Coming From Australia....Info Wanted

Topic locked
Coming from Australia....Info wanted Aug 07, 2005
Hi there

It looks as though I will be moving to Dubai with my husband and my 2 year old daughter in October and would really appreciate some information as to what to expect. I ean iun regards to what type of housing there is and what amount of rent I should expect to pay. How big is the expat community there? Will a boring young mother go crazy there or will I find it relatively easy to make new friends?

If someone could possible suggest various websites that me be useful in obtaining as much information as possible that would be great. There was the possibilty of moving to Malaysia and the expat forums for KL were great in obtaining an idea of what to expect.

Anway, I would love some advice and information if possible.

:P

izzywizzy
Dubai Forum Guest

excuse my spelling Aug 07, 2005
he,he....I just read over my topic and my type errors were shocking. Sorry about that. I'm sure you get what I'm saying though. :wink:
izzywizzy
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 07, 2005
come here !!!

ITS HOOOOOT!!!!!!

TRaffic is Hell !!!!

Taxis ARE expensive !!!!

rent ???? oh yeah DEAD expensive ....

you got kids ??? oh boy education will cost you a fortune ....

there are malls everywhere !!! ,,.. expats .. A LOT !!!!!!!!

Food we got them all !!! indian, Chinese, pakistani, English, Irish, Russian, Bulgarian ... ohyeah ARABIC ... and many more ...

food is ok not that expensive ... just stay away from hotels ..

if your astralian . then you would go for steaks ... then i suggest you got o the

OLD VIC... at the RAMADA Burdhubai ... then for again about steaks ... you can also try ***** 160 DH / person

Ponderosa .. and their buffet ... these is real good budget meal ponderosa ... **** 60 DH / person (every order of a steak gives you free grand buffet ...!!!!)

Boulvar Dubai Intercon .... they have Diff . Kinds of Buffet ... Diff. Every day .. ***** 135dh / person

The Steak House At the Dubai InterCon.. Awesome Steak !!!! *****
160 dh / person

You can also try Golden Fork ... *** 30 - 50Dh / Person

Dubai also have MC Donalds, Burger King, Marry Brown, KFC, Pizza Hut,.. etc..

night life ... ok since your australlian .. there is Ned Kelly's(theres a new name .. dont know what) at ascot hotel, you can put on your dancing shoes and slasa the night away at scralett. at the emirates towers ..., you can go and chill and enjoy your food and band at the hard rock cafe ... then you can go to the english and sussies fav. Rock Bottom at the regent ... if your into dancing ,...then you can gop to the lodge ... hey go there only on tuesdays ... totally free drinks for ladies hahahaha . or you can choose to be sexy at Jumeirah Beach Hotel .. Go to Sho Cho's with DJ Ellei's lounge naked house beats backed with FReshly cut Sushi and vodka !!! ... You might like the chill with light accoustic sound ... there is Acoustic Pinoy at the Airport Hotel .... wanna get funky in a exclusive couples bar .. then go to Oxygen at al bustan !!! and there are lots of places to go !!!!

or maybe you can chill under the sun ... while the cool gulf breeze touches your face like an angel's caress... while your drinking your virgin pinacolada .. while your husband do the BBQ,... your kids play and build sandcastle .... or you can go snorkling and venture to the island just right across the beach ... and this is the only beach that when the moon is bright and full ... the shores glow green ... because of the phophorous being washed to shore ... and its totally breath taking to see this at night ...

i can go on ... but ... im not really getting paid to write this ... so ... just come here and find it out your self !!! hahahahahaha :lol:
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 07, 2005
:lol: Thank you. The info was great. It sounds wonderful to me and I really had no doubt because everyone keeps telling me. Not too concerned about education at this point because my daughter doesn't start school for a couple of years yet and as for rent, my husband's company will be paying for it but as an allowance. I have checked out a few property websites and have now gotten a fair idea. Living expense seems to equal Australia (except for rent).

Night life sounds great too though I don't remeber the last time I went out. My husband has been working overseas for the last 6 months and I have been carrying out my motherly duties :wink:

Well. thanks again and I will definately frequent this site especially when we relocate.

:P

P.S. I will post my questions in the appropriate section next time. I couldnt work out why I couldn't find any info here.
izzywizzy
Dubai Forum Guest

Accommodation help Aug 16, 2005
Hi there, I am an aussie expat and have been living in Dubai for six years, you will hear negative and positive view points of Dubai but it must'nt be all that bad if I have been here that long. My boyfriend works in the real estate industry here so if you are looking for some advice or a selection of properties to view, email him your requirements on grdodd46@hotmail.com, hope it all goes well for you and good luck!
skyhigh
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat