusing rudeboy. Are you making a take over bid as the joker of DF?
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Maybe he's in need of a job?? :o Thank goodness he didn't suggest a goat farm!!! :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Maybe he's in need of a job?? :o Thank goodness he didn't suggest a goat farm!!! :lol: :lol:

I think the goat might object Bora.
Bethsmum

i see you ladies are having a good time together ;)

anyways Ghalib some people cannot have a sensible debate on this forum!!

i ll leave with this article! http://davidgarnerconsulting.wordpress. ... -farmland/ its worth reading if you are thinking of investing!!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

rudeboy wrote:i see you ladies are having a good time together ;)

i ll leave with this article! http://davidgarnerconsulting.wordpress. ... -farmland/ its worth reading if you are thinking of investing!!

I won't bother thanks rudeboy, I already have a farm in the UK. Would you like a job? I need some s.h.i.t shovelling and you seem about the right colour.
Bethsmum

rudeboy wrote:i see you ladies are having a good time together ;)

At the expense of you RB. :lol: :lol: You are always good for a laugh, especially when you get into one of your "sensible" debates such as the one on the Riot thread where you make soooooooooooooooo much sense. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Let me qualify by saying that picking the currency markets is very difficult and if I could do it accurately, I'd be rich beyond imagination (which I'm not).

A useful indicator to what currencies are doing in the future (probably the most important indicator) is the relative interest rates between the reserve banks of different countries.

There is an interest rate table on the major curriencies: http://www.fxstreet.com/fundamental/int ... tes-table/

As you can see from the table, the US Fed is practically giving credit away at 0.25% interest which is really low especially considering back in 2007 they were lending at 4.75%. This says two things - one, the US economy is slow enough that the Fed is trying to stimulate it with cheap credit. The Fed is likely to be releasing a lot more greenbacks into circulation which is bad for inflation and bad for the relative value of the greenback.

The Bank of England is not doing much better, as they are lending at a very low 0.5% suggesting that the pound is likely to follow the greenback down in relative value.

The Euro is looking a little stronger with the European Central Bank lending at 1.5.%

Highest reserve bank rates (for a developed country) are in Australia at 4.75%.

Exports from Australia (mainly from mining) are doing so well that the Aussie reserve bank is putting the brakes on the economy and raising interest rates to restrict credit supply. This means not only are exports doing well, but the Aussie Reserve is printing less Aussie dollars keeping inflation down and pushing up the value of the Aussie. The only problem with the Aussie is it tends to be a bit unstable because of the small size of the economy compared to other countries. The Aussie has had a bit of a roller coaster ride over the last few months and took a 10% fall recently, but I think it's looking good at it's current price as the economic fundamentals are still sound.

I haven't researched this thoroughly myself yet, but New Zealand seems to be a very attractive country to invest in because they are a tax haven. There is usually no capital gains tax on investments such as shares. The relative value of the New Zealand currency tends to follow the Australian currency because so much of their trade is with Australia.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Currency Crisis? Aug 12, 2011
BethsDad must be one unlucky guy ;) :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

rudeboy wrote:BethsDad must be one unlucky guy ;) :D

Well thank you rudeboy, I was just thinking the same about your father. It's just a shame the best bit ran down your mothers leg.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:
rudeboy wrote:BethsDad must be one unlucky guy ;) :D

Well thank you rudeboy, I was just thinking the same about your father. It's just a shame the best bit ran down your mothers leg.

YIKES!!!!! and let me add: OUCH!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

aham, well Bethsmum at least give him the credit for he is the same sperm that won a battle against a million others :wink:

Bora, best wishes with the purchase :) . In my openion its more of a necessity to have at least one house/home in your home land.So kind of a compulsory investment. As for as Gold and silver is considered i believe in the old saying "Argentum et aurum comparenda sunt " i.e Gold and silver must be bought. As long as there is uncertainty in the euro-zone and the US debt, the Gold/silver will continue its rocket journey. Some guys are even predicting gold at USD: 5000/oz by 2015. :shock:

Rudeboy, guess you mean investment in the wheat and corn like commodities. Well the farmland thingy is more of a governments and multi n. organizations job, for individuals its far easy to invest in such commodities by buying shares in the mutual funds or through future contracts. But such things are risky and one shouldn't involve more than lets say 10% of his/her portfolio.

Blueshift, thanks for your insight. You are right about the Aussies.

Anyone knows in details about emirates airline Bonds? :?:
Ghalib
Dubai Forum Visitor

Thanks to blueshift and Ghalib for the info. $5,000 in 3 years!!!! That's quite a spike.

I'm going to look pretty good decked out in all those gold bars, just don't know if I'll be able to make to the bar!!!! :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat